• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cantilever brakes questions

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I have a cyclocross bike with two types of brake levers. On the shift levers and on the handlebar.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to remove the brake levers on the handlebar?

2. What type of brake cables do I have to buy when I want new ones?

Thanks for answers,
Halvor.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It is possible to remove the levers from the handlebars, but you will need to replae the cables and housing. As for the cables that you will need to buy, take your bike to the local shop and ask their best mechanic. Different cantilever systems require different cable ends to ensure that they work properly.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi Halvor,

Yup, it's definitely possible to remove those supplemental top-mounted levers. They basically just insert in between two sections of housing and the standard road-style inner cable runs continuously through the whole lot as usual.

If you're trying to do this as cheaply as possible, you won't need to replace either the cable or the housing. Just release the cable at the brake caliper end (and remove any end crimps if there are any) and slide the top-mounted levers and everything downstream of them off the inner wire. If you have a good shop in your area, ask them for two brake housing connectors (they connect two pieces of 5mm housing to form one continuous segment), install those where the top-mounted levers used to go, and then put everything back together.

Assuming you can find those housing connectors somewhere, you likely won't even have to remove the bar tape.

James Huang said:
Hi Halvor,

Yup, it's definitely possible to remove those supplemental top-mounted levers. They basically just insert in between two sections of housing and the standard road-style inner cable runs continuously through the whole lot as usual.

If you're trying to do this as cheaply as possible, you won't need to replace either the cable or the housing. Just release the cable at the brake caliper end (and remove any end crimps if there are any) and slide the top-mounted levers and everything downstream of them off the inner wire. If you have a good shop in your area, ask them for two brake housing connectors (they connect two pieces of 5mm housing to form one continuous segment), install those where the top-mounted levers used to go, and then put everything back together.

Assuming you can find those housing connectors somewhere, you likely won't even have to remove the bar tape.

So what happened to these things James? They were all the rage in the Euro cross scene just, what 2 years ago? Why did the Euros stop using them? They seem very useful to me( a guy that doesn't race cross). Too heavy?(sarcasm intended).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:
halvor- it worries me that you might not be bright enough to get on your bike facing the correct way!

:rolleyes:

Why? I'm a road cyclist, and I can do the most mechanics by myself, but cyclocross is new for me, and those top handlebar brakes I had no idea how to remove. Now I know.

Thanks for nice answer James, It don't have to be as cheap as possible, quality before quantity! :)

James Huang said:
Hi Halvor,

Good answer, except in place of housing connecters we like to use inline barrel adjusters. Jagwire and Forza are two brands that I know of. That way it is easy to adjust the brakes for different widths of rims, or as the pads wear.

TRENDING THREADS