• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carbon rims, aluminum rims

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have just upgraded my current Mavic Aksium rims to FSA RD 488 rims, I also had to change the brake pads to suit the new FSA carbon.
My question is: can i still use the same break pads for the my mavic rims? in case i decided the road is not very optimal for the FSA rims, can i just switch wheels without worrying about damaging the break pads, or the carbon rims once i re-install them back?

Thanks

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MMMMMMMMM said:
Hi,

I have just upgraded my current Mavic Aksium rims to FSA RD 488 rims, I also had to change the brake pads to suit the new FSA carbon.
My question is: can i still use the same break pads for the my mavic rims? in case i decided the road is not very optimal for the FSA rims, can i just switch wheels without worrying about damaging the break pads, or the carbon rims once i re-install them back?

Thanks

You should not use the brake pads you use on aluminum rims on carbon rims. Some pick up wee pieces of aluminum that can kill a carbon rim. Get some replacement pads/holders and swap. A pain but one more 'price' you pay for carbon rims.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I have done it in the past and had no problem. Swisstop Yellow kings are basically the best brake pads i've used as well.

Being yellow as well, you can ensure they are "clean", unlike cork variations.

Also, I'd question whether carbon fibre "pieces" aren't just as a bad as aluminium bits anyway!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MMMMMMMMM said:
Even after cleaning the pads?

You can but if you miss any aluminum at all you 'may' kill or at least damage those zillion dollar rims. Just replacing the blocks/holders I think is a safer alternative but whateverblowsyerskirtup.

TRENDING THREADS