• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 58 57.4%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 23 22.8%

• Total voters
TANK91 said:
Come on Froome win on the Ventoux today to add to your legendry status, and wrap up the TDF early then make sure you put 1 min diff in the ITT and win GC by 5 min+ and you will be a legend GT rider.

its not about wining by huge time that makes a legend. That makes for a very dominating rider. For legendary status what is required is
win 3 TDFs or 4 Giros or 4 Vueltas or
win 5 GTs or
do 2 doubles or 1 triple
which is why Contador has already achieved legendary status and Froome has a long way to go.

LaFlorecita said:
TANK91 I must say your definition of the word "legend" seems a bit off. If Froome is a legend every gt winner is a legend (even Andy :eek:) We'll see if Froome's got it in him. Many people thought Alberto was going to challenge Armstrong's and Merckx's records a few years ago and look where he is now.

Alberto took a forced break and had to change his diet. If Froome keeps his bilharzia under control he can win many GTs.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
burning said:
Dawg is a living legend, he was showing his great climbing skills 4 years ago or giving his bike to a 3rd tier sprinter 3 years ago, now he's the best cyclist in the world.

This is exactly the definition of a legendary Dawg

Ease up fella. You clearly know your attitude to him won't improve no matter how many GTs he'd win... :)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I believe he will have a tough opponent - Quintana.Next year he can be on his climbing level and the year after he can be even better in climbing than Froome.Question is,what about TT...

movingtarget said:
It was a hard stage and he had enough time up his sleeve not to kill himself. But he does not need any further lapses in concentration. He should have noticed the danger straight away.

The main problem I think was that he did not have teammates in front of him when the split happened. Either as a result of complacency or their general lack of fitness.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
His only real opponent is Nibali. Maybe next year TDF will be more exciting.

Facepalm2_zpsb03eeb2a.jpg

wwabbit said:
The main problem I think was that he did not have teammates in front of him when the split happened. Either as a result of complacency or their general lack of fitness.

The main problem for the gap was he was not paying attention. He looks down a fair bit when he does not think it is a 'race on' situation. Likely won't make that mistake again.

Once gapped, it became a calculated gamble. Not much point burying yourself with the possibility of not getting back when a stage like today could allow for much better use of that energy.

airstream said:
I believe Froome. I don't state he could easily have jumped into Saxo group, but he prefered not to do it with an extreme effort and relied on the big group. Yeah, it was a mistake eventually. But if he doesn't lose the Tour, it is not worth criticizing him for that.

Not worth it? Wow, what a deluded f*cking fanboy.

That would be like saying it is not worth criticizing Lance for doping if he were not caught.

You can bet The Transfroomation and DB were criticizing that move quite heavily post stage.

Their old DS is sorely missed, as is their old road captain.

Ripper said:
Not worth it? Wow, what a deluded f*cking fanboy.

That would be like saying it is not worth criticizing Lance for doping if he were not caught.

You can bet The Transfroomation and DB were criticizing that move quite heavily post stage.

Their old DS is sorely missed, as is their old road captain.

First of all, grow up kid.

Froome has a lot to learn about racing tactics and you have a lot to learn about how to address people.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
Froome now actually has a realistic shot (imo) at being the first Tour de France winner to also win the mountains jersey in the same race, since Merckx in 1970 (unless I missed someone). Legend. :D

He won't do it.

Nieve or Rolland will win it. Both will go in the breaks on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I doubt Saturday's stage will go to Froome. There's a **** load of points on offer on those 3 days, and I see Rolland or Nieve in the break on 2 of those stages. Froome may get points on Alp d'Huez, but it won't be enough.