• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlton kirby - has to go !!

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The mute button is your friend. There are very few occasions when either Kirby or Harmon will tell you something that you don't already know or can't see with your own eyes. So why bother to listen to their drivel? It's like not reading CN articles, life is more enjoyable not reading CN and not listening to Harmon, than reading CN or listening to Harmon.

Its totally ridiculous though that these guys are commentating. And theres only one way to get them off and thats writing to Eurosport and threads like this. IF EVERYONE PUT THE MUTE BUTTON ON, THEN NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

Even Sean Kelly is becoming lazy, not bothering to commentate or inform when he should be. He only comments when Harmon asks for input - he needs to stop cashing the paycheque and ****** off.

I looked at Cyclevox (the agency Brian Smith works for) and they only have Backstedt and Paul Watson who have actually been pro-riders....I dont watch ITV4 with Liggett and Sherwen but I read they are also atrocious.

Ex riders and coaches should write to Eurosport and offer their sevices.

My friend is an ex directeur sportif and sitting with him watching the Vuelta was great - i learned so much from just one stage...

And yes I know all these guys like Malcolm Elliott and Rob Hayles are actually working for a living (riding) but there must be other ex-riders who can do the job. Harmon, Kelly and Kirby have milked the gravy train enough, they need the viewers to get them booted off. How Kirby manages to get himself on EVERY cycling event going is unbelieveable - he even has the arrogance to tell us about his bloody brother and how we should google him.

If more people Tweeted Kirby and told him to get off the job we may get somewhere as he does read them. Yes - I am on a crusade - these guys ruin cycling coverage and its totally unnecessary. They have had their day when cycling had 3 viewers - it is now a HUGE sport and we require intelligent and informative commentary !!

Cycle Chic said:
Its totally ridiculous though that these guys are commentating. And theres only one way to get them off and thats writing to Eurosport and threads like this. IF EVERYONE PUT THE MUTE BUTTON ON, THEN NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

Even Sean Kelly is becoming lazy, not bothering to commentate or inform when he should be. He only comments when Harmon asks for input - he needs to stop cashing the paycheque and ****** off.

I looked at Cyclevox (the agency Brian Smith works for) and they only have Backstedt and Paul Watson who have actually been pro-riders....I dont watch ITV4 with Liggett and Sherwen but I read they are also atrocious.

Ex riders and coaches should write to Eurosport and offer their sevices.

My friend is an ex directeur sportif and sitting with him watching the Vuelta was great - i learned so much from just one stage...

And yes I know all these guys like Malcolm Elliott and Rob Hayles are actually working for a living (riding) but there must be other ex-riders who can do the job. Harmon, Kelly and Kirby have milked the gravy train enough, they need the viewers to get them booted off. How Kirby manages to get himself on EVERY cycling event going is unbelieveable - he even has the arrogance to tell us about his bloody brother and how we should google him.

If more people Tweeted Kirby and told him to get off the job we may get somewhere as he does read them. Yes - I am on a crusade - these guys ruin cycling coverage and its totally unnecessary. They have had their day when cycling had 3 viewers - it is now a HUGE sport and we require intelligent and informative commentary !!

Eurosport will never get rid of Carlton Kirby, he receives so much fan-mail that it will far out way any negative feedback they get from him.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
His mum must be very busy writing all that fan mail. Who, apart from the mentally ill, infirm, bored or family, would write fan letters to Kirby?

Probably the same type of people would write letters/emails/tweets/forum messages slagging him off :rolleyes:

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
It must cost you two a fortune in postage to keep on sending in those letters every day. Still keeps Carlton and you off the streets.

He must be the only person to receive fan mail written in crayon.

The problem is that you are one of the most negative hate filled people that cycling forums have ever seen. You have never posted anything positive about anything. As far as I can see the only things you like are an outdated grudge band and a moderate standard British prank call TV show.

Carlton may not be the best , but he's enthusiastic about the sport. You on the other hand hate it. You really hate it it and find it only as an outlet for your pitiful frustrations.

Your tragedy is that you think you inform opinion, when really people think you're a clown.

(I don't really think much of Kirby, but he's 100 times what MJM is)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
WorldsGreatest said:
he's okay and I like harman.

who the fk is the aussie doing the itv commentary in the vuelta?:mad:

it is beyond terrible.

it is better when the studio guys do it.

Matt Keenan. Does a lot of commentating for SBS and is quite good imo. In saying that he seems to feel the need to mention Cadel Evans or BMC every two seconds even in a race he is not in.:p

Mambo95 said:
The problem is that you are one of the most negative hate filled people that cycling forums have ever seen. You have never posted anything positive about anything. As far as I can see the only things you like are an outdated grudge band and a moderate standard British prank call TV show.

Carlton may not be the best , but he's enthusiastic about the sport. You on the other hand hate it. You really hate it it and find it only as an outlet for your pitiful frustrations.

Your tragedy is that you think you inform opinion, when really people think you're a clown.

(I don't really think much of Kirby, but he's 100 times what MJM is)

Its posts like this that fulfill no point to the thread. Take your loathing of Mrs Murphy somewhere else or send him a private message. Forums are not for personal insults and comments....the moderators should have taken this post out in my opinion. The threads are for constructive criticism - yes I think Kirby is an arrogant twerp but thats beside the point that he is incompetent to commentate on Eurosport cycling races and I backed it up with evidence and opinion.

Cycle Chic said:
Its posts like this that fulfill no point to the thread. Take your loathing of Mrs Murphy somewhere else or send him a private message. Forums are not for personal insults and comments....the moderators should have taken this post out in my opinion. The threads are for constructive criticism - yes I think Kirby is an arrogant twerp but thats beside the point that he is incompetent to commentate on Eurosport cycling races and I backed it up with evidence and opinion.

I dispute the idea that "THIS GUY SUCKS! FIRE HIM!"

... then after the next race he does "THIS GUY SUCKS! FIRE HIM!"

and constantly reviving a thread long after it's died to say "THIS GUY SUCKS! FIRE HIM!"

Can be considered in any way to be "constructive" criticism. Your posts in this thread help with construction about as much as Timothy McVeigh.

Libertine Seguros said:
I dispute the idea that "THIS GUY SUCKS! FIRE HIM!"

... then after the next race he does "THIS GUY SUCKS! FIRE HIM!"

and constantly reviving a thread long after it's died to say "THIS GUY SUCKS! FIRE HIM!"

Can be considered in any way to be "constructive" criticism. Your posts in this thread help with construction about as much as Timothy McVeigh.

To be fair, you're one of the last posters on this forum in any position to comment on repetative complaints.

There is no hatred here directed at Mr Kirby - the fact is that this guy should not be commentating on Cycling Races on Eurosport. He is a funny guy and has funny comments - BUT we require cycling commentary not Ricky Gervais wannabees. I believe he has been shunted from sport to sport on Eurosport because his incompetence is ultimately discovered by the viewers.

Cycling now needs another experienced commentator not this arrogant guy.

Here is a post on the Eurosport Forum which sums up Carlton Kirby's incompetence at cycling commentary.

"Since I heard M Carlton Kirby’s comments during the Quebec-Montreal Grand Prix Cycliste 2011, I have to admit I got so shocked I did not wait till the Grand Prix was over to unsubscribe to this sport channel.

Mr Kirby does not seem to know much about Canada's history nor about the Quebec region and the people living there. Nevertheless, a lack of knowledge is good enough to spread pejorative remarks about the History of Canada, the people of Quebec and also wrong details regarding the culture and the landmarks of the city.

First of all. Mr Kirby described the Chateau Frontenac, a hotel built by the Canadian Pacific (a british colonial company) in 1896, as an ancient french fortress. He also described the Jardins de Merici, a luxurious condominium complex, as the "University of Quebec". He said there was a big pool in the middle but: "hey, universities have big pools, right?".

Also on the second day of the race, he stipulated that the people of Quebec City do not like English speakers because the British won the Eight-Years War against the French in 1763. Nonsense! Quebec City is one of the most beautiful cities to visit in North America. It is safe, clean, with a great history and filled with english-speaking tourists all year long. Quebec City has even an english-speaking community. But since the majority is Irish and not English, perhaps it explains why he did not consider the ‘irish-speaking’ people in his comments.

Were these sarcastic remarks filled with resentment towards the Canadians and their History made purposely to hammer down on the Quebec province? Were they showcased viciously on an international sport channel so that anyone watching this race would not dare to visit Quebec? Perhaps that would never be Eurosport intentions but how about Mr Kirby’s ones?

There are so many examples like these regarding Mr Kirby’s comments during the Quebec-Montreal Grand-Prix race. While the people of Quebec strived to organize an international cycling event, which Eurosport is surely proud to showcase, Mr Kirby seems to have used his international tribune in order to spread his offensive views on air. I just could not believe Eurosport would allow and tolerate such a behavior.

Since the creation of the Modern Olympics, sports events are a way for nations to compete on a non-political basis, no matter the origins of the athletes, their race, their religion or their political views. The athletes learn that as they strive for the best but how about sport commentators?

Honestly, I felt really sorry for the people of Quebec. I believe Mr Kirby owes them a public apology. Let me know when it will be on air. I shall subscribe back exclusively to hear that.

Meanwhile, I will keep the second day of the Grand Prix Cycliste Quebec-Montreal as my last experience on Eurosport. If Monsieur Kirby knows as much about cycling as he knows about those cities and nations he describes, cycling on Eurosport is definitely not worth. Afterall, wouldn't such comments be anti-sportive by nature?

Mr Kirby is the last things cycling around the world need to promote races. Through his subjectivity and lack of knowledge, we can only hope he does not reflect the true image and character of the English people towards the world, especially with the coming London 2012 Olympic Games. "

I would like to have Kirby and David Harmon submit their PALMARES and let the cycling viewing public vote if they should be commentating on Professional Cycling - rather than the school sports day.

Carlton Kirby knows far more about Quebec than he does about professional bike racing. Which is the problem I guess.

Both him and Harmon need to start commentating on the race we are watching and stop editorialising / plugging their private ventures / mates products.

TRENDING THREADS