• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 568 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
If the rumours are correct and it was an open fracture, then it’s an incredibly serious injury. He’ll be lucky to ride again at the same level.
Since we still don't have solid confirmation about CF, I will just comment on open fractures in general. Simply being an open fracture doesn't make it "incredibly serious". What can make it more serious is if the wound gets infected and/or if other soft tissue is also damaged (ie: bone rips through part of the quad, etc.).

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
Awful for cycling. I was looking forward to rooting against him in the Tour. You never want to see someone go out like that
VMT - it's basically ruined the Tour this year Whether you like him or loathe him, he's far and away the biggest box office rider right now out of the GC guys.

Hopefully he can get back to his best in time for next year.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Awful for cycling. I was looking forward to rooting against him in the Tour. You never want to see someone go out like that
VMT - it's basically ruined the Tour this year Whether you like him or loathe him, he's far and away the biggest box office rider right now out of the GC guys.

He was almost 1/1 in the betting odds for the Tour de France win this morning, if he had smashed this TT I wonder if he could've been a bigger favourite than "anyone but Froome"...

But then, this is a part of cycling too I suppose. Whoever wins now probably still deserves it.

spalco said:
DFA123 said:
Amazinmets87 said:

He was almost 1/1 in the betting odds for the Tour de France win this morning, if he had smashed this TT I wonder if he could've been a bigger favourite than "anyone but Froome"...

But then, this is a part of cycling too I suppose. Whoever wins now probably still deserves it.
For sure, they will definitely still deserve it. But it will be the same way that Carlos Sastre or Nibali deserved their Tour win.

Re:

markene2 said:
I think this is more serious then they are letting on, especially with the photos of him being airlifted, and some reports saying he had trouble speaking. (If they are correct.) Sounds like head trauma
I am getting quite worried about the lack of updates. Usually we are given further news by this point- I.e. they are awake and talking etc.

I think the focus should be if he is okay and if he will able to live a normal life after this injury.

If he can make a full recovery and be able to race at the highest level again, amazing.

Never been a fan but I will be sad seeing him go out like this. Especially since he hopefully has many years left on this earth. A father. It is more to this than just cycling.

Praying for positive updates.

markene2 said:
ice&fire said:
Vino won the Olympics after a similar fracture, so there's still hope for Chris

True, but he was no way as strong as before the fracture. As a gc rider he was finished after the fracture

Hope froome is okay, sounds like its more than the femur from Brailsford
Le Mond came back from Shotgun blast, Armstrong from cancer.....Froome could come back, but the recovery will take a long time. What Froome and the forementioned athletes have is focus, and recovery, as well as iron will.

DFA123 said:
Amazinmets87 said:

I hope the same, but he'll be 35 by the time next years Tour rolls around and he was showing signs of decline pre-accident.

When the report said Froome broke his femur, I thought of Beloki. It turns out Joseba broke both his femur and elbow, just like Froome. I understand recovery times and extents can vary greatly, but Beloki was never the same after that as far as I know. He came back the following year, but quit early on because of pain, then raced some more later. The next year, 2005, two years after the accident, he finished 75th in the TDF, and he was never a GT contender again. Whether this was because of physical effects or mental ones, who knows.

While obviously there's never a good time to have a horrific accident, Froome is probably fairly near the end of his career, at least the end of his seriously challenging for winning GTs, so if he doesn't recover fully, he has less to lose than if this accident had happened earlier in his career. If in the worst case scenario this is the end of his career, he hasn't lost much. Maybe a fifth TDF, maybe 2-3 more podiums, but his current palmares obviously stand on their own.

Re:

Merckx index said:
When the report said Froome broke his femur, I thought of Beloki. It turns out Joseba broke both his femur and elbow, just like Froome. I understand recovery times and extents can vary greatly, but Beloki was never the same after that as far as I know. He came back the following year, but quit early on because of pain, then raced some more later. The next year, 2005, two years after the accident, he finished 75th in the TDF, and he was never a GT contender again. Whether this was because of physical effects or mental ones, who knows.

Yep when they said his femur was broken, I immediately thought of Beloki. Hopefully, he makes a full recovery.

rick james said:
F_Cance said:
This is just typical Sky/Ineos behaviour imo. I get what you guys mean and also had this thought, but i think (and hope) that this does not have to mean anything.

didn't realise it was Ineos behaviour to throw their riders into walls and make them miss the biggest race of the year

You clearly missed his point, not that I think he is right, but he meant that there are no news updates is Sky behaviour just before they gave an update btw.

DFA123 said:
Amazinmets87 said:

It certainly hasn't ruined the tour. Nobody wants to see what happened to CF today.
However, with him out, there's still a lot of intrigue in the team Ineos story alone. Will G be strong and consistent like last year? Will Bernal take over? Etc

I feel really, really bad for Froome. Something in me likes him and no matter what, it really just sucks when you crash like that. Especially at this place in the season when he finally seemed to have found his legs and looked like a pretty big favourite for TdF.

I don't feel bad for Ineos, tho. They will have the 2018-winner and the biggest GT talent since Ullrich waiting in the wings.

Still, we can't discount the fact that the race probably will be LESS controlled. Thats good, but only speculation. On the other hand, it will always have an asterisk to it like Sastre's Tour-win and to bit lesser extent Nibali. And thats something that really sucks about sport and this sport in particular IMO.

Kevin Durant yesterday, Froome today.

Re:

Merckx index said:

While obviously there's never a good time to have a horrific accident, Froome is probably fairly near the end of his career, at least the end of his seriously challenging for winning GTs, so if he doesn't recover fully, he has less to lose than if this accident had happened earlier in his career. If in the worst case scenario this is the end of his career, he hasn't lost much. Maybe a fifth TDF, maybe 2-3 more podiums, but his current palmares obviously stand on their own.
Absolutely- it is not like he has anything left to prove. He could retire today and he would still be remembered as one of the greatest riders in recent times. He might come back and not be able to go for GC properly anymore- but maybe he could switch his focus a little- what about 1 day races.

TRENDING THREADS