• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 829 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
“It would have been really interesting to have raced against them in my best years" - Chris Froome confident he could have challenged Pogacar & Vingegaard for Tour de France

Thank you, my faith in this lying, delusional clown has been restored.

For a minute there it almost seemed as if he was approaching being honest and candid about...well, something. Anything. Clearly that wasn't gonna last more than a few seconds. Wonder if they caught him when he was drunk for the original "I'm not gonna challenge for the Tour anymore" comments...

Thank you, my faith in this lying, delusional clown has been restored.

For a minute there it almost seemed as if he was approaching being honest and candid about...well, something. Anything. Clearly that wasn't gonna last more than a few seconds. Wonder if they caught him when he was drunk for the original "I'm not gonna challenge for the Tour anymore" comments...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G60z48yymVs

• Haha
Reactions: Stasat
Yeah, he was struggling in the 3rd week after a rather controlled racing. Vingegaard would literally destroy him
Not sure. Cycling has changed and they go quickly, but Froome was a destroyer. Of course he would have been fighteen with them. When I talkef with an IPT director they told me if he come back he doesnt fear Pogacar. Vingegard is a super rider for 3 weeks but who knows.

"very very difficult", which means still within reach, sounds like he thinks he's at Remco's level now.
He needs to be at Pereiro level and be luck, so for me is not imposible, but he should improve the level he had at 2022 Tour. He has been at one minute of Vingegaard at a long stage with a Broken wrist, far of his best shape, so who knows. But he needs races for that.

Last edited:

Thomas was third of Tour de France 2 years ago, and was close to win Giro at Roglic last year. It wanst his best level ever, but of course maybe close. And best Froome ever id better than best Thomas ever, even when Thomas won le Tour. Thomas was a domestique for Froome. So of course is ridiculous to say for. sure he wanst at the level of this people. I think he would be better than Pogacar at hard mountain stages, with long climbs ( always with hot weather for Froome, of course) and similar to Vingegard. But Vingegaard level for le Tour is one of the best of history, so It wouldbt be easy.

Reactions: Sandisfan
When he struggled at the third week? I think Vingegaard is better, but no very different.
In 2013 he needed Porte to get him a gel or something, while losing 1 minute to Quintana and Purito on AdH. In the next mountain stage he lost 30 more seconds. And no, he didn't ride "conservatively" he gave it a go and he was weaker.

In 2015 Froome nearly lost the Tour to Quintana, losing 2 minutes again

Yeah, Froome was very strong in the first MTF, destroying the peloton and gaining a minute+ on Quintana, but this version of Vingegaard doesn't bleed a minute on anybody in the last 15 (maybe even more) years.

He needs to be at Pereiro level and be luck, so for me is not imposible, but he should improve the level he had at 2022 Tour. He has been at one minute of Vingegaard at a long stage with a Broken wrist, far of his best shape, so who knows. But he needs races for that.
Except he’d need a 1+ hr breakaway win and hope the rest OTL.

Thomas was third of Tour de France 2 years ago, and was close to win Giro at Roglic last year. It wanst his best level ever, but of course maybe close. And best Froome ever id better than best Thomas ever, even when Thomas won le Tour. Thomas was a domestique for Froome. So of course is ridiculous to say for. sure he wanst at the level of this people. I think he would be better than Pogacar at hard mountain stages, with long climbs ( always with hot weather for Froome, of course) and similar to Vingegard. But Vingegaard level for le Tour is one of the best of history, so It wouldbt be easy.
Thomas won his Tour without breaking a sweat and looked dominate throughout the whole experience. He and Sky just rode to help get Froome on the podium. Thomas has always looked to have improved his 2018 shape. If Froome was still on Ineos, he wouldn’t even be the domestique for Thomas due to not riding any GT, maybe not even any race.

Except he’d need a 1+ hr breakaway win and hope the rest OTL.

Thomas won his Tour without breaking a sweat and looked dominate throughout the whole experience. He and Sky just rode to help get Froome on the podium. Thomas has always looked to have improved his 2018 shape. If Froome was still on Ineos, he wouldn’t even be the domestique for Thomas due to not riding any GT, maybe not even any race.
It is what you think....
You can be very similar at 40 than at 30, but always a litttle bit better at 30. I mean, if Horner would hahve had a normal career, he would have been to win le Tour, or close, at 30, he got his best at 38 so he just could won la Vuelta, which is the race better suits him.
I think best Thomas for GT is the rider who won le Tour, he was lucky to be in the best team with another team mate on the fight.

Thomas has the merit he has readapted to the new era and change his habits, especially nutrition. SKY was the best in all of that but now everything has improved and SKY methods are old now and no so competitive, but I dont think he is better for that, it is better compared his generation who didnt readapt. everybody is getting his best numbers now., even people who was podium and now is 10th.

But if you consider Thomas has improved...Froome could improve as well, couldnt he?

Wow. No wonder mou is not here posting anymore. Froome knows that Pogacar is not a threat to him in 3 weeks race
Pogacar is the best rider I ever been ride. it woudl be more favourite than Froome. But Froome is more a kind of rider as Vingegard. If the race has 2 long stages with long climbs it would have had his options. But in other kind of stages Pogacar is better, it is a monster. But Froome at his age and with thar crash is not going to come back at his best level. Or it is almost impossible. But he could reach an step worse and figh for something nice.

He has improved. He’s not OTL or finishing dead last as often anymore.

8mnr5k.jpg