• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 483 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
LaFlorecita said:
kenk09 said:
So body shaming is fine as long as it's anonymous. What nonsense. If you're going to complain about body shaming, DO NOT BODY SHAME. Hypocrisy hidden by anonymity is the worst.
Body shaming is bad because it makes people feel bad. Michelle went in with a personal attack with the sole aim of making the woman in question feel horrible. Doubt Froome will be bothered by some anonymous people calling his body gross and anyway, he's inviting comments by making these photos public. Guess he didn't get the reaction he wanted, but that's all part of the game.
Great, I'll quote that part whenever I see a public figure getting fat or sl*t shamed or whatever other forms of shaming there are. They're asking for it, after all. Their problem if they don't get the desired reaction.

kingjr said:
LaFlorecita said:
kenk09 said:
So body shaming is fine as long as it's anonymous. What nonsense. If you're going to complain about body shaming, DO NOT BODY SHAME. Hypocrisy hidden by anonymity is the worst.
Body shaming is bad because it makes people feel bad. Michelle went in with a personal attack with the sole aim of making the woman in question feel horrible. Doubt Froome will be bothered by some anonymous people calling his body gross and anyway, he's inviting comments by making these photos public. Guess he didn't get the reaction he wanted, but that's all part of the game.
Great, I'll quote that part whenever I see a public figure getting fat or sl*t shamed or whatever other forms of shaming there are. They're asking for it, after all. Their problem if they don't get the desired reaction.
You don't immediately make the connection "naked person - body" in your mind?

LaFlorecita said:
kenk09 said:
If I were to participate in some talent show (I would never, because I have no talent in anything :lol: ) I am going out in public and inviting others to form an opinion on me - one they can share in public.
Can you imagine if we were no longer allowed to judge contestants' singing voice on X Factor or Idols - which is what they're showing off to the public :lol:
Body shaming doesn't only hurt the specific target, but also those with similar traits as the target.

Do you think it'd be fine if fat shaming of lots of ordinary people was posted here, as long as they wouldn't read it themselves?

Netserk said:
Body shaming doesn't only hurt the specific target, but also those with similar traits as the target.

Do you think it'd be fine if fat shaming of lots of ordinary people was posted here, as long as they wouldn't read it themselves?
Well, if anyone with a body like Froome is reading this, I'd strongly advise against nakedly riding a bike and sharing photos of such activities :) in fact, no matter what you look like, just don't do it. It's classless and GROSS :)

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Fantastic photos imho. This is what the body of a top end athlete looks like, whatever your opinion about CF is (and you know mine).

People can have their opinions, but I think mrs Been has shown once again that she's not fit for being a commentator on a channel like Eurosport. "How can this be healthy", eh... it's not like he has to do a 2h ride every Sunday.

Re:

Pennino said:
Fantastic photos imho. This is what the body of a top end athlete looks like, whatever your opinion about CF is (and you know mine).

People can have their opinions, but I think mrs Been has shown once again that she's not fit for being a commentator on a channel like Eurosport. "How can this be healthy", eh... it's not like he has to do a 2h ride every Sunday.
I agree. I find the photos fascinating, and I admire the amount of effort put in to stay that way.

And this comes from someone whose reason for watching cycling is 90% aesthetics, and who therefore, quite understandably, has a rather strong dislike for Chris Froome the bike rider.

GenericBoonenFan said:
LaFlorecita said:
Ruby United said:
I know Contador has retired and there is not much to write on his thread, but can his blind obsequious fans please stay off this forum?
Also, I'm not blind, but after seeing the Froome picture, I kinda wish I was :eek:
You are really contradicting everything you've said so far...
Please point out in what way that post contradicted anything I posted before?

Re:

Pennino said:

I agree.

Re: Re:

oldcrank said:
Pennino said:

I agree.
You understand Dutch?

LaFlorecita said:
kingjr said:
LaFlorecita said:
kenk09 said:
What are you saying?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

On the photo itself, it's not pretty, but it has a certain aesthetic value, like a sighthound.

inb4 cound-pun

kingjr said:
LaFlorecita said:
kingjr said:
LaFlorecita said:
kenk09 said:
What are you saying?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

On the photo itself, it's not pretty, but it has a certain aesthetic value, like a sighthound.

inb4 cound-pun
You said you would quote that line to excuse bodyshaming public figures because "they're asking for it because they're public figures". If you had read my post carefully, you would have realized that was not the point I made. My point was that anyone who shares pictures of their naked self or allows those pictures to be shared with the public, is asking for a reaction to those pictures and in extension, asking for a reaction to their body because everyone makes the connection "naked picture = body" in their mind. The only reason to be photographed naked or to photograph someone naked is to show off the body. I hope you now see why your parallel with any random public figure (who does not share naked pictures) is false.

As for your second point: so we essentially agree. Not sure why my post provoked such an emotional response. Not everyone enjoys having a photo of an emaciated naked cyclist shoved into their face when they open the internet.

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
It's social media, if you don't wanna get body shamed - bullied etc. you shouldn't be on it.
Been is always complaining about the criticism she gets...yeah...well if you can't take it then simply just quit social media.
What? So its the people that gets bullied fault for being on Social media? What a crass statement

LaFlorecita said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
LaFlorecita said:
Ruby United said:
I know Contador has retired and there is not much to write on his thread, but can his blind obsequious fans please stay off this forum?
Also, I'm not blind, but after seeing the Froome picture, I kinda wish I was :eek:
You are really contradicting everything you've said so far...
Please point out in what way that post contradicted anything I posted before?
Ok, you didn't say it you implied it, but ok here I go.
You said that what MC did was wrong, well it was but it wasn't uncalled for. She was simply defending her husband from a person who's known to be a social media addicted full-of-herself narcissistic person. You condemned MC for body-shaming Been. Although I like to see Been get a boomerang to her face, I understand you. However, right now you called CF gross, I'll take it you were referring to his body, I don't think your familiar with his body odour. And that what you jjust did can be called (Read carefully so you understamd) body shaming, although it's far less severe of what MC did, you just took part in something you cleary condemned.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
It's social media, if you don't wanna get body shamed - bullied etc. you shouldn't be on it.
Been is always complaining about the criticism she gets...yeah...well if you can't take it then simply just quit social media.

Bullying is bullying, never justified, no matter real life or social media. Stupid comment.

Michelle Cound has a history of being crass and a bully.

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
GenericBoonenFan said:

Bullying is bullying, never justified, no matter real life or social media. Stupid comment.

Michelle Cound has a history of being crass and a bully.
offt the cheek :lol:

Re:

rick james said:
Who the hell is Been and what have they said? I'm a bit lost now
José Been is a Dutch cycling reporter and commentator for Eurosport who shared the photo of Froome on social media and added that she believed he looks unhealthy. So Froome's wife Michelle replied to her saying "his BF% is 10% which is healthy and far more healthy than your 40%". Later José Been replied that she got that incorrect as her BF% is 33%, to which Michelle replied with a table that showed the different levels of body fat adding the hashtag #obese.
FYI José Been is overweight which according to her is because her cancer treatment made it impossible to lose weight for many years, she is now slowly losing weight.

GenericBoonenFan said:
You said that what MC did was wrong, well it was but it wasn't uncalled for. She was simply defending her husband from a person who's known to be a social media addicted full-of-herself narcissistic person. You condemned MC for body-shaming Been. Although I like to see Been get a boomerang to her face, I understand you. However, right now you called CF gross, I'll take it you were referring to his body, I don't think your familiar with his body odour. And that what you jjust did can be called (Read carefully so you understamd) body shaming, although it's far less severe of what MC did, you just took part in something you cleary condemned.
Yes so my reaction was slightly exaggerated, I could also have posted "off to wash my eyes with bleach now", would you have thought I was actually going to do that? Don't take everything so literally. That photo is not literally gross but to me, it definitely isn't pleasant or attractive to look at. Because the sole purpose of these photos is to make people look at and form an opinion on his body, I think I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and allowed to share it.
I really hope you can see the difference between an exaggerated emotional response to something that is meant to provoke a response and being nasty just to hurt another's feelings.

LaFlorecita said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Yes so my reaction was slightly exaggerated, I could also have posted "off to wash my eyes with bleach now", would you have thought I was actually going to do that? Don't take everything so literally. That photo is not literally gross but to me, it definitely isn't pleasant or attractive to look at. Because the sole purpose of these photos is to make people look at and form an opinion on his body, I think I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and allowed to share it.
I really hope you can see the difference between an exaggerated emotional response to something that is meant to provoke a response and being nasty just to hurt another's feelings.
I did not take it literally, I just thought and still think that you're hypocrit