• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish - Where Next?

A

Anonymous

May as well have a thread for this one as no doubt it is going to run and run with his contract due to end at the end of the season..

I was excecting it to be at least may or june before the rumours started.. but no..!

The norwegian press are already saying Sky want him
LINK HERE

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A contract extension clause in the contract allows Columbia to extend the contract unilaterally with a certain pre-set wage rise, irrespective of whether he wants to stay or not. He's already urged them to activate the clause and Stapleton has already confirmed they will as soon as the window of dates in which they can do so (set in the contract) opens.

A

Anonymous

Personally, i dont think he will join sky, and unless columbias lead out train gets savaged by other teams, or renshaw going i cant see him leaving Columbia.. However we have already seen the Sky machine at work over Wiggins, and Swift... How many other teams will be prepared to make Mark that unrefusable offer..

But, this one will run and run.. the norwegians have started it.. how many more rumours before he puts pen to paper.. :D

A

Anonymous

I wonder actually.. Sky are obviously after sprint wins, but have been whupped by Greipel so far.. BUt are they trying to send the message.. We have the best lead out train...

Frankly im just flabbergasted that the first rumour has appeared in January..

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Do Sky want Cav?: uhh Yeah!

But can sky compete with HTC in the sprints? Thats a big question, and one that we can only assume right now, NO. Until Sky can provide exactly what Cavendish wants, he's going nowhere.

I think one day he'll end up at Sky, but next season. Nope.

A

Anonymous

ImmaculateKadence said:
Agreed. It hasn't even crossed my mind. I mean we're not even a complete race into the season yet. :rolleyes:

wont even mention then that the article is from the 15th before the first race even started..

gotta hand it to the norwegians..

Hello geoff by the way.. :D

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish will go to Sky it's just a matter of time I think.
It's what we all want. The big showdown: Cavendish vs. Greipel.
Might as well ad Farrar to that battle.

A

Anonymous

Where did this come from? Norway? Now I wonder why Norwegians might want to destabilise The Cav...

We will hear this endlessly until Paris. And none of it will have any foundation whatsoever.

FWIW I can't see Cav preferring Sky to HTC any time soon - a team built around winning the tour (eventually) where he could not expect 100% support against a team built around him? Why would he?

And another thing, those thinking a Cav v Greipel showdown would be the height of sprinting are hugely underestimating Ed B-H. My tip of the year - Ed B-H for the Worlds. He'll be the nearest thing to Sean Kelly since.. well, Sean Kelly (not that that comparison will help my prediction for him winning the Worlds! ;) )

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
And another thing, those thinking a Cav v Greipel showdown would be the height of sprinting are hugely underestimating Ed B-H. My tip of the year - Ed B-H for the Worlds. He'll be the nearest thing to Sean Kelly since.. well, Sean Kelly (not that that comparison will help my prediction for him winning the Worlds! ;) )

I will admit that my knowledge regarding EBH is limited, but I think he is much more than a sprinter. I suspect He will be competing in races where Cavendish will have no chance

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
Does Cav have any previous ties to Brailsford through Track racing or otherwise like Swift and Wiggins had?

just a few..

Norwegian media are only writing this because the general cycling fan in Norway fear that Cavendish will come to Sky, because we really don't wan't to see EBH being turned into a lead-out slave (like Columbia is doing to Tony Martin).

To the person talking about EBH challenging Cav/Greipel: EBH is not a pure sprinter, and unless he decides to focus solely on sprinting, he won't beat them (unless it's an uphill sprint). EBH has a lot more qualities than only sprinting, and with his amazing VO2 max etc it would, in my opinion, be a shame to see him becoming a pure sprinter.

A

Anonymous

maltiv said:
And with his amazing VO2 max etc it would, in my opinion, be a shame to see him becoming a pure sprinter.

yeh.. his 02 figures had me a bit :eek::eek:

A

Anonymous

maltiv said:
To the person talking about EBH challenging Cav/Greipel: EBH is not a pure sprinter, and unless he decides to focus solely on sprinting, he won't beat them (unless it's an uphill sprint). EBH has a lot more qualities than only sprinting, and with his amazing VO2 max etc it would, in my opinion, be a shame to see him becoming a pure sprinter.

Yeah, EBH is much more than only sprinting, but the noises coming out of Sky suggest he has the power to challenge anyone in a sprint if he just alters one or two things. As he's already good, any slight improvement, and with a Sky train to follow, will take him into the Cav/Greipel realm. I could easily see him challenging for Green if he wants to this season. But yeah, I agree that he'd be wasted as a sprinter. As I said before, I'm hoping for the next Sean Kelly!

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
What are they exactly?

His last oxygen level reading in '08 was just above 86, higher than LA and closing in on Indurain..

Wonder what it is now..

TRENDING THREADS