• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Choice of wheels

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Admittedly, I am 'old school', (plus I am over 50!) but am looking to upgrade my (or get a new) bike.

I presently ride a circa 1990 Faggin with Mavic GP4 tubulars and gasp! friction shifting. I recently converted my mountain bike to be more road-like with drop bars and Sora brifters for a recent ride because I wanted to take advantage of the gearing the bike provided.

Anyway, I have looked at new bikes, but am concerned at the wheelsets that are on these bikes. I weigh over 200 pounds and being on the larger side of life, I am a little wary of wheelsets that have less than 32 spokes.

Should I be concerned with this or are the new wheelsets capable of handling a rider of my size. I still like to think of myself as a good rider (I used to put in 300 mile weeks in my other pre-married life), but am now happy if I get in 400 miles a month!.

Thanks, Mark

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
You'll be much happier riding classic 36 hole 3x wheels. It will save you cash and headaches in the long run. Pre-built OEM wheels that come stock on bikes, or aftermarket racing wheels with low spoke counts and proprietary spokes, are some, if not the most warrantied items in the bike industry. Reason one being durability, especially for heavier riders.

Most "decent" shops will accommodate a wheel swap on a new bike purchase. I've built thousands of wheels for heavier riders that aren't satisfied with what comes stock on their new bikes. There are even a few NFL linemen that are riding wheels I built for them, and they're tickling the 300 lb. mark.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dmyoungsal said:
Admittedly, I am 'old school', (plus I am over 50!) but am looking to upgrade my (or get a new) bike.

I presently ride a circa 1990 Faggin with Mavic GP4 tubulars and gasp! friction shifting. I recently converted my mountain bike to be more road-like with drop bars and Sora brifters for a recent ride because I wanted to take advantage of the gearing the bike provided.

Anyway, I have looked at new bikes, but am concerned at the wheelsets that are on these bikes. I weigh over 200 pounds and being on the larger side of life, I am a little wary of wheelsets that have less than 32 spokes.

Should I be concerned with this or are the new wheelsets capable of handling a rider of my size. I still like to think of myself as a good rider (I used to put in 300 mile weeks in my other pre-married life), but am now happy if I get in 400 miles a month!.

Thanks, Mark

Be concerned. New bike wheels are made for looks and whizbangery and like so much else on a bike, is more of the thing from the marketeers instead of the engineers.

Find a place that will start with a bike fit(on a fit cycle), then progress to a frame/fork, components of your choice and then well designed and well made handbuilt wheels. The bike will fit, work and ride like a dream for years.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dmyoungsal said:

Thanks, Mark

Another point. If the Faggin fits ya and works well..go ride it. A new bicycle won't necessarily make your riding any better..may make it worse, considering all the hype w/i bicycles these days. Friction, sewups..good on ya! What I ride everyday...

Remember the bike is there to get you there. The ride is about the ride, not the bike.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I have an idea: I usually don't deal with the general public, but since you're situation is right up my alley, I'd be willing to build you a wheel set for that Faggin if that's the route you want to go, and here's what it would be: 36 hole Ambrosio Nemesis rims (more Roubaix and Flanders victories in the last 25 years than any other rim out there. The definition of "BOMB PROOF") Your old hubs (if they're 36 hole? If not, a 36h Phil Wood) to accommodate your drivetrain. Or you might consider using your new bike purchase money to upgrade to a modern grouppo. If that was the case, I'd use Edco hubs (Swiss precision without the cost of DT). All laced together 3x, with Sapim Race spokes and nipples.

Pietro and I are generally in consensus when it comes to this topic, and I feel he could make his point without having to quote the OP every time.;) Pietro, check your messages!

dmyoungsal, click on my name and shoot me a private message if you're interested.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I have an idea: I usually don't deal with the general public, but since you're situation is right up alley, I'd be willing to build you a wheel set for that Faggin if that's the route you want to go, and here's what it would be: 36 hole Ambrosio Nemesis rims (more Roubaix and Flanders victories in the last 25 years than any other rim out there. The definition of "BOMB PROOF") Your old hubs (if they're 36 hole? If not, a 36h Phil Wood) to accommodate your drivetrain. Or you might consider using your new bike purchase money to upgrade to a modern grouppo. If that was the case, I'd use Edco hubs (Swiss precision without the cost of DT). All laced together 3x, with Sapim Race spokes and nipples.

Pietro and I are generally in consensus when it comes to this topic, and I feel he could make his point without having to quote the OP every time.;) Pietro, check your messages!

dmyoungsal, click on my name and shoot me a private message if you're interested.

No thanks to rdv4roubaix.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Why, antisocial? Or, are you still upset that I'm not Roger De Vlaeminck?:)

I have a philosophical adversion to back channel connections, like this, facebook, myspace, etc...not interested. Thanks anyway tho. See ya on the forum.