• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
webvan said:
That chick needs to take a pill!

Of course, that's the way it should be, only Froome and his airhead GF think it doesn't make sense, it's the complete opposite actually to anyone who knows anything about cycling...but of course as JRanton pointed out, if Wiggo is in yellow after the first ITT it's going to make life difficult for Froome.

Yes, like last year, when both were protected as well and some teammates waited for Froome on that first stage. Oh no wait, that didn't happen since nobody cared :rolleyes:

Sophistic82 said:
Wiggins won last year so he should be the leader if he wants to go for yellow.
And based on what are people assuming that Froome is stronger than Wiggins?Because of these short accellerations last year?

Froome's results so far this season in stage races:
1st Tour of Oman
2nd Tirreno Adriatico
1st Criterium International
1st Tour of Romandie

Wiggin's results so far this season in stage races:
5th Volta a Catalunya
5th Giro del Trentino

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
wwabbit said:
Froome's results so far this season in stage races:
1st Tour of Oman
2nd Tirreno Adriatico
1st Criterium International
1st Tour of Romandie

Wiggin's results so far this season in stage races:
5th Volta a Catalunya
5th Giro del Trentino

and Saxo will ride for Kreuziger and not Contador

Flamin said:
Yes, like last year, when both were protected as well and some teammates waited for Froome on that first stage. Oh no wait, that didn't happen since nobody cared :rolleyes:

Wrong, Porte waited for him and BW only had EBH and Rogers left with EBH going for the win (finished 2nd) so they couldn't have done much more.

That's why it's a must to have two leaders in case something happens to one of them and losing 1 minute is not the worst as Sky found in 2011...

May 25, 2009
Visit site
It's not surprising Wiggins hasn't won anything when you realise he hasn't actually ridden a race with an ITT in it. He's really not been playing to his strengths.

webvan said:
Can't see anything wrong with what Wiggins is saying ? He's just saying that if everything goes to plan they'll go in the TDF with two leaders (who wouldn't with the current TOP 2 GT riders in the world ?!) and let the road decide.

That in itself is wrong considering last year Wiggins was crying about how teams aren't supposed to have more than 1 leader and therefore froome would have to play domestique.

He was perfectly fine with the arrangment that on a harder 2013 parcors froome would get his turn, back when all he wanted was to win the 2012 tour. Now that that moment has come and gone, oh, surprise, suddenly Wiggins is not so eager to repay froome.

For all his faults, it's clear that here, froome who has remained humble, taken shirlt unfairly in the press and kept his mouth shut is the good guy, and Wiggins, not for the first-time, is behaving like a total prat.

And only intense fanboyism and nationalism can skew someone to see Wiggins as anything but an ******* in his behaviour.

JRanton said:
Don't be fooled, they're as thick as thieves those two. Froome is hugely ambitious, probably even more so than his missus.

I donot think Sky in any way want negative publicity with their two top stars going at each other in the media. By now they have enough data to prove which of the two is better in mountains and TTs. The hierarchy is already fixed. No reaction from Sky management on this topic means that they are not worried. I believe that this is a media stunt in order to lull Nibali into complacency that Wiggins is concentrating on the TDF and therefore will not go all out in the Giro. Also they are going to exploit this apparent rift in the TDF. We saw that in the Criterium International where Froome won over Porte. Froome will attack and Wiggins leave a gap and suck wheels.

spalco said:
If I'm Froome and Wiggins gets the team's support just for being ahead a couple seconds at some arbitrary cut-off point, I would **** **** up in the race and switch teams ASAP. He deserves this. Wiggins chose the Giro, if he'd said after the Tour 2012 "I'm going to repeat the win in 2013", that would have been the end of the discussion, but he didn't. He made his choice and if he's not able to live with it now, he can't expect Froome to play nice.

Wiggins didnt make the choice after the tour. What you are saying is that someone like froome, in the form of his life, which wont last for ever, is voluntarily going to waste their season serving wiggins in whatever race wiggins wants to win.

Thats not how life works. Nothing comes free. Sky made it clear Froome was promised the 2013 tour. That was his reward for being superdomestique in a TDF he was the strongest, and for essentially wasting his peak for the season - (with which he could have won the giro or the vuelta) on serving wiggins.

Wiggins was asked before the tour- do you want to win the Tour with Froome - best climber in the world, pacing you up every single climb and being your total ***** for 3 weeks, or do you want to try and win it without him.

If yes, then youll have to let him be leader for the 2013 tour.

Looked like a very attractive proposition with london 2012 around the corner and the chance to be a "hero" and to open the ceremony and all that.

The Hitch said:
Wiggins didnt make the choice after the tour. What you are saying is that someone like froome, in the form of his life, which wont last for ever, is voluntarily going to waste their season serving wiggins in whatever race wiggins wants to win.

Well, no, quite the contrary, you totally misunderstood. I think we're actually agreeing with each other.

What I said (and meant) was that if Wiggins had said after the Tour last year, that he wants to win it again the next year, everything would have been clear, and Froome could have prepared his 2013 season accordingly (probably targetting the Giro himself). But that didn't happen, and now Wiggins wants to move the goalposts in the middle of the season, completely screwing Froome over in the process.

eta: it's true that promises were made to Froome regarding 2013 and the Tour de France, but he had to know that wasn't set in stone. But after planning out the 2013 season, it definitely should have been. Froome did waste the 2012 season if you look at it that way, but being allowed to race the Giro as a leader, plus maybe the Vuelta should have been an acceptable payoff to him imo.

spalco said:
Well, no, quite the contrary, you totally misunderstood. I think we're actually agreeing with each other.

What I said (and meant) was that if Wiggins had said after the Tour last year, that he wants to win it again the next year, everything would have been clear, and Froome could have prepared his 2013 season accordingly (probably targetting the Giro himself).

Well, and I see from your edit that you understand why, Froome would not in a million years accept that deal and peak for the giro.

If someone hires you to do a job, you spend a month working your *** of to do it, and after you finish it they say- actually were not going to pay you the 10 grand we promised you, but heres a couple of vouchers to macdonalds to cheer you up, well your not going to take that sitting down are you;)

I think the issue stems from the fact that Wiggins, on some kind of winning high right after the TDF, said he would help Froome win the TDF and ride for him.

Now, he is saying, the racing will determine it. Which isn't exactly incorrect. Froome might crash out or something, who knows, and the first week the last 5-7 years has been a complete crashfest and disaster for some riders. Froome isn't immune.

So in that respect, although Wiggins might say he will support him, it really will take at least the first week of racing and get everyone through safely to then say, hey, Froome is the leader.

I must say, Froome has been very vocal and started this whole thing as of late proclaiming he is the TDF leader this year. Then Wiggins makes a statement, and now Froome is releasing more stuff saying he is....

But, sorry to say about Froome. I think he is just trying to garner public support with these statements in the media. Because the people that really decide, team management, haven't said a single word as to who the leader is. They will say and determine the leader, not Froome. If Froome isn't the leader, what is he going to do? Not race hard? Quit? Yeah, good luck finding a new job not working with other people in the cycling biz.

So at this point, Froome might just be full of crap and trying to manipulate a team leader role in the media/press/public.

The Hitch said:
Well, and I see from your edit that you understand why, Froome would not in a million years accept that deal and peak for the giro.

If someone hires you to do a job, you spend a month working your *** of to do it, and after you finish it they say- actually were not going to pay you the 10 grand we promised you, but heres a couple of vouchers to macdonalds to cheer you up, well your not going to take that sitting down are you;)

True, and I understand your point.

However, what's happening now, or may happen now, is even worse, because Sky is on the verge of completely ****ing up Froome's 2013 season as well, which was unneccesary any way you put it.

webvan said:
Wrong, Porte waited for him and BW only had EBH and Rogers left with EBH going for the win (finished 2nd) so they couldn't have done much more.

That's why it's a must to have two leaders in case something happens to one of them and losing 1 minute is not the worst as Sky found in 2011...

iirc Siutsou and Eisel were still there too.

Anyway, it doesn't matter much. The point is that Sky clearly had only one designated leader last year, so I don't see why 'it doesn't make sense' to have only one this year again.

Well, talking about this season I doubt Froome wouln't have accepted a leader role only in the giro. I mean, just look at the parcours. Froome actually could win 5 or 6 stages easily while making the Patani-Show, Il piccolo principe, Robo-Basso and Grandissimo-Emanuele nearly forgotten.

Froome has a decent enough sprint to win uphill finishes out of a favourite group. Especially against comeptitors like Nibali, Hesjedal and older/weaker Delfino/ Sanchez/ Scarponi. He would be cleary the strongest rider in the tt's, but he has also become a top level climber and he has some explosiveness in favour of Nibali&co to attack them in the mountains and win solo.

So if Wiggings would've decided early on to defend his yellow jersey and wouldn't have been frightened of coming back Contador, like a little baby. Of course Froome would've accepted his new role to rock the giro. And it's not that Wiggings didn't had the opportunity again at the beginning of the year to rebuild his calendar and main season goals.

But it's now where Froome has build up his whole season to peak for the Tour that Wiggins realizes that Contador just might be not strong enough this summer, so that Wiggins could be able to win the Tour again if his train is dragging him up towards the mountains again. That way Wiggings is suggesting to ruin Froome's 3rd Grand Tour in a row, which he actually could've (Tour 2012) or even would've (Vuelta 2011) won. It's just natural that Froome and his chick are going mad about that. Wiggings is so pathetic.

And as much as I hate the that whole Team Sky construction and their laughable transformation of medicore riders into top climbers (Especially Froome & Porte) I have to admit that I can't hide some symphaty for the Kenyan. At the time when Froome and his chiquita are going loco and Froome stops playing nice and becoming more-and-more a controversial blatherskite in honour of il Cobra I will even begin to love this guy.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I feel too much honouring and admiring feelings in the words of many when speaking about Froome girlfriend.

As a former advertisement model and stripper (I was young and needed the money :D), I´d say:

Her looks:
Good, but average good body shape. Nice, but not super pretty face. Her looks are good, better than Wiggins´ wife looks, but not stunningly good.

Her behaviour:
She´s a fotographer, I don´t have a clue about her job, she might be good, average or bad, no idea. She seems to switch focus to Froome´s job too often, and relies (or seems to rely) too much on his salaries. That´s what a lot of women do, OK. But, be sure, she knows if Froome wins TdF one day and is millionaire, he will have approach to other categories of women. She is afraid of that.

Her mouth:
Rather a child or adolescent than a grown-up woman. The more Froome is a professional, the less she is. She doesn´t do him a faith in being so outspoken. She won´t change anything, anyways. Brailsford is the man who decides at Sky, not a semi time photographer hungry for big money, devestatedly trying to keep her Monaco lifestyle.

I´m not a twitter user, so could someone give her the link to my post here? Thanks, appreciated :):D

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
staubsauger said:
Well, talking about this season I doubt Froome wouln't have accepted a leader role only in the giro. I mean, just look at the parcours. Froome actually could win 5 or 6 stages easily while making the Patani-Show, Il piccolo principe, Robo-Basso and Grandissimo-Emanuele nearly forgotten.

Froome has a decent enough sprint to win uphill finishes out of a favourite group. Especially against comeptitors like Nibali, Hesjedal and older/weaker Delfino/ Sanchez/ Scarponi. He would be cleary the strongest rider in the tt's, but he has also become a top level climber and he has some explosiveness in favour of Nibali&co to attack them in the mountains and win solo.

So if Wiggings would've decided early on to defend his yellow jersey nd wouldn't have been frightened of coming back Contador, like a little baby. Of course Froome would've accepted his new role to rock the giro. And it's not that Wiggings didn't have the opportunity again at the beginning of the year to rebuild his calendar and main season goals.

But it's now where Froome has build up his whole season to peak for the Tour that Wiggins realizes that Contador just might be not strong enough this summer, so that Wiggins could be able to win the Tour again if his train is dragging him up towards the mountains again. That way Wiggings is suggesting to ruin Froome's 3rd Grand Tour in a row, which he actually could've (Tour 2012) or even would've (Vuelta 2011) won. It's just natural that Froome and his chick are going mad about that. Wiggings is so pathetic.

And as much as I hate the that whole Team Sky construction and their laughable transformation of medicore riders into top climbers (Especially Froome & Porte) I have to admit that I can't hide some symphaty for the Kenyan. At the time when Froome and his chiquita are going loco and Froome stops playing nice and becoming more-and-more a controversial blatherskite in honour of il Cobra I will even began to love this guy.

I agree. To suggest (prior to Contadors ban) that Wiggins could have beaten Contador in a GT would have been laughable. Now it looks a possibility. Wiggins possibly aimed for the Giro purely to avoid humiliation at the hands of Contador.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Franklin said:
Objectively????:eek:

I know you are a fanboy who doesn't look at the facts, but Froome never won a GT in his life. The last GT won was by a guy called Alberto Contador, who actually won a few GT's more than that.

What you could say is that Froome has a better form today than AC, but saying he and Wiggo are the best GT riders in the world is flat out ridiculously wrong.

In fact your statement is objectively false so I really do wonder how your thought progress goes... do you just shut out every rider that doesn't wear your favourite jersey?

If all that matters is a number of won GT, yes, Contador is and will be the best GT rider at least during 5 future years regardless his results. However if we talk about actual today's strength (the things we've seen for the last and this season) it is Wiggins and Froome no doubt.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
If all that matters is a number of won GT, yes, Contador is and will be the best GT rider at least during 5 future years regardless his results. However if we talk about actual today's strength (the things we've seen for the last and this season) it is Wiggins and Froome no doubt.

Contadors results this season are better than Wiggins. You can't say that Wiggins is superior to Contador based on a Tour that AC could not partake in

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
I agree. To suggest (prior to Contadors ban) that Wiggins could have beaten Contador in a GT would have been laughable. Now it looks a possibility. Wiggins possibly aimed for the Giro purely to avoid humiliation at the hands of Contador.

I reckon Wiggins initially aimed at the Giro because the team management gently guided him down that path: "you'd really make history if you won the Giro, whereas two Tour wins is less historic" and Wiggins' ego agreed. Plus, Wiggins has said he hadn't enjoyed the Tour last year. Now the bad memories have faded, Tim K has had a look at the numbers, and the Tour is back on.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Contadors results this season are better than Wiggins. You can't say that Wiggins is superior to Contador based on a Tour that AC could not partake in

He would never have won it if he participated. One could put his head on scaffold and not make a mistake. People underrated Sky boys monstrously both after Vuelta 11 and Tour 12. I'm sure Wiggins will disappoint many many people, beating Nibali on the climbs.

'Froome and Wiggins are much weaker than Contador' was one big artificial misleading and we get confirmation of this in this season. Sky are disliked so hugely that... not a lot of people can judge it in cold blood

TRENDING THREADS