• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 403 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Happy Birthday to the Best GT Rider rider now.
I leave you with one of his quotes:
“Pain is still the friend that always tells me the truth. Training is still an addiction. For sure there are days when the pain is overwhelming, where I push into the red so far that I wonder if I will come back.”

"This time of the year it always feels like it’s really getting towards the business part of my season,” said Froome. “I’m coming off the back of two great blocks of training with the guys up in Tenerife, which has got me in great shape and ready for the challenges ahead.

“I’m happy with where my form is right now. Everything is looking good and I’m looking forward to putting all the training into practice."

Great shape and Happy with his form. Nuclear Froomey coming up.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
"This time of the year it always feels like it’s really getting towards the business part of my season,” said Froome. “I’m coming off the back of two great blocks of training with the guys up in Tenerife, which has got me in great shape and ready for the challenges ahead.

“I’m happy with where my form is right now. Everything is looking good and I’m looking forward to putting all the training into practice."

Yeah. You knew it was coming, with Porte seemingly going full genius this year, as vulnerable and unlikely to win the TDF as he is. No risks. We may get to witness Froome at his career best, once again.

I hope he loses some time early on, so that he has no choice but to go full gas in the mountains. It's been a while since we saw something as dominant as Froome on La Pierre Saint-Martin.

Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
silvergrenade said:

Yeah. You knew it was coming, with Porte seemingly going full genius this year, as vulnerable and unlikely to win the TDF as he is. No risks. We may get to witness Froome at his career best, once again.

I hope he loses some time early on, so that he has no choice but to go full gas in the mountains. It's been a while since we saw something as dominant as Froome on La Pierre Saint-Martin.

Froome seems to be more calculating with his attacks these days and also racing smarter. No one expected him to take time on a descent and on a flat stage in last year's Tour but he did and when he can TT as well as he does he can hold back a bit for the third week. That seemed to be the plan last year, he probably feared Quintana having another strong third week and also maybe he was thinking of the Vuelta especially when he had the race under control. Even on the Ventoux he didn't launch a huge attack but he never seemed in trouble either.

Most definitely no, especially not after this season so far. I will rank Alejandro Valverde, Peter Sagan and probably Greg Van Avermaet above him. Those are all more versatile than Froome and perform on an incredible high level all year and winning the biggest outside of GTs.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Most definitely no, especially not after this season so far. I will rank Alejandro Valverde, Peter Sagan and probably Greg Van Avermaet above him. Those are all more versatile than Froome and perform on an incredible high level all year and winning the biggest outside of GTs.
C'mon how are you argue with july fans? :D

portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
C'mon how are you argue with july fans? :D
July fans, its it high up there on your superior pedestal

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Pushing it with GVA. Froome has shown that he is at least decent on all terrain, and if he wasn't so GC focused, he'd probably be winning time trials and potentially even being a decent outsider for the Ardennes. He is sensationally dominant in the types of races he does focus on, and has been for four years now. GVA similarly excels in the terrain he focuses on and is similarly versatile, but he's only had a great twelve months, and one incredible season certainly isn't more impressive than domination for a period of time.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Last year's palmares
1. Dauphine win with a stage
2. Tour victory with 2 stages with 1 being a TT
3. Olympics Bronze Medal
4. Vuelta second with 2 stage wins with 1 being a TT. The other where the legend was made..

Which GT rider has had a season like he has in the recent past?
About this year...
Last year he showed that the double was doable. If there is anybody who can do it, it's Froome.

silvergrenade said:
Valv.Piti said:
Last year's palmares
3. Olympics Bronze Medal
4. Vuelta second with 2 stage wins with 1 being a TT. The other where the legend was made..

About this year...
Last year he showed that the double was doable. If there is anybody who can do it, it's Froome.
Nibali 2013 is pretty close. A Giro with 2 stages, and second at the Vuelta to Papi Horner as well as a win at Tirreno-Adriatico and 4th in the road world championships, despite crashing.

And anyway, the claim was best cyclist, not best GC rider. There's little discussion about the latter, but a lot more about the former. And I don't think Froome's performances over this year and the last couple justify the tag wholly.

silvergrenade said:
Valv.Piti said:
Last year's palmares
3. Olympics Bronze Medal

About this year...
I don't disagree - Froome is the best GT-rider in the world, but Sagan and Valverde are to me the better cyclists. The jury is out on GVA.

Edit: Especially the latter who I consider the undisputed best rider in the world, Valverde that is. ;)

Valv.Piti said:
silvergrenade said:
Valv.Piti said:
Last year's palmares
3. Olympics Bronze Medal

About this year...
I don't disagree - Froome is the best GT-rider in the world, but Sagan and Valverde are to me the better cyclists. The jury is out on GVA.

Edit: Especially the latter who I consider the undisputed best rider in the world, Valverde that is. ;)

I also agree that Valverde is possibly be the most versatile rider in the world. He is just class.
But, if he is given a choice to give up on all his FW wins for one Tour win he'd take that. Anyday.
Conversely, if Froome is given the same deal with all FW and LBL wins in place of all of his 3 tour wins, he'll never take that.

Tour victory is the crown jewel is cycling, which makes him the best cyclist right now. Ofc, to each their own and I respect people who think Sagan, Valverde or GVA are better.

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Sure, the tour is more valuable than any FW or LBL win in isolation, but you have to consider the exchange rate. 1 tour win is not the same as 3 LBL to anyone who knows anything about cycling. Sure, to the layman who doesn't know or care anything about cycling other than the Tour de France, it might be more impressive, but the layman who doesn't know or care anything about cycling is also not likely to care about the legacy of great riders.

Would someone trade 10 monuments for 3 tour wins? No, I don't think so.