• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav's Bro Done for Dope

Three men charged with importing over £50,000 worth of drugs and possessing them with intent to supply have been remanded in custody.

Twenty-three-year-old Andrew James Cavendish, of Lhon Dhoo Close, Onchan, Matthew William Raymond Teare, 26, of Creggans Avenue in Peel and 25-year-old Christopher Ackers of Aintree in Liverpool all appeared before a magistrate at Douglas Courthouse this morning.

Their next appearance is before the High Bailiff on Tuesday.

I wonder what his nickname will be? How about "The Manx Mobster"?
Not a story to boost bro's credibilty.:eek:

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I wonder what his nickname will be? How about "The Manx Mobster"?
Not a story to boost bro's credibilty.:eek:

This in my opinion has no effect on Mark Cavendish's credibility. As if any of us can control what our 23 yr old brothers do. The kid messed up and he should be judged fairly and held accountable if appropriate. And the rest of us should stick to cycling issues instead of blogging about riders' families.

pedaling squares said:
This in my opinion has no effect on Mark Cavendish's credibility. As if any of us can control what our 23 yr old brothers do. The kid messed up and he should be judged fairly and held accountable if appropriate. And the rest of us should stick to cycling issues instead of blogging about riders' families.

If it's street drugs, I'm 100% with you. If they're PED's, you realistically have to start asking questions. Note that asking a question is not an accusation.

Does anyone have info on what drugs they were busted with?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

+ 1

Great post -absolutley agree.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cannabis is actually supposed to make you slower... and he does have a tendency to smoke everyone else in a sprint. It's also high in THC...

Oh wait that's team Columbia - HTC

In that case, he's got a bright future ahead when he is of the skunk ;)

Bala Verde said:
Cannabis is actually supposed to make you slower... and he does have a tendency to smoke everyone else in a sprint. It's also high in THC...

Oh wait that's team Columbia - HTC

In that case, he's got a bright future ahead when he is of the skunk ;)

can you imagine cav stoned on the medical grade weed? the "sprint" would be
" whow dude, don't barge my vibe " :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

no effect on cav.. the old saying you can pick your freinds but cant pick your family..

and cavendish is a fairly popular name.. lets wait and see..

ok.. just checked.. at the moment energy.fm isle of man radio is reporting him as marks brother, no other news outlets are..

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
He's not his brother's keeper...

pedaling squares said:

Amen brother.
MC should be judged on his riding ability....unless of course his brother was sending the package to the new RadioShack team ( Lance will need all the help he can get for #8).....:rolleyes:

Only posted it as a point of interest, not for speculative debate, but since there isn't any.
Yes, he is Cav's younger brother.
It is common knowledge on the I of M, but not elsewhere.

Still, point taken. If people don't want it, even tucked away in the Clinic, I won't post similar stuff, unless it's an associate of Lance.;)

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Only posted it as a point of interest, not for speculative debate, but since there isn't any.
Yes, he is Cav's younger brother.
It is common knowledge on the I of M, but not elsewhere.

Still, point taken. If people don't want it, even tucked away in the Clinic, I won't post similar stuff, unless it's an associate of Lance.;)

Thanks for posting. I am not sure why anyone would get their panties in a wad about it?

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
oh a little cannabis has no effect negative or positive on performance changes the mind not the body.

My experience of mixing cannabis with (non-competitive) MTB is that it makes fatigue, lactic acid, minor knocks and grazes, etc. much easier to ignore. It also impairs judgement if over done. Mental changes can have big effects on total performance. I found alcohol to have similar effects but the impaired judgement to overcome the ignorance of fatigue/injury much more easily. I can fully understand why pro-riders of an earlier era found the alcohol/amphetamine combination beneficial.

Overall, I would say that ridding when slightly stoned did improve my performance but probably only because my aerobic capacity was already severely limited by the cigarettes.

Note: It has now been several years since I got on a bike whilst stoned or drunk.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
A guy racing on three continents has control of his bother and his stupidity? Why hate the guy? Yes he is fast and a bit cheeky but is he a god? Even the thread makes you a punk. Grow out and grow up.This is a site for racing and comedy but not comedy without racing.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
drug bust

If it was Marks' brother it is not Marks' issue. Mark is not his brothers keeper.
While not advocating Marijuana use, it is well known to be the drug of choice in upper echellon swimmers and NBA players as well as hip-hop artists.
It is rumored that certain cyclists have participated in herb smoking during extremely technical and rigorous criteriums and had excellent finishing results.
Funny thing is that after finishing they are completely straight.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sports cannaibis

The problem with drugs is the government, schools, media, teaches the wrong message about drugs particularly marijuana.
When people try pot and realize what they have been taught is a lie and hypocritical they think oh drugs are not so dangerous or bad. Athletes such as Lawrance Taylor, Marco Pantani, Ricardo Rico, Jan Ulrich, Iban Mayo, Boonen etc. have shown what happens when one plays with drugs.
We need to get our own priorities straight. We need to be honest with our kids and teach them right.

This may be the dumbest thread ever.

OK, If it was some sort of PED, or bags of blood, OK, there is a basis for discussion here.

Otherwise, I move the whole thread be locked or deleted. It's too tawdry, even for a forum.

Update: Cav's bro last seen in the slow lane going 30 kph thinking he was exceeding posted limit of 100. A child on a bike behind him ringing his handlebar bell to try and get him to speed up down the hill.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I reckon it is relevant.

PEDs and rec drugs go hand in hand.

Boonen and Jaja coke parties. Pantani. Ullrich. Usually they go hand in hand.

It is like Bernhard Eisel going for AICAR, it would put some doubt into Cav because of his loyal domestique.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
I reckon it is relevant.

PEDs and rec drugs go hand in hand.

Boonen and Jaja coke parties. Pantani. Ullrich. Usually they go hand in hand.

It is like Bernhard Eisel going for AICAR, it would put some doubt into Cav because of his loyal domestique.

Are you aware of any connection between cannabis and performance enhancement? It seems to me one of least ideal drugs to consume for a sprinter who thrives on explosiveness and bike handling skills. Consider that the IOC allowed Rebagliati to keep his gold medal.

The main difference between this thread and the riders you have named is that they consumed the drug, while there is no known link between this cannabis and Mark Cavendish.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Are you aware of any connection between cannabis and performance enhancement? It seems to me one of least ideal drugs to consume for a sprinter who thrives on explosiveness and bike handling skills. Consider that the IOC allowed Rebagliati to keep his gold medal.

The main difference between this thread and the riders you have named is that they consumed the drug, while there is no known link between this cannabis and Mark Cavendish.
bs, there is a link, it is his fricken brother.

Now, I never said he did a bong, I was saying that rec drugs and cycling peds go hand in hand. And if a Columbia rider gets busted, it puts an entire question over their team program, since they are a publicised clean team.

Not indicting him, but I am saying it is relevant, albeit, there are only two degrees of separation in the cycling dope bust. Dope as peds. Not dope as marijuana.

This ain't a criminal court, associations are important for background and context, not an indictment.

TRENDING THREADS