• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlton kirby - has to go !!

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
Out of interest, how many countries take the English-language feed?
In Estonia our own tv channel ETV shows TDF with estonian commentary which I don't like to listen that much even tho Jaan Kirsipuu is one of co-commentator and he's ok (knows stuff about Astana as he's their sporting director). But the main commentator just doesn't know much about cycling. So I usually watch it from Eurosport international with english commentary. There's also russian one in our region but I don't understand it.

I don't think ES takes the internet chatter about commentators seriously because people say the same things about all of them. its all negative feedback all the time how are they supposed to work with that?

Dave Harmon was more than fine but internet trolls need maymays to keep themselves entertained during races.

Samson said:
In Estonia our own tv channel ETV shows TDF with estonian commentary which I don't like to listen that much even tho Jaan Kirsipuu is one of co-commentator and he's ok (knows stuff about Astana as he's their sporting director). But the main commentator just doesn't know much about cycling. So I usually watch it from Eurosport international with english commentary. There's also russian one in our region but I don't understand it.

Ok thanks, so Eurosport International is available in Estonia. Australia too I believe (or do they get Eurosport Asia?). Any others? I think there are French, Portuguese, Dutch and German versions with their own commentators?

Classic Kirby

Kirby had a golden moment yesterday.

Richie Porte cycles up alongside Sagan in the final manic kilometre and Kirby mimics what Sagan says to Porte..

'and what are you doing here ??!! '

Just hilarious. I,m actually beginning to like the annoying old git.

argyllflyer said:
Ok thanks, so Eurosport International is available in Estonia. Australia too I believe (or do they get Eurosport Asia?). Any others? I think there are French, Portuguese, Dutch and German versions with their own commentators?

We have English ES and in Southeast Asia. Local cycling commentator/reporter doesn't exist anyway in Indonesia.

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I like Kirby. I am a big fan in fact. We can all see the tv pictures and the info provided by the tv companies, which,I think, is all Eurosport have. If you don't like him turn the volume down, but he makes me laugh. i am also a football fan and the standard of commentary, especially on itv, is appalling. Dont get too serious or loose your humour.

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
"If you don't like him turn the volume down",

um,i don't think it's acceptable to follow my favourite sport with no volume or commentary due to eurosport thinking he is acceptable as a cycling commentator..

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Kirby is great with the filler material but he neglects putting in the time to be knowledgeable about the riders. He relies too much on a startlist sheet for identifying who is who. He is poor at remembering who is where in the race. Often we'll see a shot of a rider off the back of the peloton and Kirby: "This rider has attacked and is off th-- oh he's HAD A PUNCTURE and is off the back!"

cineteq said:
Kirby is the best commentaor in the market, today. You guys know nothing about TV and ratings.

April Fools Day was two weeks ago.

Kirby is good value to listen to but that is not necessarily what's being talked about - his knowledge of the sport is basic and this means that the viewer's experience is compromised. It's compounded when he's paired up with a raging bore like Magnus Backstedt who has yet to say anything meaningful in his time summarising on Eurosport.

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Luke Rowe ‏@LukeRowe1990 58s58 seconds ago
Listening to @carltonkirby commentate is painful! Cycling knowledge is very low, lucky they got @daniellloyd1 there who knows his stuff !
3 retweets 10 favorites
Reply Retweet3 Favorite10

True that.

Ah but Luke Rowe knows nothing about TV and ratings! :D

While Kirby is painful, he is best with Dan Lloyd. And worst with Sean Kelly.

argyllflyer said:
lemon cheese cake said:
He does the stuff on GCN and does comms with RCS sport at their races.

The benefit for Eurosport viewers being that that means no CK either!

I'd like to hear the GCN guys Dan and Matt Stephens work together on Eurosport, don't think it's happened yet but is inevitable eventually.
Yeah that would be good to listen to. Thing is they used to be on the same team as well (plus Si and Tom) so I hope iy happens soon.

TRENDING THREADS