• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlton kirby - has to go !!

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Carlton Kirby - has to stay !!

I live in Canada and my partner and I are avid fans of F1 and Cycling!

However, we are not F1 or Cycling "purists" and do not own a Formula 1 car or a bicycle. We do attend events as spectators and have a good overall knowledge of these sports. We particularly enjoy Mr. Kirby's commentary on cycling races, especially his musings on the landscapes and towns as we pass by on our television, and also find it most amusing to learn what he had for dinner on the previous night, and breakfast that morning. Also, his comments about the various restaurants he had graced with his presence.

Through the 3 hours of coverage we need to be entertained, as well as informed. I think he does a very nice job of this and his friendly and amusing personality keeps us engaged and interested. He may not be the world's greatest authority on cycling, but he does not need to be. His sidekick, be it Dan or Sean, are there to fill this role. His excitement as each stage is reaching its climax is most appropriate, and we really enjoy his enthusiastic response to events as they unfold.

In terms of expanding the viewing audience of this great sport, I would suggest viewers like us represent a large portion of the potential audience - not just the "purists" as the writer of this post obviously is. If we had to suffer 3 hours of listening to cycling "experts" discussing the merits of "tubed" or "non-tubed" tires, or the lifetime statistics of each rider in the Peloton we would simply fast-forward to the sprint on each Stage. We must endure (in Canada) listening to David Coulthard and Co. for Formula 1 racing and his endless ramblings about tire construction, heat dissipation and brake pad properties is almost enough to drive us to watching Nascar!

If Carlton happens to get the occasional riders name wrong, so what? He got the Canadian rider Ryder right.

If exclusive rather than inclusive is what you want then fine, but many existing and new viewers like us will be lost.

Just my opinion.

Jerry S. Calgary. Canada.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
jerrys said:
Eurosport was on and covering an endurance car race with Kirby while I was too busy to switch it of.
I went out for 10 mins and when I returned Kirby was still babbling and chuckling in his same manner but the program had changed to cycling. No difference in his commentary generalizations of pure Waffle.
Eurosport Cycling for the Pictures and Audio MUTE for Kirby, Declan and Maggy.
The early years of Harmon also but Sean Kelly put so much effort into his racing knowledge that he became acceptable.
The Kiby Joke this week is that he falls off while trying to ride a Fix Wheel and he Waffles about "Track Racing" :)
Kirby spends most of his time in ES HQ and is cost effective to cover any sport that needs a "Fill In" and the reason this Cheap Eurosport won't get rid of him.
Just keep the pictures coming, Please.

I have to admit that he used to irritate me a lot but he has now grown on me like an incurable fungus ! He is still nowhere near the worst commentator I have heard. I like the long silences from Sean Kelly when Kirby has said something so meaningless that it's not worth commenting on so you have dead silence for about 30 seconds until Kirby gets edgy and has to jump in with a comment about the local wines or goats.

jerrys said:
Carlton Kirby - has to stay !!

However, we are not F1 or Cycling "purists" and do not own a Formula 1 car or a bicycle. We do attend events as spectators and have a good overall knowledge of these sports. We particularly enjoy Mr. Kirby's commentary on cycling races, especially his musings on the landscapes and towns as we pass by on our television, and also find it most amusing to learn what he had for dinner on the previous night, and breakfast that morning. Also, his comments about the various restaurants he had graced with his presence.

Through the 3 hours of coverage we need to be entertained, as well as informed. I think he does a very nice job of this and his friendly and amusing personality keeps us engaged and interested. He may not be the world's greatest authority on cycling, but he does not need to be. His sidekick, be it Dan or Sean, are there to fill this role. His excitement as each stage is reaching its climax is most appropriate, and we really enjoy his enthusiastic response to events as they unfold.

In terms of expanding the viewing audience of this great sport, I would suggest viewers like us represent a large portion of the potential audience - not just the "purists" as the writer of this post obviously is. If we had to suffer 3 hours of listening to cycling "experts" discussing the merits of "tubed" or "non-tubed" tires, or the lifetime statistics of each rider in the Peloton we would simply fast-forward to the sprint on each Stage. We must endure (in Canada) listening to David Coulthard and Co. for Formula 1 racing and his endless ramblings about tire construction, heat dissipation and brake pad properties is almost enough to drive us to watching Nascar!

If Carlton happens to get the occasional riders name wrong, so what? He got the Canadian rider Ryder right.

If exclusive rather than inclusive is what you want then fine, but many existing and new viewers like us will be lost.

Just my opinion.

It should bother you that newcomers are being fed utter nonsense by him because his ego is too big to either say a) I don't know, or b) defer comment to the expert sitting next to him.

I'm genuinely glad you enjoy The Carlton Kirby Show - if only because you get to see great cycling at the same time, but I guarantee as newcomers gain more knowledge of what's going on, you'll spend more and more time shaking your head at how incorrect he continues to be. Unfortunately, you'll have to gain that knowledge some other way, because Carlton Kirby is too busy laughing at his own jokes to actually get better at his job.

He would be instantly less harmful if he simply stopped pretending to know what he doesn't know.

Suffering through Carlton for the European Track Champs. His co-commentator, Tony Gibb, is clearly getting annoyed at him. Carlton must have ended a sentence with one of his throwaway lines like "if you know what I mean", and the other guy responded "I don't know what you're saying most of the time. I come in, you waffle, I talk cycling and we both go home".

annother of Kirbys insulting attributes is the way he belittles the country's landmarks. Its pretty obvious that the country sends the tv broadcaster a sheet of the noted landmarks that the villages and towns want advertised. Kirby then belittles the landmark and makes insulting jokes about why they are being pointed out.

Jesus H.
I can't turn my back and get a good night's sleep before some yobbo starts a thread to bash my man Carlton Kirby.
I swear to god that I'm going to buy this web site and appoint myself the one and only moderator before perma-banning the whole lot of you.
Be warned.

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
annother of Kirbys insulting attributes is the way he belittles the country's landmarks. Its pretty obvious that the country sends the tv broadcaster a sheet of the noted landmarks that the villages and towns want advertised. Kirby then belittles the landmark and makes insulting jokes about why they are being pointed out.
That is geniunly funny though.

A bit wierd that no one (Eurosport) do anything about it though. I think it's a cycling commentators job to tell you abit about these places. Sometimes he doesn't even know anything it seems. Wonder if he throw the papers away when he gets them. :D

Nothing has made watching cycling more challenging than this childish, overly-excitable cretin. I live my life with the prospect of him either retiring or being fired in the near future- the mere thought of this provides me with motivation for my day. He is always awful, but this Giro he has been even more insufferable than usual.

Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
I know Kirby is bad, but I keep the volume on because he's like an excited, drunk fan adding to the atmosphere. Today I had to mute it. Sat here in silence, listening to the hum of my refrigerator instead.
I sooooo totally agree with your first sentence. And I miss him to an extend, as I rely on streams, I don't get him, and even watch Israeli TV when I have to. :eek:

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
Some while ago, as the peloton was cruising sedately through a remote forest, Kirby's mind drifted (as it often does) to thoughts of restaurants, food, and the delights of wild boar casserole. Of course, being a 'game' meat, wild boar has to be 'hung' for a period of time and he conceded that the flavour could be rather too strong at times. He concluded that it probably all depended on how 'well hung' the boar had been . . . I shall miss this type of humour after the Eurosport directors receive the petition with it's dozens of signatures.

I was recently briefly watching a Eurosport motorcycling broadcast (or was it cars?) and you'll never guess who the excited commentator was! However, I then realised his main value to Eurosport . . he can effortlessly cover any sport . . just inert a new battery, then press the button and off he goes.

Kirby has completely lost it. Look at his tweets since Froome was cleared. He's not even trying to hide his bias anymore, he's gone full fanboy.

"I guess it’s time to get on with being The Greatest !"
https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1013718632101220353

"Why not celebrate the great news that @chrisfroome ‘s @giroditalia win is just fine and dandy by treating yourself to a record of the great race. Just 150 signed and numbered Kirby Codecs for Giro101 available @Ride_Velo ...shame not to!"
https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1013758331759091712

"Zoom in on stage 19. What a day that was! ....all fair and square too don’t forget. “Rare and wondrous” ...miss spelled in the excitement!"
https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1014044409116184576

"It is indeed remarkable how quiet so many @chrisfroome accusers have become. They should at least have the guts to apologise if only for the safety and well-being of any @LeTour riders about to suffer insults and worse from those who have been, and remain, ill informed"
https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1014913883323105281

And these gems:
".mmmm. Some people accuse me of being a SKY hater... could you all get together and sort it out?"
https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1013756859625467904

"You’re aptly named ***"
https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1014974459214794755

Feel sorry for those who will have to endure his nonsense for the next 3 weeks.

He's hilarious. Don't forget that he gets all emotional about great efforts from other teams/nations/riders than SKY and Froome. He's flippin useless with calling things at the sharp end of a race ... but his real value comes on those long tedious sprint stages where nothing happens and he can regale us with tales of travelling Europe in his camper van or whatever. I like him BECAUSE he is Partridge.... i just turn the sound down if he gets annoying.

He's having some fun with track events it seems. He's being kept behind a divider for his own protection :D

FCdWfUtXIAI4qNx

FCZMat7WEAE1zLZ

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
It's been more than 10 years now since the creation of this thread, but Carlton Kirby is still here. In my opinion he sucks, but he sucks with a style of his own, I'll give him that.
I agree with everything you said except for the "He sucks" part. Not sure what you mean by "Sucking with a style of his own, " but if you're referring to his references to history, literature, use of metaphors and an amazing call to the finish line as "sucking," then yeah, ok. Whatever floats your boat. No harm no foul.
You might not like the attributes that Carlton Kirby displays, but the man is a legend. A statue should be made in his honour in cities where he made memorable calls to the ending of a bike race.
Remember the time that guy from Quick Step overcooked a corner and hit the deck in the Tour of Turkey? Not only was he on his way to winning solo, the guy from Quick Step got up from the pavement only to realize his chain was off the big ring as the peloton was rushing toward him like a freight train, he managed to fix the problem before hopping back on the saddle and cross the line ahead of the charging peloton.
Kirby was losing his mind, and in my not so humble opinion, he managed to call one of the most memorable finishes to a bike race I have ever heard.
I'll post the Youtube clip if you haven't seen it.
You've been warned!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS