• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 486 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
He looked completely cooked and Dumoulin was from another planet to everyone else. Still incredible to walk away with bronze after the season he had.

I sure hope Dumoulin is going to do the Tour so we get a proper fight, because frankly the contenders in the past have just not been up to scratch.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Nice job on the bronze medal after an incredible season. No chance he was going to be close to Dumoulin who had targeted this while Froome was slogging it out at the Tour and Vuelta.

Next years Tour should be interesting, though I wish he'd go for the Giro and get the 'grand slam'.

I fully agree. Very strong bronze against two riders who targeted the competition and I also wish he went for the Giro in '18, although I get why he won't.
More than likely he will never get the chance to hold all. 3 titles simultaneously, which imo would be more historic than Tour #5 or even #6.

Re: Re:

hazaran said:
Still incredible to walk away with bronze after the season he had.

Yes, though he caught a big break when Dennis fell and Gougeard had a mechanical. Dennis probably would have finished ahead of Froome otherwise, and Gougeard would have at least been close.

spalco said:
More than likely he will never get the chance to hold all. 3 titles simultaneously, which imo would be more historic than Tour #5 or even #6.

Who’s done that? AFAIK, only Merckx in 1972-73, and Hinault in 1982-83, when the Vuelta was the first GT of the season. Merckx actually won four GTs in a row, winning the Giro right after the Vuelta, something Froome could match if he won the Giro-TDF double next year.

Contador at least attempted this when he entered the TDF in 2015, as defending champion in the Vuelta and Giro.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gougeard? Are you kidding me. The GPS showed he already lost his advantage to Oliveira before the chain incident. That just added another 30s. Even if it didn't happen he'd be 8th/9th at best

He finished 33 seconds behind Froome (and 25 seconds behind Oliveira).

Never trust the GPS (though even if it were accurate, AG could have made up time after the chain incident).

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Froome played it perfectly that day, did what he had to do to give himself a shot at taking it. Legs didn't want to comply but he gave himself the chance.

Maybe if a few of the current GT contenders could learn to do the same we'd have more exciting racing.

Re:

Forever The Best said:
While I dislike Froome, Froome rode like a champ on the stage to Solaison and tried everything to win. It was a joy to see. This is racing, not a tea party. Porte should stop whining.

I'm all for racing hard as well...but I do wonder what benefit Froome gained by asking the other strong riders to attack Porte. It did him no good. Perhaps that's just how much he dislikes Porte....a shame to bring that into the racing picture.

Re:

cocteau_ireland said:
Tbh I would've loved to see Froome ride for Porte that day..For old times sakes'.
I will never understand why he had to call a coup against his best friend(Apparently :p )
Porte is right in saying he expected more class from a man who he'd helped win the Tour multiple times.
Not one of Froomes best moments. :cry:

Jspear said:
Forever The Best said:
While I dislike Froome, Froome rode like a champ on the stage to Solaison and tried everything to win. It was a joy to see. This is racing, not a tea party. Porte should stop whining.

I'm all for racing hard as well...but I do wonder what benefit Froome gained by asking the other strong riders to attack Porte. It did him no good. Perhaps that's just how much he dislikes Porte....a shame to bring that into the racing picture.
It was in their interests of all of them to ally against Porte.

Jspear said:
Forever The Best said:

I'm all for racing hard as well...but I do wonder what benefit Froome gained by asking the other strong riders to attack Porte. It did him no good.
Porte had a one minute lead on GC. Froome was in second. To win Froome, or anyone else, had to crack Porte. No-one was likely to do it alone. (With about 7km to go, Froome was the virtual leader, so the opportunity was created - which Fuglsang eventually took for himself)