• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 683 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
It wasn't the same, firstable because salbutamol doesn't do a ****, second, one was proven innocent, the other not.
Funny enough, both are beta blockers and used to help the same things. Albuterol which is the generic name for the trade name Salbutamol actually does quite a bit like helping with gaining lean mass and losing fat mass or increasing your heart rate, especially in high doses. On top of helping you breathe during and after excretion.
As I’ve said before, both had the same lawyer, defense, innocent found, and findings but two different results. Same exact case. One was told even if an accident and they had no idea, they are responsible for everything entering their body while the other that accidents happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: FroomeWagon
Video for every young cyclist to study. Here a master explains some of his craft:

View: https://youtu.be/jjTmKvsU5xE

I bet most pros watch 2018 Sanremo at least once a week for inspiration. It massages the soul of a cyclist.

Maybe Froome kids even has a poster on their wall of Vincenzo crossing the line with arms raised.

not a poster of Vincenzo, but their father climbing in the Nibali bus....

And everybody showing their strengths and weaknesses on top of that.

Stating the obvious here, but:
  • Contador clearly peaked 2008 - 2011, with a second near peak in 2014, which meant he only really aligned with Froome in a head-to-head peak battle at the Vuelta, when both were coming off of injury but producing very strong climbing performances.
  • GT wise, clearly those two are above Nibali, who peaked at the same time as Froome.
  • Outside of GTs, Nibali clearly the strongest
  • Overall palmares, I would give it to Contador if you count his 9 but to Froome if you don't
  • Nibali obviously the most well-rounded

Stating the obvious here, but:
  • Contador clearly peaked 2008 - 2011, with a second near peak in 2014, which meant he only really aligned with Froome in a head-to-head peak battle at the Vuelta, when both were coming off of injury but producing very strong climbing performances.
  • GT wise, clearly those two are above Nibali, who peaked at the same time as Froome.
  • Outside of GTs, Nibali clearly the strongest
  • Overall palmares, I would give it to Contador if you count his 9 but to Froome if you don't
  • Nibali obviously the most well-rounded
I'd put it this way:

Froome needs the most work but responds best and returns the most.
Nibali needs the least directing and can call the shots on his own.
Contador would be the first pick on the draft and should be kept in that mindset.

There was still race left for something to happen but than you can’t ignore Astana withdrawing the whole team because of Vino with Klöden 5th and Kash 8th after stage 15. Things could have gotten crazy if they stayed in the race and Klöden was 9” behind Levi and put over a minute into him the first TT. That Tour had a lot of withdraws with Cofidis, Astana, and Rasmussen and Levi after the fact. Contador finished first at the end.

And Froome got that one like Andy and Scarponi. Andy is the only one that you could say would have won the race he was awarded if Contador wasn’t there. That’s why I dislike awarding to second in some cases as the race gets changed without the rider who won being present but we can’t have a do over.
the 2011 Vuelta win was to cover the 2012 Tour win Sky /Brad kept from him:D

Reactions: Sandisfan
imo Froome's Giro 2017 was his best win for me (because of how his Giro went, not because it was his most dominant performance, because it clearly wasn't).

it's a shame that they never went against each other at their peaks (except for Vuelta's 2014), but it is what it is.

both were excellent GC contenders, despite the shenanigans.
off the bicycle though, when it comes to communication, Nibali beats them fair and square.

Reactions: Sandisfan
imo Froome's Giro 2017 was his best win for me (because of how his Giro went, not because it was his most dominant performance, because it clearly wasn't).

it's a shame that they never went against each other at their peaks (except for Vuelta's 2014), but it is what it is.

both were excellent GC contenders, despite the shenanigans.
off the bicycle though, when it comes to communication, Nibali beats them fair and square.
Giro 2018.
Even on vuelta 2014 they weren't at their peaks.

The bilharzia story is I think more PR. But Froome's situation is simply tragic. I can't blame him for milking it.

But really if we are being objective we would agree his 2019 crash was unfortunate and very serious. It has cut his career short.

The other thing I believe is I think Froome was already in slow decline before his Dauphine crash. Froome's absolute peak was in 2013 when he was 28. 2018 Giro wasn't close to that level as he was very inconsistent and few expected his win on the Finestra. This is why with his advancing age a serious comeback is even less likely even without the crash effects. He is 36 years old now.

TRENDING THREADS