• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 834 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 59 57.3%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 23 22.3%

• Total voters
Woods is just an ex-runner while Froomie is a Tour great. He's had 2 years of hard miles since his previous Tour, we'll witness a monster in July!

Peak Froome was a runner, too
_90391028_chris_froome_ap2.jpg

I'd like him to finish one final Tour, after he had to leave the race 2 years ago while being in a decent shape. It probably should have been last year though.

In fact Woods was the only good from the team last year, but maybe he expected more from him. For me if Woods ok after his Crash he should be on le Tour. But if Froome finish quite well Dauphine he should be as well. But Woods desnt have races on his program, to go to le Tour after a Crash no riding a race before IS not good.

I don't think anybody argues that he shouldn't go if he was in decent shape to ride it. He'd have to surprise massively though, given the results so far, in the Dauphine to justify going as team leader. As of now it's unclear if he's in any shape to ride the Tour at all. His last result he barely made it in the Top 50 finishers in a Race with less than 100 starters.

Loads of good riders in this team. Steve William, Corbin Strong, Kris Nielands, George Bennet, Dylan Theuns, Derrick Gee, Riley Sheehan, Joseph blackmore, Michael Woods.

I don't mind froome continuing to ride as a pro but it would be nice for these riders to get their chances in the big races.
I don't think I've ever seen you spell so many names correctly (or at least close to correctly) in one post.

I'm not sure if I'm impressed or disappointed.

Memes aside is Froome doing nothing in the Tour really still a relevant factor from a commercial standpoint? IPT went down that route in 2021 and I felt he was largely ignored by the coverage and media. 2022 was a bit different because he was actually relevant in 2-3 stages (or mainly on d'Huez).
So while I could see a sponsor pushing for a big name rather than an irrelevant top 5-10 finish I'm not convinced if that logic really still applies to Froome in his current form.

Memes aside is Froome doing nothing in the Tour really still a relevant factor from a commercial standpoint? IPT went down that route in 2021 and I felt he was largely ignored by the coverage and media. 2022 was a bit different because he was actually relevant in 2-3 stages (or mainly on d'Huez).
So while I could see a sponsor pushing for a big name rather than an irrelevant top 5-10 finish I'm not convinced if that logic really still applies to Froome in his current form.
What do you mean Froome was a non-factor in 2021? I still remember his iconic GC battle with Cavendish even now, and I hope for a rematch this year

They would have a better shot at GC with Joseph Blackmore than Froome or even Woods, tbh.

Best strategy is to hunt a few stages with Williams and Clark, maybe Teuns and Woods.
Blackmore could put lot of time on gravel or in strade Bianche or in Tour de Flandes, in any classic or medium mountain stage, at Tour of Rwanda 8considereing booth at the same shape), but not at le Tour..Froome is old and he is not the same that won that Giro, but he is still much better than Black more for le Tour than Blanckmore. With Woods comparision is different, except Froome recover a level close to his best....

Maybe in one year we copuld say Blascmore is better for le Tour than Froome, but no now. Blacmore would be better than froome at today stage of Dauphine, that is for sure, but that doenst mean anything for le Tour.

Blackmore could put lot of time on gravel or in strade Bianche or in Tour de Flandes, in any classic or medium mountain stage, at Tour of Rwanda 8considereing booth at the same shape), but not at le Tour..Froome is old and he is not the same that won that Giro, but he is still much better than Black more for le Tour than Blanckmore. With Woods comparision is different, except Froome recover a level close to his best....

Maybe in one year we copuld say Blascmore is better for le Tour than Froome, but no now. Blacmore would be better than froome at today stage of Dauphine, that is for sure, but that doenst mean anything for le Tour.
Are we (and his team) really disussing sending Froome (or any IPT rider) there to go for GC?

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Blackmore might have it in him to win a medium mountain stage if he was building up to it properly with altitude, but he's only been doing road cycling for about 18 months so they wouldn't launch him into the tour, similar vibe with Sheehan though he's been about longer. They should send them to the Vuelta though, Riccitello too, tell them to just ride about with no pressure, it's not like ISN have much else going on at the moment.

Reactions: Bolder
People in this thread are being odd. Suggesting Blackmore or Sheehan ride the TDF when they are neo pros who have never ridden a WT stage.

As for the L'equipe article, it makes no sense. It is talking as if Woods was a GC contender demanding full support (like Gaudu) when he is just a very good stage hunter who gets little help from teammates across a grand tour. I doubt Woods even cares who else is on the team at all.

Froome was clearly left off because he had poor form and similar will happen this year. He needs a perfect run of races to get in to any level of form that could have an impact like in 2022. This has not happened in 2023/2024 so he won't bee going.

IPT will probably take Williams, Teuns, Gee, Fuglsang (if he climbs at a reasonable level this week which he probably will), Bennett, Neilands. The last two will be Ackermann if he sprints well in Belgium and then one guy to help with any leadouts. Riccitello probably does Vuelta GC.