• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 232 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
If something unexpected happens tomorrow, he is definitely deserved winner of this Tour, how he handled the mayhem of today's stage from the start was impressive, he improved as a rider, definitely.Good job Dawg. ;)

Re: Re:

wwabbit said:
Jagartrott said:
"It was unsporting" blah blah.
Why would you care about what someone does who's way behind you in GC? It's not like Nibali was attacking the yellow jersey.

Froome probably doesn't care about losing time to Nibali. The problem is, other riders waited for Froome while Nibali didn't, so Nibali got an advantage over all the other riders that waited for Froome.

Maybe I am mistaken but i ma pretty sure Froome closed down all of them and then Nibali attacked again?

Re:

woodburn said:
Re: Froome's Nibali complaint

Race would be a lot more interesting tomorrow if Froome and company hadn't attack Nibali and Quintana on Stage 2 when they were delayed by crash. Just saying.

Yeah, but SKY didn't really attack. At the time they were getting criticized for not pushing it. Stannard did a couple of pulls before dropping himself and Thomas might have hit the front at some point but not much at all.

whittashau said:
harryh said:
Wasn't Nibali the guy who blaimed Froome for his falling?

What does mistaken identity have to do with anything? When I saw the yellow jersey crash I initially thought it was Froome too. It the heat of the moment it can be easy to forget things like Martin taking the jersey by a few seconds or whatever

Yes, but I wrote earlier, if a rider crashes into you from the left, causing you to crash into another rider to your right is it logical to blame that rider for the crash?

LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:
There seems to be a newfound respect between the two best climbers in the world:

Vroom said:
I think we’ve got mutual respect. In particular I respect the way he approaches races and tries to attack at the hardest point, that’s similar to myself and I respect that. He’s young. I’d like to think he’s doing everything right and that he’s got a bright future ahead of him.”

Perhaps this encouraging friendship can be developed into an Anglo-Saxo/Latin alliance, in the unlikely event Nibali or Contador happen to be leading a GT they both contest in the future? Only time will tell.
Oh Froome again with his "I respect my rival so much" BS... let's see if he will now crap on Quintana in a biography :rolleyes:

By your standards a simple "Hello" would be to "take a dump on Quintana" so I am pretty sure you will see your suspicions come true sooner rather than later! ;)

Walkman said:
woodburn said:

Race would be a lot more interesting tomorrow if Froome and company hadn't attack Nibali and Quintana on Stage 2 when they were delayed by crash. Just saying.

Yeah, but SKY didn't really attack. At the time they were getting criticized for not pushing it. Stannard did a couple of pulls before dropping himself and Thomas might have hit the front at some point but not much at all.

They certainly didn't object to others attacking. And Froome sprinted at the end, too.

He's ready to win the TdF. I'm confident Quintana doesn't have the cojones to really attack hard on the first climb tomorrow and he will never make up 2'38 on Froome on the Alpe so I think he has it in the bag.

Thanks to a brilliant first 9 days and a great first MTF performance and also the let down of the favourites/GC riders. Not saying he wouldn't have won if Nibali was good from the start, I think he would, but it would've complicated the race a lot more.

woodburn said:
Walkman said:
woodburn said:

They certainly didn't object to others attacking. And Froome sprinted at the end, too.

Did Froome complain about piti and others responding to Nibalis attack? And are you really going to drag his "sprint" into this? Geeez...

Walkman said:
woodburn said:
Walkman said:
woodburn said:

Did Froome complain about piti and others responding to Nibalis attack? And are you really going to drag his "sprint" into this? Geeez...

I'm all for an unwritten rule that people don't get attacked due to misfortune. But Froome shouldn't throw stones on this one. He took advantage of the situation. That's his right. So did Nibali today. Nibali and Quintana didn't complain after they lost time. But he's upset someone eight minutes down attacked him?

woodburn said:
Walkman said:
woodburn said:
Walkman said:
woodburn said:

I'm all for an unwritten rule that people don't get attacked due to misfortune. But Froome shouldn't throw stones on this one. He took advantage of the situation. That's his right. So did Nibali today. Nibali and Quintana didn't complain after they lost time. But he's upset someone eight minutes down attacked him?

Just so you know, I don't care some unwritten rules. It's a race, not a tea party. But you don't seem to be able so see beyond you dislike for Froome. In stage 2 everyone knew the importance of staying at the front. Movistar failed to do so and was thus left behind. Nibali was unlucky due to the face that he made the spilt by someone crashed into him so he was dropped. But how can he complain, he won the Tour on the exact same stage last year?!

Froom was a bit pissed because Nibali looked at him, saw he was having problems and attacked. Not that unreasonable. However, I think it's totally ok. But you doing unrelated parallels between todays stage and stage 2 just shows you inability to see matters objectively.

bW7Tx7o.jpg

YBuwQ9f.jpg

Jagartrott said:
pastronef said:
Nibali STARING at Froome as Froome is having his rear wheel problem

https://www.twitter.com/_PelotonTweets/status/624647583756091395
Or talking to Kangert.
Froome attacked Nibali verbally after the stage. What a tool.

He is talking to Kangert since you can see Kangert looking up to Nibali, but Nibali certainly did see the mechanical and he certainly didn't deny attacking when Froome had a mechanical.
I'm glad he did. Nobody waited for Gesink when he had a flat up Plateu de Beille. Nobody waited for Contador when he crashed on the descent yesterday.
I don't see why someone should wait for the Yellow jersey. It's a race. Cycling isn't for p*ssies.
Sheesh all he had was a little stone that was gone in 5 seconds.

Jagartrott said:
pastronef said:

Or talking to Kangert.

Pretty sure Nibali knew what was happening whether he admits it or not. That said, he was 7-8 minutes down, so he was no threat to Froome. Nibali probably figured it was his best chance to get away and have a chance at winning the stage without anyone chasing him immediately. Probably a little cheeky but I don't have a huge problem with it. Certainly a much bigger deal would have been made of it if it had been AC, Bala or Nairo.

Kwibus said:
Jagartrott said:
pastronef said:

Or talking to Kangert.

He is talking to Kangert since you can see Kangert looking up to Nibali, but Nibali certainly did see the mechanical and he certainly didn't deny attacking when Froome had a mechanical.
I'm glad he did. Nobody waited for Gesink when he had a flat up Plateu de Beille. Nobody waited for Contador when he crashed on the descent yesterday.
I don't see why someone should wait for the Yellow jersey. It's a race. Cycling isn't for p*ssies.
Sheesh all he had was a little stone that was gone in 5 seconds.

That was all piti though. He pushed it when Contador crashed.