• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
RHRH19861986 said:
Froome does neither Catalunya nor Pais Vasco, that´s strange for someone who wants to win the Tour. Does he just ride Romandie and Dauphine before July?

SKY have several leaders, so all of them have his oportunity and they share out the races, but anyway is likely Froome to be in Liege, as well as Wiggins, but helping Urán, Henao and Tiernan Locke (maybe this one just in Fleche), the leaders there... or maybe five leaders and the road will chose.

Froome is doing the same that Wiggins last year and it worked, so...why not? what is going to do Contador or Andy? Evans say he is better with two grand Tours in his legs, so he'll ride the Giro...Valverde and Purito have diferent fisiology...

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
SKY have several leaders, so all of them have his oportunity and they share out the races, but anyway is likely Froome to be in Liege, as well as Wiggins, but helping Urán, Henao and Tiernan Locke (maybe this one just in Fleche), the leaders there... or maybe five leaders and the road will chose.

Froome is doing the same that Wiggins last year and it worked, so...why not? what is going to do Contador or Andy? Evans say he is better with two grand Tours in his legs, so he'll ride the Giro...Valverde and Purito have diferent fisiology...

OK, but Wiggina did Catalunya in 2012 (abandoned, however, if I´m right).

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
I'm now thinking that the Froomebot could have done a pantani and won both the Giro and Tour this year.

He is a class above...

dude. never compare him with pantani again. you clealry never saw him ride. pantani destroyed his opponents in the mountains. guys like kiserlovski, spilak and wyss could've never followed him

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
dude. never compare him with pantani again. you clealry never saw him ride. pantani destroyed his opponents in the mountains. guys like kiserlovski, spilak and wyss could've never followed him

lol. He was the the last person to do it, hence the reference.

Froome is stronger this year and unless Contador has a significant turnaround there is little competition for him.

If you are comparing Pantani and Vroome then why not acknowledge that the latter would have destroyed Marco in the TT?:D

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm now thinking that the Froomebot could have done a pantani and won both the Giro and Tour this year.

He is a class above...

I don't think the team promoting clean cycling will try to do that.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
I don't think the team promoting clean cycling will try to do that.

I should be clear when I say doing a Pantani, meaning winning both Giro and Tour in same year. Not anything more suspect.

Also, if Wiggins gets a sniff at yellow then he will happily attempt the double

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I should be clear when I say doing a Pantani, meaning winning both Giro and Tour in same year. Not anything more suspect.

It was a different story. Pantani sort of had to start the Giro like Italian who adored his home race. The Tour was like bonus for him. Froome hypothetically can start the Giro only in case he would get enough Tour wins which is a big question and a matter of not nearest future. Nowdays Tour oriented GT riders very rarely start the Giro voluntarily. It is my thought.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you are comparing Pantani and Vroome then why not acknowledge that the latter would have destroyed Marco in the TT?:D

When Pantani really was in shape, he wasn´t destroyed in ITTs, not even in long, pancake flat ITTs.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
It was a different story. Pantani sort of had to start the Giro like Italian who adored his home race. The Tour was like bonus for him. Froome hypothetically can start the Giro only in case he would get enough Tour wins which is a big question and a matter of not nearest future. Nowdays Tour oriented GT riders very rarely start the Giro voluntarily. It is my thought.

I agree with you. It would not have been smart to jeopardise his likely Tour win for the sake of the Giro. That said I still think he could have done it.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
When Pantani really was in shape, he wasn´t destroyed in ITTs, not even in long, pancake flat ITTs.

I was countering the argument that Pantani would have destroyed Froome in the mountains. He was better no doubt, but the margin would not have been as spectacular as Ryo Hazuki Implied:)

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I was countering the argument that Pantani would have destroyed Froome in the mountains. He was better no doubt, but the margin would not have been as spectacular as Ryo Hazuki Implied:)

Hard to say, and to compare. Pantani, on a good day in the mountains, was really spectacular, and not literally, but also in fact a whole class above the remaining world class (!) opponents.

Froome and Pantani are actually 180 degrees different. Pantani was pure passion, Froome is just boredom.

I dont think both of the can. Froome tried last year. He was destroyed. In terms of talent both of them are much below Pantani. It would be very difficult to sustain marginal gains over 3 months without talent.

TRENDING THREADS