• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chapeau Danny Boy

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Consistency over three weeks is the key factor in GTs, and most contenders show this from a young age. It's a talent you either do or do not have. You can perfect it with age, but the talent needs to be there.

I totally disagree. Yes many great rirders show what you say. Other riders came late. 57th and 53rd in his 1st two GT's isn't to be laugh at either. Look at Indurain 1st couple Vuelta's 84th, 92nd, DNF,DNF,DNF Or Alex Zulle 109th, 49th I could go on and on.......but comparing Dan Martin to doped up times isn't justifaction, either.

boardhanger said:
I totally disagree. Yes many great rirders show what you say. Other riders came late. 57th and 53rd in his 1st two GT's isn't to be laugh at either. Look at Indurain 1st couple Vuelta's 84th, 92nd, DNF,DNF,DNF Or Alex Zulle 109th, 49th I could go on and on.......but comparing Dan Martin to doped up times isn't justifaction, either.

exactly.
It was impossible for most young dudes to do a decent GT begin 90-ties, or they should've been on the program already

These are different times though. Most GT contenders show themselves in an actual top 20 very early in their career now

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully he finally has his allergy problems under control. From the sounds of things he's had every spring ruined by allergies up to now. Not sure about his Tour credentials though but he could be a force in the Ardennes for years to come.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
With a difficult course this autumn could we see an irish world champ again? Obviously he may not have a great team to ride with him but neither did thor when he won

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Dan's the man!

Chapeau. He's been knocking on the door a long time, and took the whole thing down a second time today. First at Catalyuna.

Delighted for him. :D

(And big kudos to Ryder for the 1:2 play and keeping Dan's group clear at the end. Diesel's revving for the Giro!)

Parrot23 said:
Dan's the man!

Chapeau. He's been knocking on the door a long time, and took the whole thing down a second time today. First at Catalyuna.

Delighted for him. :D

(And big kudos to Ryder for the 1:2 play and keeping Dan's group clear at the end. Diesel's revving for the Giro!)
As soon as I saw Martin had jumped on to the chase group going after Hesjedal it was obvious he was at least on the podium. Great ride and gutsy attack on Rodriguez in the finale.

I like this guy a lot. His Catalunya solo is in my "top 10" this year.
Yesterday I was cheering for Hesjedal but when he was caught I hoped Martin would have some extra power to steal it from Valverde. Him and Hesjedal made my day. ( Purito as well)

will10 said:
Hopefully he finally has his allergy problems under control. From the sounds of things he's had every spring ruined by allergies up to now. Not sure about his Tour credentials though but he could be a force in the Ardennes for years to come.

I remember Vaughters tweeting that one of his riders would be much better this season due to resolving a problem. I'm guessing he was referring to Martin's allergy issues.

He has great endurance and great punch/speed so we could easily see several more big wins coming down the line.

TRENDING THREADS