• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 228 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

movingtarget said:
Jalabert is a prize hypocrite. Who will be the next critic, Armstrong ? Good day for Froome although Barguil almost ruined it for a few riders. I thought Contador would attack on the descent but no surprise Nibali did. The last week looks very hard, wrong time to lose Kennaugh but Sky so far have looked in control. Porte must be sick of getting punctures.

I think I'd die laughing if Armstrong copied Walsh's tweets about everyone but Sky and posted them about Sky.

"Hm... not sure I can believe that"

Froome looks strong still, but I still feel someone like Contador and/or Nibali will try a long range attack. Stages 18 and 19 in particular are dangerous because if Tinkoff or Astana or even Movistar drill it early on, it could see Froome very isolated very early. Thomas and Porte are the only two that look capable of staying to the end but porte has been ill and Thomas could fade in the final week, not to mention the effects the crash may have had on him.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Froome looks strong still, but I still feel someone like Contador and/or Nibali will try a long range attack. Stages 18 and 19 in particular are dangerous because if Tinkoff or Astana or even Movistar drill it early on, it could see Froome very isolated very early. Thomas and Porte are the only two that look capable of staying to the end but porte has been ill and Thomas could fade in the final week, not to mention the effects the crash may have had on him.

It doesn't really matter. If Astana/TS uses its domestiques to drill early, then leaders won't have help after attacking (Sky is not that weak and those teams are not that strong). So it will be basically 1-2 cyclists that so far haven't shown anything spectacular against Froome. They are not going to make up 4+ minutes. Just look at Fuente De.... Pretty much everything went right way there and gaps were nowhere big enough to put Froome in serious danger

Re:

Poursuivant said:

To be fair for the sake of entertainment I hope someone tries something. Stage 20 would be perfect or even tomorrow up Allos before the descent. The problem they have is teams like Movistar and BMC are already in defence mode. Guys like Valverde and Tejay would have to work to protect their podium interests so it would be a real long shot. That is before factoring in Froome more than likely having G and either Porte or Poels with him.

I don't think Sky will chase if they attack in the final km's so that's an option but then of course Quintana will be going all out at that point too.

Re:

hrotha said:
Froome has grown a lot like a rider, more mentally and tactically than physically.

I remember first noticing this with his impressive ride in the face of adversity at last year's Vuelta. Seems he's developed the head to match his engine. That's a terrifying combination--especially when he has this form.

You've got to give credit to the guy, he completely demotivates all his adversaries:
- let's gain time in echelons! (oh, he's right there with us)
- let's gain time on murs! (oh, he's right there... er, he just passed us)
- let's gain time on the cobbles! (oh, he's following, elbows and all)
- let's gain time downhill! (oh, he's right on our wheel)
- let's gain time uphill! (oh f**k, he just turned into a motorbike)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Everything has gone right for Froome this year TDF. So this is his win. None of the contender has the luck that Froome endures this time around. Quintana lost in the crosswind. Nibali not having the form. Contador lost time, fatigue and crash. Last year, Nibali was as smooth as Froome's today. I can't see Quintana gaining any time with that kind of attack we saw today. So this is Froome's year, and a TDF for him to win. Tejay? it's never his year. He needs to beef up a bit his skinny body so he got better immune system. Not a big fan of him, but I feel for him to go out like that. I prefer to see him get dropped than abandon. Ow well, there's always next year.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The difference to Nibali's win is that the Big 3 are still here. Nibali and Contador are off their peak form (only themselves to blame, of course) but Quintana is in peak form. And Froome has dominated him in the climbs.

Nibali and Quintana haven't ever reached a level that would beat the Froome we're seeing now in a typical Tour route. Contador has, but not after 2009.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
You've got to give credit to the guy, he completely demotivates all his adversaries:
- let's gain time in echelons! (oh, he's right there with us)
- let's gain time on murs! (oh, he's right there... er, he just passed us)
- let's gain time on the cobbles! (oh, he's following, elbows and all)
- let's gain time downhill! (oh, he's right on our wheel)
- let's gain time uphill! (oh f**k, he just turned into a motorbike)

Hahaha great post. :D