• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It almost seems like Wiggins is campaigning for leadership at the Tour. Talking up his goal being Giro-Tour, saying that ideally they will both arrive ready to lead, continuing to whine about what Froome did last Tour, etc. Glad to see Froome is fighting back and restating that he is the more deserving of Tour leadership.

I foresee more controversy as we get closer to the Tour. :D

I think Wiggins has just upped the ante on Froome and TDF. Quite a big piece on him on mainstream BBC TV News, after which 99% of the viewers will expect Brad to be top man come July. Giro and Froome got a mention but to the casual fan in England they mean nothing. Over to you Froomey. It's increasingly looking likely that the only thing that will stop Froome in TDF is a split team.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
I think Wiggins has just upped the ante on Froome and TDF. Quite a big piece on him on mainstream BBC TV News, after which 99% of the viewers will expect Brad to be top man come July. Giro and Froome got a mention but to the casual fan in England they mean nothing. Over to you Froomey. It's increasingly looking likely that the only thing that will stop Froome in TDF is a split team.

+1
I think it's going to be quite complicated if Wiggin win the Giro. That means he'll be on the road of making a history again for great britain by being the first Brit and first modern era cyclist who can do Giro/Tour double after Pantani. What does that mean for Froome? He gotta be on leash again like last year. The idea of having the first brit to conquer Giro/Tour double is bigger than just handing off Froome a leadership. We saw last year how they wanted to make sure that wiggin won the Tour. Maybe Froomey should start prayin' that wiggin won't win the Giro.:D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
Wiggins' approach certainly seems more reasonable, besides he's the reigning champion. Froome should relax a bit and let the road decide, it's not like he had to bury himself for Wiggo much in the TDF last year...3 kms on Toussuire, that's it, so Wiggo can certainly do the same if need be.

But Froomey doesn't seem that he is sure he'll be the leader. If you listen to his interview he has been telling people that he is the leader for TDF. But looks like that's not what Wiggin thinks and according to Wiggin that's not what sky thinks. So maybe Froomey feels a little bit desperate to proof that he is the leader? (who knows) He's been smashing every race that he enters as if he wants to show that he is 'the strongest guy' in the team. Last year is different than this year. Too many good climber will contest TDF. Some one gotta be sacrificed for the other I guess.

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Jelantik said:
+1
I think it's going to be quite complicated if Wiggin win the Giro. That means he'll be on the road of making a history again for great britain by being the first Brit and first modern era cyclist who can do Giro/Tour double after Pantani. What does that mean for Froome? He gotta be on leash again like last year. The idea of having the first brit to conquer Giro/Tour double is bigger than just handing off Froome a leadership. We saw last year how they wanted to make sure that wiggin won the Tour. Maybe Froomey should start prayin' that wiggin won't win the Giro.:D

lol, cross finger.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
If the Knight wins the Giro (and I'd say he's got 90% chance to do so) he'll be unstoppable, and Little Froomey Dog should be prepared to babysit him through the mountains again and again.

Soooooooooo amusing :D

Say what? Unless the Giro is a promenade over the mountains and includes 3 long mostly flat TTs, Wiggins doesn't have a chance.

And Froome is a much better climber. Wiggins will make a good pacesetter though until the fireworks start and there's no one around to drag his tired *** up the mountain.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
"The best-case scenario at this stage is I win the Giro, I come out of it, stay healthy, we do all the training camps that we do in between the Giro and the Tour," Wiggins told AFP. "Chris's preparations continue as they are, he ends up winning the Dauphine and we both arrive at the Tour ready to go in the best possible (shape). And Dave's (Brailsford) got to make a call, somewhere there, as to who is the leader.

He automatically assumes that Froome wins Dauphine. That confidence is on borderline with arrogance.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Does the claw start coming out? me like it:p.. looks juicy comes in July.:D

Froome fights back with his own statement. He claims that he is the tour leader.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/news/froome-i-will-lead-sky-at-the-tour_284164

Hm, makes me wonder.. so last year was more something that what sky made it appear. Froome showboating didn't seem to sit well with sir wiggo. Ay, ay.. i hope Andy got his form back so at least one of those two sky boys will end out out of podium! (gezz.. never been rooting for andy this hard before)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Delicato said:
He automatically assumes that Froome wins Dauphine. That confidence is on borderline with arrogance.

doesn't that make you want to hope that Bertie can give Froome the fight that he deserves? Otherwise sky's arrogance is going to happen.:D Wiggin makes him sound like he is now a better climber than the likes of Bertie, Andy and Purito. Quiet a confidence I guess

ferryman said:

Shades of Hinault, Lemond and La Vie Claire at the 86 Tour again.

Teams can't simply have two stars with the same ambitions. One always ends up getting skrewed.

It does sound like a Wiggins has some good numbers going for him and is saying that he's climbing better this year, especially when it's very steep. If he shows that in the Giro and isn't exhausted when it's done, Froome's showboating in the press isn't going to help. They will be coleaders, the least a reigning champion can be, and the road will decide. Sky and Wiggins haven't forgotten 2011 when they lost everything in an instant. With a second leader they would have survived. And when Froome lost 1' last year even though Porte helped him?

Froome trying to edge out Wiggo from the team is ridiculous and insulting to everyone's intelligence, it makes no sense for Sky to pass on Wiggo if he's up for it. Besides he's not asking for full leadership...for now ;-)

webvan said:
It does sound like a Wiggins has some good numbers going for him and is saying that he's climbing better this year, especially when it's very steep. If he shows that in the Giro and isn't exhausted when it's done, Froome's showboating in the press isn't going to help. They will be coleaders, the least a reigning champion can be, and the road will decide. Sky and Wiggins haven't forgotten 2011 when they lost everything in an instant. With a second leader they would have survived. And when Froome lost 1' last year even though Porte helped him?

Froome trying to edge out Wiggo from the team is ridiculous and insulting to everyone's intelligence, it makes no sense for Sky to pass on Wiggo if he's up for it. Besides he's not asking for full leadership...for now ;-)

The worry for Froome is that it's actually quite likely that Wiggo will be in yellow after the Saint-Michel time trial on stage 11. That changes the dynamic a lot. To avoid this happening Froome needs to go all out and bury Wiggins on Ax3 Domaines (stage 8). There's a very steep section about 5km from the summit and the climb comes after the very hard Col de Pailhères. Trouble is I'm not sure Froomey can make enough of a gap in those 5km on Wiggins to ensure he won't then lose the jersey to Wiggo in the time trial. Should be fascinating. :D

Sure, I understand why Froome's going ballistic right now, but what is he going to achieve with this? He won't get Sky to knock out Wiggo of the team, right? An unproven GT racer (Vuelta 2012 fail, yeah he was tired but still...) vs a TDF winner and national hero? He should just sit it out and see what happens. Best case scenario for him is a Vuelta 2011 where Wiggo cracks and then goes all out for him...without the showboating.

Wiggo won't pull a 1986 Bernie though when he went on this kamikaze attack when he had a 5+ minute lead in the GC, so if Wiggo doesn't crack, well Froome will not be allowed to attack him, only to accompany Bertie/Quintana/Andy if/when they attack and they certainly will! Again, Froome should just cool off, he won't achieve anything with that type of PR.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Tour will be overly spectacular. Froome tried to attack in the Vuelta while being in a bad form. God only know how harshly he'll press anyone being fresh in the Tour. Rodriguez will be very strong no doubt. For Contador multiple attacks is the only key to victory too. Andy should be ready as well. + Sir Bradley Wiggins! All who thinks that Wiggins is not cycling, I don't envy you... :) :D At least since 2006 I had no such anticipation prior the Tour.

JRanton said:
The worry for Froome is that it's actually quite likely that Wiggo will be in yellow after the Saint-Michel time trial on stage 11. That changes the dynamic a lot. To avoid this happening Froome needs to go all out and bury Wiggins on Ax3 Domaines (stage 8). There's a very steep section about 5km from the summit and the climb comes after the very hard Col de Pailhères. Trouble is I'm not sure Froomey can make enough of a gap in those 5km on Wiggins to ensure he won't then lose the jersey to Wiggo in the time trial. Should be fascinating. :D

That's all provided that Contador or a Shleck isn't back to top form.

You guys sound as if Sky just has to show up and the Yellow Jersey is their's by right. :rolleyes:

webvan said:
Sure, I understand why Froome's going ballistic right now, but what is he going to achieve with this? He won't get Sky to knock out Wiggo of the team, right? An unproven GT racer (Vuelta 2012 fail, yeah he was tired but still...) vs a TDF winner and national hero? He should just sit it out and see what happens. Best case scenario for him is a Vuelta 2011 where Wiggo cracks and then goes all out for him...without the showboating.

Wiggo won't pull a 1986 Bernie though when he went on this kamikaze attack when he had a 5+ minute lead in the GC
, so if Wiggo doesn't crack, well Froome will not be allowed to attack him, only to accompany Bertie/Quintana/Andy if/when they attack and they certainly will! Again, Froome should just cool off, he won't achieve anything with that type of PR.

That was a different era. Otherwise, the comparison is quite apposite.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
rhubroma said:

You guys sound as if Sky just has to show up and the Yellow Jersey is their's by right. :rolleyes:

Objectively, Froome and Wiggins are 2 strongest GT riders for today

this on-going saga can only be a good thing for the cycling fan, it's like the it's Bold&theBeautiful on wheels.

i think as much as froome would like it, he's not british like wiggo is british, he's faux-british like KP and due to this he will be tossed aside like yesterday's news if wiggo wins the giro and decides he wants to win the TDF as well. chris whooome?

because the "giro/TDF double" attempt by "sir wiggo" will be a team manger's wet dream.

it will definitely add something to the pre-TDF build up.

(all predicated on wiggins winning the giro of course)

:D

rhubroma said:

Do you see any evidence of Contador or Schleck being on form in 2 months time? Contador admits being tired and has got worse as the season has gone on. Schleck has admittedly gone the other way, but 10 days ago people were celebrating him merely finishing Fleche and Liege, albeit ahead of Contador in the latter.

It's one hell of a jump from finishing a few classics in a calendar year to putting in a serious challenge for yellow. If Schleck is on top form he might win a mountainous stage having been let go for being 10 mins down on GC. But that doesn't mean Froome won't be far behind.

webvan said:

Wiggo won't pull a 1986 Bernie though when he went on this kamikaze attack when he had a 5+ minute lead in the GC, so if Wiggo doesn't crack, well Froome will not be allowed to attack him, only to accompany Bertie/Quintana/Andy if/when they attack and they certainly will! Again, Froome should just cool off, he won't achieve anything with that type of PR.

You're right that others attacking gives Froome the perfect opportunity to leave Wiggins (in yellow) behind. But what if Wiggo is strong enough to respond to those attacks, maybe even Porte is strong enough to pace him back to them? Then Froome is faced with having to attack Wiggins, national hero, in order to win the Tour. Even if he's successful which he probably would be, it's not exactly an ideal scenario for him is it? It might have to happen on Alpe d'Huez with the Knight and national hero only three stages away from potentially making history with a Giro-Tour double. That would go down like a led balloon! That's what Froome's afraid of! He doesn't want Wiggins to create that narrative before the race in the general public's hearts and minds. Hence the statement.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Does the claw start coming out? me like it:p.. looks juicy comes in July.:D

Froome fights back with his own statement. He claims that he is the tour leader.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/news/froome-i-will-lead-sky-at-the-tour_284164

Hm, makes me wonder.. so last year was more something that what sky made it appear. Froome showboating didn't seem to sit well with sir wiggo. Ay, ay.. i hope Andy got his form back so at least one of those two sky boys will end out out of podium! (gezz.. never been rooting for andy this hard before)

Interesting that Sir Brad now calls ovalized-rings stupid...wasn't he the one who always implied that there rings are part of his road success?

General impression on Wiggins is that he tends to change his opinions rather quickly, not forgetting to bash his own old beliefs and sympathies afterwards. Harum-scarum fellow.

Delicato said:
Interesting that Sir Brad now calls ovalized-rings stupid...wasn't he the one who always implied that there rings are part of his road success?

What does that have to do with anything discussed here ?!

JRanton said:
You're right that others attacking gives Froome the perfect opportunity to leave Wiggins (in yellow) behind. But what if Wiggo is strong enough to respond to those attacks, maybe even Porte is strong enough to pace him back to them? Then Froome is faced with having to attack Wiggins, national hero, in order to win the Tour. Even if he's successful which he probably would be, it's not exactly an ideal scenario for him is it? It might have to happen on Alpe d'Huez with the Knight and national hero only three stages away from potentially making history with a Giro-Tour double. That would go down like a led balloon! That's what Froome's afraid of! He doesn't want Wiggins to create that narrative before the race in the general public's minds, hence the statement.

Dunno, cycling likes things to be a bit more low-key so he's not doing himself any favors with that, on top of not achieving anything useful internally anyway. Exactly like the Toussuire and Peyragudes showboating, he's a wild one for sure!

TRENDING THREADS