• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Changing tire sizes?

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
New to biking and I only know the tires my bike came with. They are Terevail Sparwoods. Unfortunately Terevail says they don't have any Sparwoods and it's going to be a while before they do. I'm looking at the Terevail Washburn, which probably makes more sense for me since I ride almost all road and no gravel, but they are slightly smaller tires, and I'm not sure what difference it might make. Sparwoods are 27.5 x 2.1, and the Washburns are 47mm. Any thoughts on changing sizes?

Thanks.

Why are you so dialed into just that brand of tires? There are all sorts of brands of tires out there that have that size range. There is nothing wrong with the Terevail brand, but just saying you're not stuck with that brand unless if you want to be stuck with that brand.

47mm tire is about 1.85 inches, so that is a size reduction in width mostly, if that's what you want then those should fit, but if you use the bike for off-road/trail/gravel riding and are not an accomplished rider, the wider tire will give you a bit more confidence riding on those types of surfaces. However, the size difference is not that great, so it might not be a big deal.

BerM

BANNED
Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Have you thought about buying tubeless tires? As for me, they are good for those people who want to enjoy more comfort, control, and speed. In comparison to standard tubes, they are lighter and easier to mount and remove. And there’s no need to take the wheel off the bike to change the tire. Here is a good article on the topic https://www.bikertricks.com/tubeless-bike-tires/ I personally switched to them and haven't regretted my choice. Though of course, it's only my opinion.

Last edited:
Tubeless system is more expensive. Tubeless tyres cost more, you may need new rims, and you will need more paraphernalia such as special pumps, special tools, and special flat repair kit, thus maintenance cost is higher and more time-consuming to work on. Some tire manufacturers will recommend using their tires only with certain rims, and vice versa; wheels and tires are strictly matched to each other which limits you as to which tire you can use. Removal often requires good grip strength and strong tyre irons. If a tear or hole is too big for a tyre plug, you’ll still need a spare tube to get home. Air and sealant can escape (burping) if the tyre bead comes away from the rim due to a sudden impact or extreme cornering force. Sealants that coagulate need topping up every six months, and the more you put in the sealant the more the tire weighs and will upon the 2nd top off will weigh more than a tube tire will. Valve cores clog up too.

And the flat sealant doesn't plug all holes, only tiny ones below 6mm, and some sealants need to have holes less than 4mm; this means you will still need to carry a spare tube.

Some tubeless tyres, however, can take much more time to get fitted to the rims and involve much cursing. The problem is due to there being no one standard that all rim and tyre manufacturers adhere to. Also, because you need a very good seal with the tyre bead on the rim, it generally involves a very tight fit... in some cases so tight that you need multiple tyre levers, some soapy water to help slide the bead on...try that with a flat on the road!

A Continental GP 5000 TL 28mm tyre weighs 340g versus 250g for a regular GP 5000 tyre. Removing the inner tube, however, does save you in the region of 100g (but there are a lot of tubes that weigh less than 80 grams) but you're adding back 50-60g of sealant which negates some of the weight saved, and those tubeless valves are probably a little heavier too, and there's the rim strip if your wheels need it. Then in 3 months you have to add another 50-60 grams of sealant, now your tyre weighs more than the tube tyre would have.

So no, it's not all roses with tubeless tyres.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
Mar 1, 2023
Visit site
Based on my experience I am sharing two user experiences with tubeless tire use and 650C tire use:
Tubeless tire use: "I recently switched over to tubeless tires on my mountain bike and I have been blown away by the performance. The ride is smoother, the traction is better, and I've had no issues with punctures or pinch flats. It's definitely worth the investment.
650C tire use: "I've been using this https://www.bikethesites.com/650b-vs-700c-tires/ 650C tires on my road bike for a while now and I'm really happy with them. They provide a nice balance between speed and comfort, and they're great for long rides. The only downside is that they're not as widely available as standard 700C tires, but I haven't had any issues finding replacements when I need them.

Last edited:
I've used tubed tires for about 38 years, in that time I've only had one pinch flat, I wonder why? could it be I'm might be using the correct psi for my weight?? I think so. Therefore if a person is using the correct psi based on the total weight of a clothed person plus their bike with water you should never have a pinch flat.

TRENDING THREADS