• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Change in Clinic attitude

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Carrot-top say:

"Me agree with Polish"

steroids-carrot-top.jpg
Chuffy say: can stop pictures now?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Sorry Chuffy. When Polish said

The more appropriate response would have been a more serious

"I disagree with you, Polish".

I'll stop.

I'm not sure I agree. Silly statements sometimes earn a silly response.

A serious response would've been, "That statement is completely removed from reality".

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
We see evidence of that in that no one dopes of course.

If it transformed performances, a lot of people would dope. Since it doesn't, no on does.

On the other hand, just because people use the drugs, it doesn't necessarily mean they work. After all, millions (maybe billions) are spent on homeopathic remedies, and they don't work.

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm one of the relative newbies here, though was a lurker for a lot longer. I'm also one who called pro cycling a sham, not a freak show, but a sham. I've also followed bike racing since 1979 when I started riding, and over the course of time, I've learned increasingly more of the dirty little secrets of the pro world. I'm also one of the people that Alpe was talking about when said the following:

Alpe d'Huez said:
People are sick of doping, sick of cheating, sick of lies and sick of the corruption. They are expressing it more now perhaps because there appears to be more of it brought to their attention.

I was never completely naive about cycling. I knew about Eddie Merckx's doping positives, I knew about Tom Simpson's death on Mont Ventoux, and I knew about the tricks such as having squeeze bottles of someone else's urine in a rider's shorts. But until the last few years I didn't know about large financial "contributions" to the UCI by riders, riders and former UCI leaders trying to buy the Tour, or the utter hypocrisy spouted by just about everyone related to professional cycling about doping. Maybe I just glazed over it in the past, but now it just slams me in the face. All that, plus the strangle hold that the UCI holds over pro cycling makes me believe that I will never be able to assume that the "best man" actually won any pro cycling race.

That does not mean I don't enjoy the spectacle of bicycle racing. Duels on long climbs, mass field sprints after long races, unexpected breakaways that succeed (like my man Eros), and the utter pounding riders take on the cobbles are some of the most electrifying sights in sports. And I don't think cycling is really any worse than any other sport. But I'll never say it's a fair contest.

I can't say anything about why any others who participate in this forum hold their opinions about this sport. I certainly won't generalize about them. But don't you suggest I just go away because I'm a thinking, but now jaded observer. If no one pays attention to the sordid underbelly then it definitely won't ever change. I say keep up the criticism of the hypocracy and the corruption. Just go away if you don't want that to change.

Jeebus! Things have gotten so bad that even comedians have to dope to get ahead. Of course he was probably just trying to keep up with Richard Pryor and Robin Williams. And that Jim Carrey has got to be on something. Carrey did hook up with Jenny McCarthy, so I guess it's all good.

EDIT: What's the point of leaving the text if mods delete the picture it went with? Lame.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
speak for yourself i still love and enjoy cycling i realize in top level sport particularly endurance sports that there will always be drug use and a culture of secrecy its the nature of elite athletes. keep in mind there is no point to sport its only entertainment no less no more. top level endurance athletes are of a certain type mentally some would say its a mental illness of sorts they will always try to find an edge as there need to win is everything in life. understand this and accept it as its human nature regarding top level athletes or find another sport. it was happening 100 years ago it will be happening in a 100 years.

I agree with 44, & its healthy to laugh at oneself at times. This part of the forum is just that for me, its a laugh at this group of humans striving for some sort of perfection in the weird tapestry of the human race.
All racing for something in the end, but probably a lot/most of them don't know what they are racing for.
Which way to go::
"Scream up to the final graveside with the last dollar spent on having a good time & totally exhausted from having that good time"
Or
"Nervously creep up to that same final graveside in a geriatric weakened state, dying of some ailment with a bag full of cash hoping it will keep you insulated from the inevitable drop in"

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Perhaps you're seeing the frustration that people feel naturally when so much poop hits the fan at once.

I think most Pro cyclists "have" doped. I won't say that they all "do" dope. At any given event, a sizeable number are cycling dope. I think the current crop of "top" riders dope in a very methodical and calculated manner. Not even HWMNBM was on dope every race, but during certain periods of the year, it is in full-swing (in my opinion). So "Do they all dope?"... Define "doping". How often must one dope to be a "doper"?

And all of this macabre "freak show" has turned cycling into a joke as of late. You're witnessing disenchantment.

Perhaps not so much a change in attitude as a change of mood.

Bang on the money Botany.
I dont know why but it`s often ovelooked that probably most doping is in training..helping riders train harder/ recover faster/ be fitter.
The small numbers caught ( when the UCI dont fix it) is the tip of the proverbial ice berg.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
We see evidence of that in that no one dopes of course.

If it transformed performances, a lot of people would dope. Since it doesn't, no on does.

PLENTY of dumb dopers who THINK they will be transformed.
Make a list of these not too bright ones.
A very long list indeed.

botanybay said:
And all of this macabre "freak show" has turned cycling into a joke as of late. You're witnessing disenchantment.

Pro Cycling is probably as popular as it has ever been. Maybe more so.

And Pro cycling has been much dirtier at many moments in history than it is currently.

This "disenchantment" you speak of is not a fanboy thing.
The anger is not a fanboy thing.
King Eddy is disappointed in some dumb dopers, sure.
But is King Eddy angry or disenchanted with Cycling? No.
Lance IS angry at the dumb fans.
"Go bleep yourself"
"Are you stupid?"

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
No problem with loving the sport. It is a great sport. Nothing wrong with beleiveing that your favourite riders are dcompeting in an ethical way. But be open mineded about the sport and where it it was where it is now and where it is going.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I am a fan of both pro cycling and the WWE. The only aspect that has changed for me is that I now assume both sets of athletes dope. But I still have great respect for champions of both sports, including Greg Lemond, Hulk Hogan, Alberto Contador, and Alberto Del Rio, winner of the 2011 Royal Rumble.

warmfuzzies said:
I am a fan of both pro cycling and the WWE. The only aspect that has changed for me is that I now assume both sets of athletes dope. But I still have great respect for champions of both sports, including Greg Lemond, Hulk Hogan, Alberto Contador, and Alberto Del Rio, winner of the 2011 Royal Rumble.

Un-f**kingbelievable.