• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 489 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re:

rick james said:
But clearly to some, style beats actually winning grand tours,,,so I'll ask who really doesn't have a clue how cycling works?
Nibali and Contador haven't won GTs? 11(13) combined actually, and with style.
Oldcrank should tell his "non-cycling friends" - Nibali and Contador think they can beat Froome because they're Champs - real Champions don't just accept a defeat.
I'd tell oldcrank: do your duty as a cycling fan and teach them a thing or 2 about how this sport works.

ladies and gentlemen, let's not conflate 'with style' / 'without style' and 'gt victories i was content with' / "those I was not". it goes without saying all froome's gts were secured with style. the other issue that style fails to please all the fans.

Re: Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
miguelindurain111 said:
rick james said:
But clearly to some, style beats actually winning grand tours,,,so I'll ask who really doesn't have a clue how cycling works?

Speaking of style, Froome is like cycling's Emil Zátopek and that's actually a reason to like him. Well, at least for me :)

https://youtu.be/qINaVe0oyx0

LOL, now who did that runner who fell remind me of? :lol:
Is it someone who retired recently? :razz:

Re:

dacooley said:
without mighty sky froome would've won lesser amount of grand tours and still would've taken a few. the role of the team in his success is very big but not immense. strong teammates don't set you free from having to keep the necessary watts in the legs and be a versatile rider. all the more so even without a team froome showed several impressive yo-yoing lessons like on cavadonga and vaujany.

Nibali need to look closer to home. How many times has he benefited from rivals crashing out of a grand tour ? First Contador with the power meters now Nibali. Time to put those sour grapes away............

movingtarget said:
dacooley said:
without mighty sky froome would've won lesser amount of grand tours and still would've taken a few. the role of the team in his success is very big but not immense. strong teammates don't set you free from having to keep the necessary watts in the legs and be a versatile rider. all the more so even without a team froome showed several impressive yo-yoing lessons like on cavadonga and vaujany.

Nibali need to look closer to home. How many times has he benefited from rivals crashing out of a grand tour ? First Contador with the power meters now Nibali. Time to put those sour grapes away............
You can call it sour grapes but you should understand 9 times out of 10 they are asked a question and respond in a certain way after which the response is quoted and not the question. Would you rather they'd just ignore any question about Sky's dominance? Would that not be "sour grapes" in your eyes? Or should they just fawn over Sky, no criticism allowed in DPR of Cycling.
I understand why you might not like what they're saying but they're 100% right and perhaps if people listened to them and tried to understand where they're coming from instead of immediately shooting them down citing sour grapes and bitterness, stage racing could become truly fun to watch again.

The only Tour I could see Froome maybe not having won if he was not with Sky would be 2015. I think 2013/2016 he was way too dominant and 2017 the strength of the contenders wasn't that high.

In terms of Nibali, I think he needs to focus on himself and his own performances rather than try to detract from others.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
dacooley said:

You can call it sour grapes but you should understand 9 times out of 10 they are asked a question and respond in a certain way after which the response is quoted and not the question. Would you rather they'd just ignore any question about Sky's dominance? Would that not be "sour grapes" in your eyes? Or should they just fawn over Sky, no criticism allowed in DPR of Cycling.
I understand why you might not like what they're saying but they're 100% right and perhaps if people listened to them and tried to understand where they're coming from instead of immediately shooting them down citing sour grapes and bitterness, stage racing could become truly fun to watch again.

From Once, Liberty Seguros, Discovery Channel, Astana, Saxo Bank?

LaFlorecita said:
they are coming from being upset by froome and sky beating them. "fun to watch" for who?

dacooley said:
LaFlorecita said:
they are coming from being upset by froome and sky beating them. "fun to watch" for who?
You either enjoy the tension of the race, or you enjoy who wins. The race hasn't had the first one for 7 years when July rolls around, and it's the only kind of enjoyment from the race that could apply to all fans.

both bertie and nibs obviously gave vent to their emotions in these interviews. i don't think they were worried about the delivered spectacle too much when they were conquering their grand tours in the past. tackling froome and sky in a gt for sure requires some new approach. although, it's quite simple. to beat dawg, you should be able to outdo him by watts outright, as ac did in the 2014 dauphine and vuelta. nibali noticeably didn't have enough in the tank to pull it off in the vuelta, aru's climbing level on week 1 and 2 in the tour might've cracked froome, but he didn't have a team and much experience. furthermore, all the contenders fear froome even when he's not brilliant exactly the same as everyone feared contador in his golden years. from a certain point the reputation of the strongest starts helping you.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

pastronef said:
Durden93 said:
dastott said:
Didn't Nibali win his last GT thanks to a strong team? By far the strongest in the race...

Sky and Bahrain are not comparable in their ability to cobtrol a race.

He won 1 Tour and 2 Giro with Astana, not Bahrain.
and Astana 2014 smashed the Tour, go and rewatch the Hautacam stage

Now rewatch the cobbled stage of that Tour and you'll see someone racing with style and not relying on 5 team-mates to bring him to the finish-line.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
Now rewatch the cobbled stage of that Tour and you'll see someone racing with style and not relying on 5 team-mates to bring him to the finish-line.

2015, right? Just rewatched it. Saw Froome attacking in the yellow jersey. Nibali hopeless, somehow he was even 2 minutes behind already by Stage 4, don't remember the other stages but I'm sure that time loss was down to "racing with style" :lol:

hazaran said:
El Pistolero said:

2015, right? Just rewatched it. Saw Froome attacking in the yellow jersey. Nibali hopeless, somehow he was even 2 minutes behind already by Stage 4, don't remember the other stages but I'm sure that time loss was down to "racing with style" :lol:
Froome was the boss that day, 2015 was a great year for cobbles

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Parker said:
El Pistolero said:
Fuglsang and Westra did huge amounts of work for him on that stage

Still put his nose more in the wind that day than Froome has in his 4 Tour wins combined.

It's also very noticeable that the only people fawning over Froome in this thread are British.

El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:

Still put his nose more in the wind that day than Froome has in his 4 Tour wins combined.

It's also very noticeable that the only people fawning over Froome in this thread are British.
Is it, now?
It'd be nice if you could prove some of your ramblings on here. ;)

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
pastronef said:
Durden93 said:
dastott said:
Didn't Nibali win his last GT thanks to a strong team? By far the strongest in the race...

Sky and Bahrain are not comparable in their ability to cobtrol a race.

He won 1 Tour and 2 Giro with Astana, not Bahrain.
and Astana 2014 smashed the Tour, go and rewatch the Hautacam stage

Right, Nibali certainly has much more ability to adapt to changing circumstances on the road. When Sky are under pressure throughout a stage Froome can struggle like in the 2016 Vuelta. With that being said I can't remember a time when Nibali consistently had 3+ teammates with him in the late moments of mountain stages. Obviously my memory is not perfect, so if someone has any counter examples I would be glad to view them.

El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:

You can't even get the years right for your new favourite rider

silvergrenade said:
El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:

Is it, now?
It'd be nice if you could prove some of your ramblings on here. ;)
They can't...hell they don't even know the right dates for the stage wins