• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carbon bars - What width ?

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone advise / offer advice on correct bar width for carbon bars.

Is there a general rule of thumb or just what suits?:confused:

Also what bars appear to be most popular / value for money in most peoples opinion.

Clearly want to upgrade current ally bar to carbon and need peoples thoughts.:cool:

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Barracuda said:

Also what bars appear to be most popular / value for money in most peoples opinion.

Clearly want to upgrade current ally bar to carbon and need peoples thoughts.:cool:

Correct bar width corresponds to rider size and has nothing to do with what material the bar is made out of.

The width of your bars should correspond to the distance between your shoulder tips (for a road bike). Be aware that most companies measure centre to centre while some measure from the outside edge (in which case you need to add 2cm's).

Carbon bars are not considered a universal upgrade. They need to be fitted carefully with a torque wrench and only offer a small degree of added comfort; better tape or gloves can achieve the same, and the weight saving over a good quality alloy bar is negligible.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that ..... refreshing to hear that from someone in the industry.:)

So in other words shoulder width should be the determining factor.

Appreciate the reply.

Does price determine quality or does the old "pay for the brand" cliche come into play ? :eek:

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Barracuda said:
Thanks for that ..... refreshing to hear that from someone in the industry.:)

So in other words shoulder width should be the determining factor.

Appreciate the reply.

Does price determine quality or does the old "pay for the brand" cliche come into play ? :eek:

Bars can get pretty personal, one person's dream bar is another person's portable torture device. Many "anatomic" bars just don't seem to fit anyone and the depth of the drop in a bar affects it's suitability for different riders. A deep drop is great if you want to get really low, where-as a shallow drop is good for people who lack the flexibility to get all the way down, but still want to be able to get a bit lower when the wind picks up; a traditional round curve means that a large hand can be comfortable anywhere on the bar, while an ergonomic/anatomic bar should have a few spots that are shaped to be ultra comfortable for a human hand.

Personally, I have 3T "Ergosum" bars on my roadie, they have a realtively shallow drop and a mild anatomic curve, they fit and suit me really well. 3T do another bar called the "Rotundo", classic traditional curve with a longer drop, great for sprinters and ideal for getting low and out of the wind. Best thing about 3T bars is they look awesome, especially when matched with white bare tape.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I have literally been through dozens of bars over the last 10 years trying the 'latest & greatest' regularly. Several months ago I also swapped to 3T Ergosum carbon LTD 44cm and I have to say that these are near the perfect bar (for me). The next closest I had ridden with a similar feel were a set of Bontrager XXX that I had on my Madone several years ago. Goodluck with your selection.

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
A bike fit recommended 44cm bars based on the shoulder measurement. What are the advantages of changing from the 42cm bars I currently have?

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
donh47 said:
A bike fit recommended 44cm bars based on the shoulder measurement. What are the advantages of changing from the 42cm bars I currently have?

your chest will be open wider, so better breathing.

your back will be more open, so less curled up and bunched up back muscles

Barracuda said:

Put three people in a room and ask about handlebars, get 4 opinions. What suits you is what suits you. Width, shape, drop, reach, big, narrow, flat tops...personal.

Carbon bars do not act to handle road buzz, BTW. Lighter only, lots more expensive and not as crash worthy as aluminum.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I have carbon bars and they are fine but not really any advantage over alum. I have noticed that many of the pros still use aluminum. However, a flat bar is nice and there are so many shapes and sizes these days that it is worth checking them out. I would also say change your tape, it's a fairly cheap up grade compared to bars.

TRENDING THREADS