• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Changes to the Worlds program

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I disagree. If you limit it to just countries then it would just be a battle between Italy, the US, the UK and Germany......each of these guys could field 2 teams that would beat most of the world.

Trade teams mean you will have a real competition.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radical-changes-for-2012-world-championships

Finally the UCI does something good for the sport. The TTT (With trade teams) is a great thing to have back. Having the Juniors back is also good thing. Important exposure at an early age.
Agree - some good moves introduced.

I could never understand separating the Juniors from the main event - the Junior races are some of the most exciting events of the whole week.

As for the TTT - great idea in principle but there needs to be a workable solution that does not detract from the Vuelta - which already suffers from its proximity to the Worlds.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I disagree. If you limit it to just countries then it would just be a battle between Italy, the US, the UK and Germany......each of these guys could field 2 teams that would beat most of the world.

Italy, US, UK, and Germany, or Garmin, Columbia, Saxobank and probably Sky. Not sure I see much of a difference.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
Italy, US, UK, and Germany, or Garmin, Columbia, Saxobank and probably Sky. Not sure I see much of a difference.

How would the jersies work as they would be handing out jerseys to one country which would have riders riding for different teams?

Bag_O_Wallet said:

Since the worlds TTT would not be part of a GT I think more teams than those we traditionally see in GTs can possibly compete as well. Not all teams make sure to bring a straight TTT team to the GTs so more teams might be able to scrape out a decent team from their 25man roster...Depending on how big the worlds TTTs are going to be.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:

no mentioned of the aussies...? i think you could take at least three countries out of that list and just give the jerseys to the uk or them now..

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:

Indeed, it's going to come down to only a few teams whichever way.

And personally the idea of national TTT teams just for the worlds appeals to me more than trade teams; we already get to see them in TTTs throughout the season.

Race Radio said:

Country teams where the team time is when the last rider passes the finish line, not the fifth, meaning they have to ride the whole way as a team, not with 'rabbits', and finishers. Trade teams makes it commerical

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I think bringing back the TTT is cool, but I'm not exactly thrilled with using trade teams. These are the world championships, and everything else is done by national teams. If they cut it to 5 or so riders, even small countries can field a team.

Plus that gives the US a great chance to win! Dave Z, Levi, VDV, Tom Zirbel, and George Hincapie would be a squad to be reckoned with.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Since the worlds TTT would not be part of a GT I think more teams than those we traditionally see in GTs can possibly compete as well. Not all teams make sure to bring a straight TTT team to the GTs so more teams might be able to scrape out a decent team from their 25man roster...Depending on how big the worlds TTTs are going to be.

Only a handful of teams ever seemed to REALLY show up to the Eindhoven TTT and the Grand Prix de la Libération. I'd imagine that indifference will continue. At least at the top end of the sport.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Just having a bunch of fast TT guys does not guarantee a good TTT team. You need to have a group that is comfortable and familiar with each other, like a trade team. Depending on the course Quickstep and Rabobanks big engines could do very well.

Currently we only see the TTT in the GT's when the teams have a bunch of little climbers. It would be interesting to see what the trade teams can do when they don't have to worry about a guy getting over the alps.