• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Century on a Single-Speed MTB

Sep 4, 2020
Visit site
I recently completed my first ever group ride on a single speed MTB! I received a super warm welcome from my local cycling club despite my very cheap, heavy, gearless monstrosity of a bike. I wanted to share this video to inspire folks to go on group rides and challenge themselves even if they don't think they have the right equipment. If anything, I hope you find it interesting to learn about the $350 bike I bought and how I prepped it for 100 miles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGwSumQTNXE

Reactions: jmdirt
Yep, if the single speed gearing is adequate for the terrain, then all is good.
I did TOSRV (flat 2 day 100m each day) on a women's Rollfast single speed, full fenders, whitewall tires, coaster brake - handle bar streamers, and water pipe seat post. ($5 (from garage sale) bike with $100 Brooks saddle). I was young and strong then, and the older guys on racing bikes were annoyed when I passed them.
Jay

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS