• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chicken flies off the handles

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, does doping damage the "Brain-Mouth Barrier"? Wishing death and misery on other people is best done in the privacy of your own mind.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Just Michael being Michael.

Wishing death on other people. Saying he's against the out-of-competition controls. Praising Pantani for taking his doping further than others dared.

Paranoid delusions about the possibility of getting a contract with Saxo Bank and winning big races for them.

If you're familiar with Chicken's paranoid, delusional mind, none of this should surprise you in the slightest.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i think my view of rass has morphed some time ago - an intense but not a very bright chap.

too many foolish mistakes, too many stupid quips.

if you'r going to lie and dodge learn from the best or just go away, fool.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
python said:
i think my view of rass has morphed some time ago - an intense but not a very bright chap.

too many foolish mistakes, too many stupid quips.

if you'r going to lie and dodge learn from the best or just go away, fool.

mr%20t.jpg

(Had to be done)

Not surprising. I recall him saying that as he was being driven away, down a mountain pass after his expulsion from the Tour, he considered grabbing the wheel to just end it all. Of course the fact that there were other folks in the car didn't really matter. I wonder, has he been considered somewhat of a loner on most of the teams that he's been on? I get that impression. His scathing criticism to the media of Menchov" He couldn't get his rear over the Galibier" or something to that effect certainly didn't endear him to his teammates.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I wonder, has he been considered somewhat of a loner on most of the teams that he's been on? I get that impression.

Yes.
In a 9 man Rabo squad he was the one with the single room. In stage races with shared bedrooms teammates didn't want the bed next to him (germ obessions, no airco, complete darkness at 9 etc.)

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with earlier posts that Michael Rasmussen is an extremely difficult, weird guy, but I am still disappointed with Cyclingnews for not contextualizing this story better. The circumstances around the Rasmussen case are interesting, and he does have reason to believe that he's been treated much more harshly than most. Rasmussen's de facto lifetime ban from top-level racing compared to the treatment of Vino (who actually tested positive at the same time) and riders like Basso says a lot about the power dynamics of the sport.

None of this is to justify wishing death upon anyone. I just think Cyclingnews missed an opportunity to write something more provocative and meaningful.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I wonder, has he been considered somewhat of a loner on most of the teams that he's been on? I get that impression. His scathing criticism to the media of Menchov" He couldn't get his rear over the Galibier" or something to that effect certainly didn't endear him to his teammates.

It's the correct impression. Back in his Rabo days he more than once commented on how he was fully aware that no other team would allow him to train on his own and do everything as he pleased as they did.

Riis terminated his contract early at CSC precisely with the justification that not only was he unable to show teamwork, he didn't even want to. Even at breakfast he made a point of going out very early so he'd finish and leave before any of the other CSC guys got there.

In short, Chicken is Cuckoo

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Yes.
In a 9 man Rabo squad he was the one with the single room. In stage races with shared bedrooms teammates didn't want the bed next to him (germ obessions, no airco, complete darkness at 9 etc.)
there could be other reasons for a single room obsession or an appearance of obsession ;) funny armstorng has the same obsession with single rooms...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
python said:
there could be other reasons for a single room obsession or an appearance of obsession ;) funny armstorng has the same obsession with single rooms...

This wasn't about being in a 5 star hotel ;)

I remember Boogerd saying he actually liked the guy, but that he was one of the few who actually talked to him occasionally.

ergmonkey said:
I agree with earlier posts that Michael Rasmussen is an extremely difficult, weird guy, but I am still disappointed with Cyclingnews for not contextualizing this story better. The circumstances around the Rasmussen case are interesting, and he does have reason to believe that he's been treated much more harshly than most. Rasmussen's de facto lifetime ban from top-level racing compared to the treatment of Vino (who actually tested positive at the same time) and riders like Basso says a lot about the power dynamics of the sport.

None of this is to justify wishing death upon anyone. I just think Cyclingnews missed an opportunity to write something more provocative and meaningful.
Ricco gets about the same treatment as Rasmussen does on Cyclingnews. Both of them seem to have lost contact with reality. Why try to portray them as perfectly reasonable people when clearly they're not.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:

you compared rasmussen to vino and basso. Fine. but has chicken story been the same ?

lets see.

all talented and fiercely competitive, successful pro riders have, must have, an oversized ego/ambition.

they also need brains and some other means to stay afloat and continue winning.

this elite group includes the unfortunates subgroup who failed doping police despite their multiple mates walking free for essentially the same practice. is it unfair ? absolutely.

but each doping story has only one thing in common - the dope itself - and a thousand things making it it unique and different. that’s how life is. Take vinos story…

vinokourov doped, got caught, tried to wiggle his way out with 1-year ban with the help of his corrupt federation. he even tried to con ioc into letting him race the itt in peking. none of it worked. the uci forced the two years, the ioc figured his game too. so what did vino do ? as an intelligent person he adapted ! He changed ! He submitted to his fate, served 2 years, stopped lashing out at everyone, curbed his lawyers, helped to rebuild his team, submitted to the new team leader, alberto contador. he honestly performed his support rider duty in CI last week..etc etc basso’s story is also different and could be easily penned.

what did rass do? did he add anything new to the shoe box story full of artificial hemoglobin ? did he make a move to renew and adapt ? did he recruit new friends ? did he reflect at all. none of it. If he has a brain, he did not use it. if he had fiends, he either lost them or did not acquire new ones. if he had hidden his guilt (like vino for ex.) he certainly did not do it smartly.

as harsh as it may sound, he deserves his fate and threatening someone’s life isn’t going to improve his odds.

python said:
you compared rasmussen to vino and basso. Fine. but has chicken story been the same ?

lets see.

all talented and fiercely competitive, successful pro riders have, must have, an oversized ego/ambition.

they also need brains and some other means to stay afloat and continue winning.

this elite group includes the unfortunates subgroup who failed doping police despite their multiple mates walking free for essentially the same practice. is it unfair ? absolutely.

but each doping story has only one thing in common - the dope itself - and a thousand things making it it unique and different. that’s how life is. Take vinos story…

vinokourov doped, got caught, tried to wiggle his way out with 1-year ban with the help of his corrupt federation. he even tried to con ioc into letting him race the itt in peking. none of it worked. the uci forced the two years, the ioc figured his game too. so what did vino do ? as an intelligent person he adapted ! He changed ! He submitted to his fate, served 2 years, stopped lashing out at everyone, curbed his lawyers, helped to rebuild his team, submitted to the new team leader, alberto contador. he honestly performed his support rider duty in CI last week..etc etc basso’s story is also different and could be easily penned.

what did rass do? did he add anything new to the shoe box story full of artificial hemoglobin ? did he make a move to renew and adapt ? did he recruit new friends ? did he reflect at all. none of it. If he has a brain, he did not use it. if he had fiends, he either lost them or did not acquire new ones. if he had hidden his guilt (like vino for ex.) he certainly did not do it smartly.

as harsh as it may sound, he deserves his fate and threatening someone’s life isn’t going to improve his odds.

+1000
Not even his own national federation backed him up, and that's the highest level of distrust someone can ever get-so which team can barely show any interest in signing a guy like him at all?

A

Anonymous

hfer07 said:
+1000
Not even his own national federation backed him up, and that's the highest level of distrust someone can ever get-so which team can barely show any interest in signing a guy like him at all?

He sounds like a prime candidate for Rock Racing! That is if they still existed or had any relevance in the sport. lol!

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
I'll say it again, as some seem to have misunderstood my post: I am not arguing that Rasmussen is an innocent or even reasonable person. I am only noting that in writing a (very brief) story about Michael Rasmussen wishing ill upon certain authority figures in cycling, Cyclingnews ought to have at least mentioned the unusual procedural circumstances of the Rasmussen case and why he might harbor such feelings. I'm not saying those feelings are justified, but I do think that the whole story is an interesting one. It's certainly more complex than: Ricco tests positive, Ricco initially protests innocence, Ricco serves ban and signs with solid non-Pro Tour team, and Ricco is told to sit out the Giro for a year. Rasmussen's case is, in fact, distinct from the facts surrounding the Ricco, Basso, and Vinokourov cases. Rasmussen's post-ban treatment is also different. Feel free to speculate as to why. But, if you are unsure as to what procedural irregularities I am referencing, then do some homework before making snide comments. Also, if you have no familiarity with procedural law principles, you might want to sit this one out. If you really care about the battle for a fair, clean sport, then the details matter.

woodburn said:
A new spin. I actually think the possibility of his words getting twisted is pretty decent and his explanation sounds reasonable. But who knows.

I'd be interested if he really is talking to a Pro Tour team.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rasmussen-responds-to-stories-in-the-media

Even with all his problems and the baggage that Rasmussen brings, I could see a team like Astana signing him as long as they were assured that the ASO would allow him to compete in the Tour. I realize that this is a big if, but his suspension did end in 2009, so he has been back longer than Ricco who wanted to ride in the Giro. Rasmussen could serve as the ultimate mountain domestique for Contador and really silence many critics who claim that Astana is just too weak.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
I'll say it again, as some seem to have misunderstood my post: I am not arguing that Rasmussen is an innocent or even reasonable person. I am only noting that in writing a (very brief) story about Michael Rasmussen wishing ill upon certain authority figures in cycling, Cyclingnews ought to have at least mentioned the unusual procedural circumstances of the Rasmussen case and why he might harbor such feelings. I'm not saying those feelings are justified, but I do think that the whole story is an interesting one. It's certainly more complex than: Ricco tests positive, Ricco initially protests innocence, Ricco serves ban and signs with solid non-Pro Tour team, and Ricco is told to sit out the Giro for a year. Rasmussen's case is, in fact, distinct from the facts surrounding the Ricco, Basso, and Vinokourov cases. Rasmussen's post-ban treatment is also different. Feel free to speculate as to why. But, if you are unsure as to what procedural irregularities I am referencing, then do some homework before making snide comments. Also, if you have no familiarity with procedural law principles, you might want to sit this one out. If you really care about the battle for a fair, clean sport, then the details matter.
Actually - Cyclingnews have gone one better - and given Rasmussen the 'right to reply', he claims "my words have gotten translated so many times they have lost all their meaning" - even though he gave the interview in Danish to the Danish news paper.

Here is the original article in Danish and here is a translation of the original Danish article. Perhaps some of the Scandanavians could clarify - but it appears he said what he says he didn't say. ;)

On the highlighted sentence above - I presume the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) are well versed with procedural law principles - and they rejected Rasmussen's appeal against his 2 year suspension.

TRENDING THREADS