• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav disqualified!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Oh dear!

Cav disqualified to the back of the bunch for pushing TH into the barriers.

Not a good day for Columbia with GH missing Yellow by five seconds.

Rgds

Pete

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
While it is true that playing strictly by the rules, Cavendish should be disqualified, it disappoints me that Hushovd has to file complaints to win the green jersey.

It's quite clear from the footage that Cavendish would have beat Hushovd even if the latter had not been boxed in, so if this incident ends up determining the winner of the green jersey, Hushovd will have won it in the offices and not on the road.

A

Anonymous

i think thats BS to be honest.. sprints are physical..

Thor complained yesterday that someone dared to challenge him for a minor place, today hes whining to the officials that the sprint was a bit physical..

If he wants to win the jersey like that.. F*** him.. let the whining idiot have it..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pete the penalty was relegation. Disqualification would put him out of the race. He was placed last in the group he was riding with or around 154th place.
Penalties are
Warning
Reprimand
Relegation
Disqualification
Suspention.

The race jury can apply the first 4. Suspentions are an administrative function by the UCI or federation.

A second warning gets a reprimand on the road and if in the same event a Disqualification on the track.

These are all defined terms in the rules.

I did not see the sprint

A

Anonymous

yeh.. thor got boxed out but not that much.. but the difference it makes

result stands - 4pts difference.. So whichever of thor or cav comes ahead in paris wins the jersey

result as it is now 13pts difference, even if cav wins in paris, thor only needs to finish 4th to stay in green...

So barring miracles Thor has just won himself the green jersey by complaining and whining.. absolute P take and he should be ashamed of himself personally.. that is not how to win a jersey..

robbie mckewans twitter..
most they should have done if anything was reverse placings.

i agree if anything.. stripping all of his points of him is stupid, he did not gain 140 places by nudging Thor.. I think this may get overruled again yet when columbia appeal..

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Columbia have said the decision is final and they have no right to appeal. Therefore... yeah, Hushovd has virtually won himself the green jersey with a tantrum. Admirable.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
1. The jury relegated Cavendish before they got Cervelos protest/complaint.
2. Hushovds protest: yeah, he can be a whiner sometimes.
3. Cav could easily have beat Hushovd, but he clearly wasn't interested in sprinting, just trying to box off Thor. It's easy to see he's not sprinting full power, but constantly looking to his sides and behind him trying to box in Thor. He had it coming to him.
4. Cavs motivation for this sprinting with his breaks on was to try to give the yellow to Hincapie, but it didn't work at all.

dimspace said:
So barring miracles Thor has just won himself the green jersey by complaining and whining.. absolute P take and he should be ashamed of himself personally.. that is not how to win a jersey..

What a load of crap. Does anyone think that if the situation was reversed that Cav would not be running his yap at full blast, complaining to anyone who would listen and a lot who would not. Big Mouth got what he had coming to him. His fans should man up and take it on the chin.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Others might disagree, but this business of stage-managing yellow, because George is a nice guy, then getting their comeuppance in the sprint because of a technicality, all seems a bit much. It's a result of trying to "stage-manage" things. This is what caused the problem.

I think these attempts to stage-manage results give cycling a bad name. We need more of a wide-open competition, not an Astana/Columbia duopoly.

Pot Belgique said:
Bet he spits his dummy out and abandons tomorrow.....but then again it was never about the green jersey was it ;):confused:......Was it?

I think they were using the time honored technique of refusing to admit what their goal was. If they succeeded then they could crow about how great they were, and maybe even put some more signs on their bus. If they failed they could claim they were not trying to win the points competition.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Poor sportsmanship indeed from Cav, trying to cheat Thor out of a few points.

I cheer for Thor in the green jersey, but I will tip my hat to anybody who wins it fair and square. What Cav did today was total bull**** and he got what he deserved. :mad:

McEwen can twitter whatever he wants, it's not like he hasn't pulled of a few fast ones himself over the years, he is just a bit more sly about it so he (usually) doesn't get caught. :cool:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pot Belgique said:
Bet he spits his dummy out and abandons tomorrow.....but then again it was never about the green jersey was it ;):confused:......Was it?

Are you talking about Thor? Wasn't he whining yesterday at Velits who dared outsprint him to the line? How dare he pass the god of thunder!!!?
Thor seems to put his hand up more than any other sprinter...
wait
CAV puts his hands up more but that is a victory salute whereas Thor just protests...alot:D

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
As a neutral (I like both Cavendish and Husvord). I would blame Columbia's Ds. Earlier in the stage he had his team ride on the front in pursuit of the break(much to Ag2r's surprise) which prought the time gap down....then on the run in to the finish they went to the front and spralled across the road to stall the bunch....Cavendish was but into an arkward position trying not to do a full sprint and keep the pace down...neither worked....he had to switch his line.. and ended up getting relagated and Hincapie didn't get the jersey.....Columbias DS needs a kick in the ****.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand why no one is talking about the Columbia response to all this. I watched the sprint and my first thoughts were:

*wtf is Columbia doing sprinting for, they are taking the yellow away from George!
* whatever Cav did didn't look that bad on tv.

Now I read that the barriers jutted out a bit Cav adjusted his line to that, NOT to block Thor. I will have to watch again and look for that.

Ok. I just watched it in slow-mo. The barriers DO jutt out. Looks like Cav kept his line and Thor got boxed in?

I don't know, but it doesn't seem right for his to lose all those spots.

I LIKE Thor/sprinters in general, but is he now the God of Whiners?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
It is only a matter of time before Julian Dean takes Cav out to the back of the wood shed for a common wealth beat down. As fast as cav is dude is uncouth and his smack is too personal

Julian Dean looks like one of those local rugby lads sitting at the end of the pub 5 pints deep waiting fro someone to tell him he is too short to play...now there is a lad. grog on me Julian if you get er done

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Thor a whiner?

and you are a vagina

Beautiful. No response to my interpretation of the slo-mo replay? I am curious what others think. Not about my opinion of how the race finished, but how others view the barriers, taking a certain line, WHY Cav was penalized, if you think that was right or not (I am sure I must be missing something - surely the TDF never makes mistakes like this, right ? :rolleyes:)

Did Thor complain at the end of yesterday's stage? yes. Did he complain at the end of today's stage? yes. Thems the facts. He keeps that up, he WILL be labeled a whiner. As I said, I like Thor, I like sprinters, but as most of us know just from riding recreationally.....there is NO room for complaining/whining in riding. Over ONE position, ONE point....in a 3 week long race, I don't like it.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
What a load of crap. Does anyone think that if the situation was reversed that Cav would not be running his yap at full blast, complaining to anyone who would listen and a lot who would not. Big Mouth got what he had coming to him. His fans should man up and take it on the chin.

we have no way of knowing what he would do or say. id like to think he would just go out next stage and deal with it on the road rather than in the judges office

i just think its ruined what was looking to be an absoltely amazing green jersey competition, thor in the hills, cav on the flat, was going to be a nailbighting finish..

hope thor is pleased with his jersey.. w......ker

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I am not seeing it. I don't really care one way or the other, no bias for or against either sprinter, but I have watched it several times and I still don't see it. Looks to me like Cav stays straight and Thor gets squeezed into the barriers. I mean....they are sprinting, so BOTH bikes are moving back and forth pretty fast, but since there is a bend in the road and/or the barriers widen/bulge out....it is nearly impossible to tell if Cav intentionally cut Thor off. It doesn't seem blatant enough to be penalized.

A

Anonymous

fairplay said:
I think the pictures in Aurelio's post halfway down the page in the link below shows the situation pretty well:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12637229&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=160

Clearly Cav is moving to the right. Notice also how he looks to the right before closing the door.

so ok.. if cav was in the wrong

a) should it have been ALL of his points and as is a 13pt pretty much unnasaible gap to green
or the positions reversed and cav and thors finishing positions changed over (cos lets face it, cav did not gain 140 spots in doing it)

b) should thor just take it on the chin and get ready for more pts up for grabs or should thor run whining to the judges.. ooooh.. somefinished in front of me on friday... oooooh.. cav nudged me near the barriers on saturday..

I hope cav does win in paris, and i hope thor finishes 5th and loses the damn jersey just so he can moan at all the people who dared finishing in front of him.. ive always like thor, the wife loves him, but even she thinks he should just man up, stop moaning and get on with the next stage..

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
cheerfulscout74 said:
this tour is slowly becoming a farce... next we'll have LA and AC going toe to toe at the team bus... hang on... that would be interesting!!

I'd settle for an exciting game of rock, paper, scissors myself. Might have to turn on Golf to get some excitement.