• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 770 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Is there about to be a sighting of the lesser-spotted Christopher Clive Froome?
As of nine hours ago on Israel Premier Tech's official twitter page he is still included in their seven-man squad for the Tour of Romandie.
However, no word from the man himself, which seems strange.
Are expectations so low he wants to keep his head down or has the form improved so much Froome is about to explode back onto the Word Tour?

Is there about to be a sighting of the lesser-spotted Christopher Clive Froome?
As of nine hours ago on Israel Premier Tech's official twitter page he is still included in their seven-man squad for the Tour of Romandie.
However, no word from the man himself, which seems strange.
Are expectations so low he wants to keep his head down or has the form improved so much Froome is about to explode back onto the Word Tour?
He confirmed on insta that he will do the tour romandie. He also had a knee injury in one of his training camps. That's why he didn't do the tour of alps.

There will be no hiding at today's opening 6.8km Prologue.
We will have an answer pretty soon regarding Froome's form.
Since his crash his TT performances have been horrible, cruelly exposing his lack of power.
I wish him well today, but I think fans have to be prepared for a let-down.

Froome went from beating Cavendish handily in TTs to getting beat by Cavendish handily in the TTs they’ve done post 2019.

He's at a 'pro' level. That's as much as he has in the tank. He can ride in the pro peloton & finish within time limits.

But he's got no power left in those legs. He's almost 38 in a few weeks so... things aren't going to get better.

He was arguably also 'better' in last year's short Romandie prologue for what it's worth (I checked). He was 42 seconds down & 119th out of 137. In 2021 he was 52 seconds down & 130th out of 140.

Notwithstanding Alpe D'Huez last year, I even think he was more consistently better placed for Ineos in 2020 than he has been for Israel since joining them.

There will be no hiding at today's opening 6.8km Prologue.
We will have an answer pretty soon regarding Froome's form.
Since his crash his TT performances have been horrible, cruelly exposing his lack of power.
I wish him well today, but I think fans have to be prepared for a let-down.
[/QUOTE
]
It is true, specially short ones, but last year at Romandie the climbing ITT was his best day. And, at the last Vuelta, when he was performing very bad after covid, his flat ITT was his best result.

Maybe he is just thinking to help the team or get a break and he wanst at his max (49 kph anyway, not easy)

He's at a 'pro' level. That's as much as he has in the tank. He can ride in the pro peloton & finish within time limits.

But he's got no power left in those legs. He's almost 38 in a few weeks so... things aren't going to get better.

He was arguably also 'better' in last year's short Romandie prologue for what it's worth (I checked). He was 42 seconds down & 119th out of 137. In 2021 he was 52 seconds down & 130th out of 140.

Notwithstanding Alpe D'Huez last year, I even think he was more consistently better placed for Ineos in 2020 than he has been for Israel since joining them.
Take into account he was almost starting season now. Ruanda is far, he was more or less training at Australia and Africa, but if you see Ayuso, my argument has not much sense...just is to compare with last year Romandie...he came after 2 Tours in a row.

Amyway, I see the video he put this winter about his new position at ITT, and the position of the picture he put on social media today, and he is far from that...

And as well is quite strange all the team did quite bad..nobody in the top 100...Froome wanst the worse, the leader of the team, just 3 second better than him (after Ardennes, that is true)

Last edited:
On the short pan flat prologue at yesterday's Tour de Romandie Froome averaged 49.5 km/h.
Here are some of his similar historical comparisons in short flat TT's :
2012 Criterium International - 51.7 km/h.
2013 Tirreno-Adriatico - 51.7 km/h.
2013 Romandie - 51.1 km/h.
2015 TdeF - 52.5 km/h.

Not exact comparisons I know, but at this elite WT level such a drop off will seriously damage results.
Froome fans had hoped with his talk of finally being pain/injury free and having 'got in the hard miles' plus an extended altitude training camp in Spain he would have performed much better.
There are, unfortunately, zero reasons for any optimism regarding the form of Chris Froome.

On the short pan flat prologue at yesterday's Tour de Romandie Froome averaged 49.5 km/h.
Here are some of his similar historical comparisons in short flat TT's :
2012 Criterium International - 51.7 km/h.
2013 Tirreno-Adriatico - 51.7 km/h.
2013 Romandie - 51.1 km/h.
2015 TdeF - 52.5 km/h.

Not exact comparisons I know, but at this elite WT level such a drop off will seriously damage results.
Froome fans had hoped with his talk of finally being pain/injury free and having 'got in the hard miles' plus an extended altitude training camp in Spain he would have performed much better.
There are, unfortunately, zero reasons for any optimism regarding the form of Chris Froome.

It's fair to say he's stuffed as a top level athlete. Over. Finished. La fin, as the French say. Aka this is the end (or was it 2019 already?).

Now he's just rolling around collecting a paycheck. This wouldn't be so bad in & of itself (although a former champ should know how to exit with 'dignity'), but the reason there's so much mockery going on & constant jibes is because Christopher Clive Froome is himself a literal... troll. Even yesterday on Eurosport the co-commentaor (no idea who he was) said he spoke to Froome a week or so ago & he was apparently still talking about 'his dream 5th TdF".

I mean either he's having a laugh (not cool for his employer), or he's serious & he needs... help.

Today at the Tour de Romandie Chris Froome was at the front of the peloton as they hit the Category 3 Col Mont d'Orzeires, a 2km climb at 5.5% 50km from the finish line.
Long before the peloton crested the top Froome was a lonely figure spat out of the back, continuing on his own, much to the incredulity of Eurosport pundit Nicolas Roche.
A minute earlier the commentator beside him said: "Chris Froome. Good to see him riding well still. A good bit of positioning play for him."
I don't know how a professional cycling broadcaster thinks he is "riding well still" and moments later the camera picked out the isolated figure of Froome, detached from the main group.
"I didn't think he would be dropped on his own though. I thought if he were to get dropped it would be with a group," said Roche.

This thread is like Elvis sightings.. Froome needs to be in a car not on a bicycle. All the new school " training camps" can't replace race days in the pro peloton. And all the timed climbs in the world mean nothing unless your competitors ride w respect for your limits. If Froome has form show it.. If he is peaking for something, cool but it looks more like sinking instead of soaring.. Go race gravel already

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS