• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Challenge Mallorca 2023 (January 25-29)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
QS was kind of stuffed there. They had to trust Vervaeke, who bottled the finish a bit by letting Costa come around him. It looked like they could have bridged but I suspect Alaf was soft pedaling a bit here and there to keep the gap.

Costa, good for him, he raced like he had something to prove, which I suppose he did after being dumped by UAE.

Side note: Is there any place in the world with better roads for cycling than western Mallorca?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Considering how close Vervaeke was to winning the sprint, I doubt Costa would have won if he had led all the way to the finish.
Yet, at the same time, it would have been a completely different sprint, a sprint on explosiveness, which he always wins against Vervaeke, if he did normal turns. He got bailed out by Healy, a factor not in his control nor something he ever counted on, I am quite sure of.

Yet, at the same time, it would have been a completely different sprint, a sprint on explosiveness, which he always wins against Vervaeke, if he did normal turns. He got bailed out by Healy, a factor not in his control nor something he ever counted on, I am quite sure of.

We'll obviously never know, but Costa didn't look like he had plenty of power left by the end, which I assume is the explanation for how he rode the final kilometres.

Brian Holm on Danish ES had a good chuckle thinking about what PL's reaction would be to his team's performance.

We'll obviously never know, but Costa didn't look like he had plenty of power left by the end, which I assume is the explanation for how he rode the final kilometres.

Brian Holm on Danish ES had a good chuckle thinking about what PL's reaction would be to his team's performance.

The team performed great in this race though... they were by far the strongest and had strength in numbers.

Yes, mistakes were made tactically but those can be corrected. Was the radio even working? Either way, nothing that causes any concerns in a training race.

Probably more worried about Van Wilder. Was it a bad crash? Will he be out again for a few weeks/months?

• Wow
The team performed great in this race though... they were by far the strongest and had strength in numbers.

Yes, mistakes were made tactically but those can be corrected. Was the radio even working? Either way, nothing that causes any concerns in a training race.

Probably more worried about Van Wilder. Was it a bad crash? Will he be out again for a few weeks/months?

No, only some minor bruises/abrasions apparently. He'll be able to race again in the coming days.