• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 431 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
So I defend the honor of Benson, Ryan and Cyclingnews vs. Team SKY and SDB, and this is my reward! :rolleyes:

DE9c0NwXkAEfkbU.jpg

Parker said:
joe_papp said:
So I defend the honor of Benson, Ryan and Cyclingnews vs. Team SKY and SDB, and this is my reward! :rolleyes:
You're a convicted drug dealer. You don't get to have the high moral ground whatever you do.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/papp-escapes-jail-sentence/

You may fool some idiots on here, but you don't fool me. You're a chancer.

You could be right, but what is your opinion regarding the aggression shown towards Barry Ryan from Dave Brailsford? Does it not set a dangerous precedent to act in such a hostile way towards a journalist for simply questioning the narrative you wish to project?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
TomLPC said:
You could be right, but what is your opinion regarding the aggression shown towards Barry Ryan from Dave Brailsford? Does it not set a dangerous precedent to act in such a hostile way towards a journalist for simply questioning the narrative you wish to project?

Not really, despite all the skybots talk DB is still a human and things will get to you after a while. Irrespective of whether you think the journalism is fair (DB clearly doesn't) or not getting trashed over and over again will make you say something stupid in public.

I don't know how Froome does it actually, especially with the french media. It's a big difference between a one time GT winner and a multiple GT winner someone who can handle that pressure. I think it's also ok to "block" people on twitter, not that I know much about how twitter works. It's just better for a persons mental health, even if someone is making a valid criticism I imagine to read 100 comments saying negative things about you will break you after a while. You can't do that.

Parker said:
joe_papp said:
You're a convicted drug dealer. You don't get to have the high moral ground whatever you do.

Me with my mod hat :) .

Good to see that you're linking a CN article to make your point. It goes to show that CN reports the news. Even Joe's news. He's not holding a grudge obviously, which I read as CN being just reporting news. Not biased.

I wish that Sir Dave was not taking the Lance stance when the reporting doesn't match his agenda. He's only making himself and Sky look more and more like things of the past. Not pretty.

By the way, we are getting in some troubled waters here: doping talk is not acceptable here.

Thanks.

TomLPC said:
Parker said:
joe_papp said:

Journalists have no divine right of access. Cyclists have certain media obligations, but beyond that access is based on the goodwill from the interviewee. This is basic journalism. Abuse that that and you'll be shut out. Ryan, as far as I can ascertain, has no journalistic background outside cycling and has come to see access as a right. Brailsford can choose who he talks to. I think Ryan is more happy making himself the story - like his hero Kimmage.

I think a big problem is that a lot of cycling journalists have never done anything else. No other sports. They think this access is niormal. They're spoilt brats. It's noticeable that (British) reporters whon have covered other sports aren;t complaining. They don;t have the same inflated sense of entitlement.

Tonton said:
Good to see that you're linking a CN article to make your point. It goes to show that CN reports the news. Even Joe's news. He's not holding a grudge obviously, which I read as CN being just reporting news. Not biased.

I wish that Sir Dave was not taking the Lance stance when the reporting doesn't match his agenda. He's only making himself and Sky look more and more like things of the past. Not pretty.

By the way, we are getting in some troubled waters here: doping talk is not acceptable here.

Thanks.
I understand your feelings. And I witnessed the origins of the Clinic when every thread was hijacked by doping fanatics. I appreciate that. But when you have someone like Joe Papp who has tried every dishonest path before giving honesty a try? That has to be called.
Why should he post unchallenged to spread his latest BS? He should be restricted to the Clinic.

Parker said:
Tonton said:

Thanks.
I understand your feelings. And I witnessed the origins of the Clinic when every thread was hijacked by doping fanatics. I appreciate that. But when you have someone like Joe Papp who has tried every dishonest path before giving honesty a try?
Why should he post unchallenged to spread his latest BS? He should be restricted to the Clinic.
My mod hat again :) .

As long as you don't break forum rules, you don't get "restricted". And BTW there's no being "restricted". Warnings, bans, that's enough to keep forum rules adhered to. Would you want to be "restricted" to the dungeon :eek: ? You are entitled to your opinions, like Joe, and as long as you don't break forum rules, fine.

I was listening to MIchael Vick on radio today...I still despise what he was involved in, what he did...he seems to have learned a lesson though. Did he? Really? I'm not sure. But he knows his football, talked about football, he knows more than I do. I listened. He was a pro QB. I wasn't. He also talked and seemed to be genuinely contrite about the mistakes he made and trying to move forward, he wants to be part of the solution. Food for thoughts...

Having said that, Froome will win. He will owe this one to his team though. Bardet will try, but he's not good enough. Aru will only go for the kill in the last kilometer or if the prey is wounded. Uran will remain under the radar, follow the moves and hope for Bardet and Aru to falter. Porte would have been a much more serious opponent IMO...and Valverde could have won it all...strange Tour indeed. Crappy design, but racers make the race, little gaps and hopes for all.

If Froome or anyone else bans someone on Twtiiter that is their right ....don't want to have to listen to the wailing of someone who is out to imply at every turn they are up to no good....would you like to get that on your timeline ?? I wouldn't

I was banned by Tinkov but fair dues I was attacking his nastiness ....and it was his right to ban me...

Re:

HelloDolly said:
If Froome or anyone else bans someone on Twtiiter that is their right ....don't want to have to listen to the wailing of someone who is out to imply at every turn they are up to no good....would you like to get that on your timeline ?? I wouldn't

I was banned by Tinkov but fair dues I was attacking his nastiness ....and it was his right to ban me...
Funnily enough I was blocked by Froome despite never mentioning his twitter handle :) I'm convinced it was the Cound Hound scouring the depths of twitter to find non-believers

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Given the amount of crap that is spewed on Twitter and directed at him personally, no surprise he blocks some of those users. I'd be sick of social media after a day.