• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 490 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Durden93 said:
dastott said:
Didn't Nibali win his last GT thanks to a strong team? By far the strongest in the race...

Sky and Bahrain are not comparable in their ability to cobtrol a race.

But the Nibali version of Astana and the Contador version were strong teams let alone the Discovery team that Contador won with. Anyone would think they were riding with no team. Sky changed the way a race is controlled with their tactics that are very regimented but a strong team is a strong team. Some of the greatest GT riders of all time had strong teams. Nibali's lack of GT success in 2017 was more about his own form but his team certainly needs to be strengthened. I do think though that in the 2017 races Froome relied on his team more than ever simply because Froome 2017 is not the rider he used to be but the lack of consistency and form from others made it easier for him and like Dumoulin he still has the benefit of great TT ability which is where he makes most of his time gains these days enabling him to keep winning GTs.

El Pistolero said:
It's also very noticeable that the only people fawning over Froome in this thread are British.
He's won the Tour de France four times. People still remember the names Philippe Thys and Louison Bobet for winning three from decades back. The idea that he is not already one of the sport's greats is just delusional.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Parker said:
El Pistolero said:
It's also very noticeable that the only people fawning over Froome in this thread are British.
He's won the Tour de France four times. People still remember the names Philippe Thys and Louison Bobet for winning three from decades back. The idea that he is not already one of the sport's greats is just delusional.

What does winning Tours have to do with being liked?

Poulidor had more fans than Anquetil despite never having won the Tour.

During a team-building event I told a new colleague of mine I liked cycling and the first thing she said was "you're not a fan of Froome are you?"

Not a lot of people like Froome and they never will. Nothing about him comes across as genuine. It wouldn't surprise me if even his interviews were written ahead of time.

I'll gladly take Nibali, who will sometimes say stupid *** just because he's letting his emotions get the better of him.

There's a reason why people call Sky robots.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Durden93 said:
dastott said:
Didn't Nibali win his last GT thanks to a strong team? By far the strongest in the race...

But the Nibali version of Astana and the Contador version were strong teams let alone the Discovery team that Contador won with. Anyone would think they were riding with no team. Sky changed the way a race is controlled with their tactics that are very regimented but a strong team is a strong team. Some of the greatest GT riders of all time had strong teams. Nibali's lack of GT success in 2017 was more about his own form but his team certainly needs to be strengthened. I do think though that in the 2017 races Froome relied on his team more than ever simply because Froome 2017 is not the rider he used to be but the lack of consistency and form from others made it easier for him and like Dumoulin he still has the benefit of great TT ability which is where he makes most of his time gains these days enabling him to keep winning GTs.

In my opinion, there has only been one team as strong as sky, poastal. There's a difference between a team having a few legitimate GT contenders and breaking a race open (Saxo Bank with the Schlecks, Astana in various circumstances) and being able to completely control a race. If they race aggressively, Movistar (Quintana, Landa) Astana (Aru, Fugulsang) and potentially Orica have the strength to put significant strain on Froome. I have to wonder if he would crack if that happened.

El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:

During a team-building event I told a new colleague of mine I liked cycling and the first thing she said was "you're not a fan of Froome are you?"

Not a lot of people like Froome and they never will. Nothing about him comes across as genuine. It wouldn't surprise me if even his interviews were written ahead of time.

I'll gladly take Nibali, who will sometimes say stupid **** just because he's letting his emotions get the better of him.

Sometimes? :D
I still remember how he was boasting about his form in 2015 just before the Tour and claiming that he doesn't believe Froome could even podium since he lacks the form. :D :D
Then how after the Tour his famous quote: "I was giving orders and they weren't listening." What orders was he giving exactly? Maybe at LPSM: "Hey Jacob, 200 watts is way too much. Ride at 190 watts." :D :D
The relationship between riders inside his team really changed after that Tour I think. Astana had moved on. Also I believe it was still Movistar who were banging it out at the front when Nibs went pop.

Such teams will always be present. If you dont have the watts to match that, well, you lose 4 mins+ on single MTFs.

Durden93 said:
movingtarget said:
Durden93 said:
dastott said:

In my opinion, there has only been one team as strong as sky, poastal. There's a difference between a team having a few legitimate GT contenders and breaking a race open (Saxo Bank with the Schlecks, Astana in various circumstances) and being able to completely control a race. If they race aggressively, Movistar (Quintana, Landa) Astana (Aru, Fugulsang) and potentially Orica have the strength to put significant strain on Froome. I have to wonder if he would crack if that happened.

I think the 2008 CSC Tour team was pretty formidable and for Evans to lose by a little under a minute with the team he had was above expectations. He was basically riding against three potential race winners in Sastre and the Schlecks plus Voigt, O'Grady, Cancellara and few other great domestiques. The US Postal team was the greatest team on paper and even more aggressive than Sky in that they used up the entire team pretty much before the final climb and left maybe one rider with Armstrong further up the climb while Froome has always preferred to have a few riders with him until the latter stages of the final climb unless he has been so good that he just rode off the front which he used to be able to do. But of course US Postal was an illusion not in talent but certainly in performance for reasons that became clear.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

silvergrenade said:
El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:

I'll gladly take Nibali, who will sometimes say stupid **** just because he's letting his emotions get the better of him.

I still remember how he was boasting about his form in 2015 just before the Tour and claiming that he doesn't believe Froome could even podium since he lacks the form. :D :D
Then how after the Tour his famous quote: "I was giving orders and they weren't listening." What orders was he giving exactly? Maybe at LPSM: "Hey Jacob, 200 watts is way too much. Ride at 190 watts." :D :D
The relationship between riders inside his team really changed after that Tour I think. Astana had moved on. Also I believe it was still Movistar who were banging it out at the front when Nibs went pop.

Such teams will always be present. If you dont have the watts to match that, well, you lose 4 mins+ on single MTFs.

I still remember when Froome got dropped whenever the road went up.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/froome-disqualified-from-giro-ditalia-60517

El Pistolero said:
silvergrenade said:
El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:

I still remember how he was boasting about his form in 2015 just before the Tour and claiming that he doesn't believe Froome could even podium since he lacks the form. :D

I still remember when Froome got dropped whenever the road went up.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/froome-disqualified-from-giro-ditalia-60517
Nice try! :razz:

El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:
Now rewatch the cobbled stage of that Tour and you'll see someone racing with style and not relying on 5 team-mates to bring him to the finish-line.
Fuglsang and Westra did huge amounts of work for him on that stage

Still put his nose more in the wind that day than Froome has in his 4 Tour wins combined.

I am 100% Italian, I dont fawn, I am aware of doping as many fans. it's fun to see people go mad at him ;) :D

El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:

lol,the sour grapes never ends

pastronef said:
El Pistolero said:
Parker said:
El Pistolero said:
Now rewatch the cobbled stage of that Tour and you'll see someone racing with style and not relying on 5 team-mates to bring him to the finish-line.
Fuglsang and Westra did huge amounts of work for him on that stage

Still put his nose more in the wind that day than Froome has in his 4 Tour wins combined.

I am 100% Italian, I dont fawn, I am aware of doping as many fans. it's fun to see people go mad at him ;) :D

It sure is.

Re:

Singer01 said:
It's amazing how everyone goes crazy at Froome fans when they come in and derail for example the Contador thread, but its perfectly acceptable to do it in the Froome thread, because reasons.
El pistolero is a Nibali fan much more than a Contador fan, I don't see which other "Contador fans" derailed this thread. I assume you've never seen that select group of Sky fans wreak havoc in the Contador thread, because whatever it is you see in this thread, it is nothing like it.

Re:

Singer01 said:
It's amazing how everyone goes crazy at Froome fans when they come in and derail for example the Contador thread, but its perfectly acceptable to do it in the Froome thread, because reasons.

I think it's really just a very vocal two Contador fans that tend to derail things. There are some really good quality posters who are Contador fans but they get drowned out sadly.

LaFlorecita said:
Singer01 said:
El pistolero is a Nibali fan much more than a Contador fan, I don't see which other "Contador fans" derailed this thread. I assume you've never seen that select group of Sky fans wreak havoc in the Contador thread, because whatever it is you see in this thread, it is nothing like it.
i didn't say Contador fans, i said fans of other riders. Contador was mentioned as i've seen numerous gripes in his thread about the exact same thing that is happening in the Froome thread recently.
I find the vocal minority of Froome fans who wish to antagonise instead of discuss just as much as a problem.

Singer01 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Singer01 said:
i didn't say Contador fans, i said fans of other riders. Contador was mentioned as i've seen numerous gripes in his thread about the exact same thing that is happening in the Froome thread recently.
I find the vocal minority of Froome fans who wish to antagonise instead of discuss just as much as a problem.
Fair enough, in that case I agree :)

Re:

CTQ said:
Now only a week left to register/enter, but still almost
seven weeks to get in shape to ride with Froomey at
L'Etape Australia in the Snowy Mountains of NSW. :)

Harrison Bailey's account of his day out with Froomey
at the 2016 L'Etape Australia:
http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/the-day-I-rode-with-chris-froome/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxh6X6foFOQ

"From what I saw on Saturday he is a true gentleman
and embodies the image that all professional cyclists
should portray. I can think of no better person in the
world of cycling-and possibly sport itself-that aspiring
athletes should look to for inspiration."
Harro Bailey on Chris Froome after their 3 hour ride.

TRENDING THREADS