• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

  • Yes.

    Votes: 30 33.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

    Votes: 54 59.3%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

    Votes: 19 20.9%

  • Total voters
    91
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
This was Sunday's stage all over again - Froome left isolated by weakness in his own team. His interview afterwards seemed to hint at where he thought it had gone wrong, people switching off. When Saxo put the foot down, Cav was the last person ahead of him to make the jump across (and he himself said he made it only just with a sprint) - where was everybody else? I'm sure he was radioing to find out where his team was, as opposed to saying "Dave, can I chase this group down?" :rolleyes:

his body language in the podium is a telling. No smile. And his interview was so totally different from when he won Ax3, and being asked if it was too early to get the yellow jersey. He said immediately, no, and he is confident with his team. Ow, boy,.. how one week changes so many things. Sky starts showing their weakness. I hope other team smells blood.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
2
0
Visit site
Jelantik said:
his body language in the podium is a telling. No smile. And his interview was so totally different from when he won Ax3, and being asked if it was too early to get the yellow jersey. He said immediately, no, and he is confident with his team. Ow, boy,.. how one week changes so many things. Sky starts showing their weakness. I hope other team smells blood.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves too early, it is only one stage and Froom still have massive lead, and so far he showed no weak sign in climbing and TT superbly. I really want to see how next MTF stage raced, then decide whether to kick Froom dog to the side of the road or not.:D
 
JimPanzen said:
Even if his team crumbles...if Froome remains that strong individually it's going to be hard to overcome him in GC.

He (and his team) will need to avoid making tactical mistakes too. Fortunately for them the mistake in today's stage wasn't fatal, but they will need to learn from that and not make similar mistakes again, because the next one will have a good chance of costing Froome the whole race.

But yes, Froome will need to step up individually now that his team's strength is questionable.
 
Jul 19, 2010
741
1
0
Visit site
Now it's going to be interesting. This is a mental blow for Froome, now we'll see how tough he really is. The Tour isn't necessarily won by the strongest rider, but also the smartest and mentally toughest. Froome hasn't had a setback all season long and this is his first year being the leader. Lots of guys under him in GC can't wait to knock him out, so we'll see.

Saxo has proven they are smart and have tons of experience. This will be entertaining.
 
TheEnoculator said:
Now it's going to be interesting. This is a mental blow for Froome, now we'll see how tough he really is. The Tour isn't necessarily won by the strongest rider, but also the smartest and mentally toughest. Froome hasn't had a setback all season long and this is his first year being the leader. Lots of guys under him in GC can't wait to knock him out, so we'll see.

Saxo has proven they are smart and have tons of experience. This will be entertaining.

Well, there was Tirreno Adriatico Stage 6, so this is the second time this season he's had a setback.
 

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
5,122
0
0
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Based on what ? Contador could lose the minute he gained if he climbs like last week. Froome's team might look weaker but he did not extend himself today.

Based on Thirdworld's desire. Is that really not enough?
 
May 16, 2013
211
0
0
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Based on what ? Contador could lose the minute he gained if he climbs like last week. Froome's team might look weaker but he did not extend himself today.

based on a weak team that is overtrained and overburned... Froome was doing the same of his teammates... So soon he will be in the box of overburned, like his camaradas!

:D
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,268
1
0
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hilarious news from Bram Tankink

He said with 20km to go Froome came to him and asked "Why do you guys stop riding now?". To which Tankink replied "Our guys are up front.."
Froome "Oh ****, seriously? I'm f*cked ********"

lol that is hilarious.

(Maybe, instead of looking at his SRM every 3s, he should focus on the road, and especially those guys that make up the peloton... ;)
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hilarious news from Bram Tankink

He said with 20km to go Froome came to him and asked "Why do you guys stop riding now?". To which Tankink replied "Our guys are up front.."
Froome "Oh ****, seriously? I'm f*cked ********"

I couldn't believe when I heard that considering he was between teh 2 groups for a bit. he must've seen both belkins
 
Jul 11, 2013
291
0
0
Visit site
ThirdWorld said:
based on a weak team that is overtrained and overburned... Froome was doing the same of his teammates... So soon he will be in the box of overburned, like his camaradas!

:D

Dawg doesn't get tired. In fact, it's much more likely we see a Ventoux spectacle from him rather than him cracking, even a little bit.
 
TheEnoculator said:
Now it's going to be interesting. This is a mental blow for Froome, now we'll see how tough he really is. The Tour isn't necessarily won by the strongest rider, but also the smartest and mentally toughest....
I wonder to what extent Pharmstrong's stinging remarks about Contador when Alberto got caught out by the wind in the 2009 TdF's stage 3 were responsible for him not missing the jump today. Once bitten, twice shy?
 
StyrbjornSterki said:
I wonder to what extent Pharmstrong's stinging remarks about Contador when Alberto got caught out by the wind in the 2009 TdF's stage 3 were responsible for him not missing the jump today. Once bitten, twice shy?

More to the point what is Froome doing?

He's the yellow jersey holder.

He's riding like he's still at Barloworld. Or Konica!
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
thehog said:
More to the point what is Froome doing?

He's the yellow jersey holder.

He's riding like he's still at Barloworld. Or Konica!

according to nico verhoeven froome went begging to all the teams todya to please help them chase back to contador. lol, what a joke
 
Feb 28, 2010
1,661
0
0
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
according to nico verhoeven froome went begging to all the teams todya to please help them chase back to contador. lol, what a joke

Except those posting during the stage were complaining that other teams did appear to be helping Sky/Froome to chase down Contador.
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
according to nico verhoeven froome went begging to all the teams todya to please help them chase back to contador. lol, what a joke

I don't see how anyone else would have done any different in those circumstances today, especially with his team looking weaker. Luckily Greipel and Kristoff were left as well as AG2R who were riding to keep their top 10 GC.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I don't see how anyone else would have done any different in those circumstances today, especially with his team looking weaker. Luckily Greipel and Kristoff were left as well as AG2R who were riding to keep their top 10 GC.

a real leader would've started chasing himself, you saw contador today? he pulled all the time. that's what a leader is
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
2
0
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
according to nico verhoeven froome went begging to all the teams todya to please help them chase back to contador. lol, what a joke

Why would anyone help race leader? As a race leader, you should lead. And what is his bargain chip? A piece of his ginormous salary? LOL
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
2
0
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I don't see how anyone else would have done any different in those circumstances today, especially with his team looking weaker. Luckily Greipel and Kristoff were left as well as AG2R who were riding to keep their top 10 GC.

Why would anyone help race leader? As a race leader, you should lead. And what is his bargain chip? A piece of his ginormous salary? LOL
 
Yeah, why would they help him? Looks like he already got a lot more help than he should have, especially from the idiots at AG2R...didn't he poke fun at Péraud at Crit. International too?

He's always been clueless (showboating on Touissuire and Peyragudes last year) so this isn't that surprising really...now he pobably wishes he had Wiggo to help after basically getting him fired from the TDF team. Wonder what will happen to him if he doesn't win the Tour...
 
Jun 29, 2009
127
0
0
Visit site
webvan said:
He's always been clueless (showboating on Touissuire and Peyragudes last year) so this isn't that surprising really...now he pobably wishes he had Wiggo to help after basically getting him fired from the TDF team. Wonder what will happen to him if he doesn't win the Tour...


then he'll win it next year