• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 432 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 32 31.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 59 57.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 23 22.5%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
If Froome or anyone else bans someone on Twtiiter that is their right ....don't want to have to listen to the wailing of someone who is out to imply at every turn they are up to no good....would you like to get that on your timeline ?? I wouldn't

I was banned by Tinkov but fair dues I was attacking his nastiness ....and it was his right to ban me...
Funnily enough I was blocked by Froome despite never mentioning his twitter handle :) I'm convinced it was the Cound Hound scouring the depths of twitter to find non-believers

You are a marked woman :lol:

LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
If Froome or anyone else bans someone on Twtiiter that is their right ....don't want to have to listen to the wailing of someone who is out to imply at every turn they are up to no good....would you like to get that on your timeline ?? I wouldn't

I was banned by Tinkov but fair dues I was attacking his nastiness ....and it was his right to ban me...
Funnily enough I was blocked by Froome despite never mentioning his twitter handle :) I'm convinced it was the Cound Hound scouring the depths of twitter to find non-believers
cound hound? what a bitter women you are

Majestic performance by Froomey and team SKY today. A very excellent tribute to Nelson Mandela on Mandela Day.

mandela-quotes.jpg

Certainly for me that was the goal for of my preparations for the Tour – to come into the third week feeling the way I’m feeling now. I’m quite looking forward these next few days in the Alps now.
He seems to be getting better. Or is he just trying to scare his rivals? If he's really getting better, he should be able to drop them in the coming days.

Re:

Vasilis said:
Certainly for me that was the goal for of my preparations for the Tour – to come into the third week feeling the way I’m feeling now. I’m quite looking forward these next few days in the Alps now.
He seems to be getting better. Or is he just trying to scare his rivals? If he's really getting better, he should be able to drop them in the coming days.
I've never seen Froome talk about his form this way before.
Looks like he's just trying to scare them... :lol:

rick james said:
LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:

Froome Dog and Cound Hound, and it seems like a fitting nickname because she tracks everyone that dislikes Froome and blocks them (or threatens to sue...) You clearly don't have a sense of humor!

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Think he was peaking for 3rd week last year as well. We just never got to see if he really had an extra level in the third week, because by the 1st time trial he had already won the race. But he did smash the competitors in the MTT. And this he year he was going even easier in the Dauphiné.

Re:

Frankschleck said:
has froome not had a bad mountain stage in the last week of the tour the past three times he won? or am i rembering wrong?
Alpe d'Huez 2013 (hunger knock)
Annecy 2013 (not that bad, but lost 30 seconds to Quintana, although he'd already won anyway)
La Toussuire 2015, Alpe d'Huez 2016 (fell sick a bit)
Mont Blanc 2016 (he crashed on the descent, but he was still pretty close)

Tonton said:
Having said that, Froome will win. He will owe this one to his team though. Bardet will try, but he's not good enough. Aru will only go for the kill in the last kilometer or if the prey is wounded. Uran will remain under the radar, follow the moves and hope for Bardet and Aru to falter. Porte would have been a much more serious opponent IMO...and Valverde could have won it all...strange Tour indeed. Crappy design, but racers make the race, little gaps and hopes for all.

I think the little gaps prove this is a good route. There have been a couple of great stages where nothing changed on GC. It's interesting and different! The change I would make I suppose is to remove the ITT, or go crazy and make it like 6km MTT.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

silvergrenade said:
Vasilis said:
I've never seen Froome talk about his form this way before.
Looks like he's just trying to scare them... :lol:

He did stress in 2015 how he felt he was getting stronger and stronger.. while actually he was trying to obscure that he was sick. Only revealed that in the final press conference at night before the stage to Paris, but it was pretty obvious in stages 19 and 20 when he could barely hold the wheel of his teammates on the climbs.

I'm not sure he is getting better but I'm confident he can keep everyone in line and hold his time gap on those two stages in the Alps. And that is really all he needs before the ITT and smashing the Vuelta.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
He appears to be an expert Twitter user as well, capable of identifying hostile users even without direct interaction. Truly a complete set of skills.
More likely his PR team purchased some AI-based tooling and set a policy to proactively block unsympathetic users before they can post something.

Welcome to the 21th century. Ladies and gentlemen.

Vasilis said:
He is getting better in keeping his rivals in suspense, forcing them to waste energy marking him at all times instead of planning their own things. Alas stage 11 last year sure had lots of heads roll as this time we had almost a complete top10 in the reduced group on a "classics stage".
Even though, half those owe Aru a bottle for closing the gap.

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:

Froome Dog and Cound Hound, and it seems like a fitting nickname because she tracks everyone that dislikes Froome and blocks them (or threatens to sue...) You clearly don't have a sense of humor!

And yours is lackluster at best.

Re:

yaco said:
Hasn't needed to drop his competitors in the mountains during the last two tours.
FTFY

With all the doodoo that was flung at Sky after their dominant 1-2s at Ax-3-Domaines and Pierre St. Martin in '13 and '15 I totally understand if they want to win the race without fully releasing The Dawg. Considering the lack of TT prowess among the GC contenders Sky only needs to control the mountains and Froome has a guaranteed buffer of over a minute from the TTs alone. He doesn't need to solo the MTFs. It was obvious last year that he could have ridden away on some of the climbs if he really needed to.