• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
May 19, 2011
Visit site
"Just eight riders have done the Dauphiné-Tour double and if there is a question of whether Froomie can match what Bradley did last year and win both I say, why not? I know probably as well as anyone where Froomie is and for me, from the outside seeing his mental state, he's so tough and the efforts that he's doing, even if he's tired he's getting the desired watts and all of that out. He's his normal self while you're riding along but when we've got work to do, efforts, then he flicks that switch and I wouldn't want to be racing against him, put it that way."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/richie-porte/i-wouldnt-want-to-be-racing-against-froome

LOL they two should just get a room!:eek:

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Has he been in a windtunnel yet? Lots of improvement left when he finally gets into one.

BKyvYupCEAACNH4.jpg

In the wind tunnel at Southampton last week with the new Pinarello Bolide.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
"Just eight riders have done the Dauphiné-Tour double and if there is a question of whether Froomie can match what Bradley did last year and win both I say, why not? I know probably as well as anyone where Froomie is and for me, from the outside seeing his mental state, he's so tough and the efforts that he's doing, even if he's tired he's getting the desired watts and all of that out. He's his normal self while you're riding along but when we've got work to do, efforts, then he flicks that switch and I wouldn't want to be racing against him, put it that way."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/richie-porte/i-wouldnt-want-to-be-racing-against-froome

LOL they two should just get a room!:eek:

They are best friends at Sky actually :p

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Has he been in a windtunnel yet? Lots of improvement left when he finally gets into one.

Yes he has:

"I'm not actually sure that my climbing would be necessarily better than any of my rivals," Froome said. "But the time trial is something I've been working on quite a bit. I went to the wind tunnel for the first time a week ago so that was interesting to see if there are any small changes I can make there to get a bit faster."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-mini-tour-de-france.html#plbDPXkrmvUFGhvC.99

At the start of the season Richie actually said that he probably preferred riding for Wiggins even though he is Froome's training partner etc.

That's probably changed after Crit Int and Romandie. I just hope that he's good enough to be there with the last 5-6 climbers, could see them playing games like they did in Corsica.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
He went for the first time this month?

Gross negligence on his part, and his trainer. Even if they found a major shift was necessary it's too late to get comfortable with it.

Neuromuscular adaptations (eg. to a new TT position) actually occur very quickly. 4-6 weeks is more than long enough if he'd never ridden a TT bike before, let alone making minor changes from an existing TT position that is already pretty effective.

Of course that assumes he will have only made minor changes, but I think that's very likely at this stage.

will10 said:
Neuromuscular adaptations (eg. to a new TT position) actually occur very quickly. 4-6 weeks is more than long enough if he'd never ridden a TT bike before, let alone making minor changes from an existing TT position that is already pretty effective.

Of course that assumes he will have only made minor changes, but I think that's very likely at this stage.

It really beggars belief that he would happily develop a position free hand and then do a wind tunnel check mid season after already riding several TTs. Just downright bizzare.

I'm amazed he didn't do it the winter before last, and only that late because he wouldn't have been worth the cost before that.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
It really beggars belief that he would happily develop a position free hand and then do a wind tunnel check mid season after already riding several TTs. Just downright bizzare.

I'm amazed he didn't do it the winter before last, and only that late because he wouldn't have been worth the cost before that.
Sky don't really focus on major gains such as having an efficient TT position. They are more worried about how to wash one's hands properly :)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:

Remember he's only recently recieved the new tt bike, this might be what he refers to as a 'first time' although I think he does mean it genuinely as a first time ever.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Froome already said he'd had no tunnel time as of 2/3 months ago. I think we can be pretty sure he hadn't been until S'hampton a week or two ago.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:

Presumably they were waiting until they had his new TT Bike and test on it

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
At the start of the season Richie actually said that he probably preferred riding for Wiggins even though he is Froome's training partner etc.

That's probably changed after Crit Int and Romandie. I just hope that he's good enough to be there with the last 5-6 climbers, could see them playing games like they did in Corsica.

That should be entertaining :D

Gotta love the clinic explosions when it happens ;)

Grupetto1 said:
While it does seem fairly inexcusable that froome hasnt been in the tunnel before last week, its possible that sky have different techno that does the same job of testing tt position. IE this pic of cataldo earlier in the season https://twitter.com/DarioCataldo/status/291105965267353600/photo/1

He is hooked up tp a Retul unit for fitting. I know the guys that fit Sky in the past. Not the same thing at all.

I am a certified Retul fitter

Grupetto1 said:
While it does seem fairly inexcusable that froome hasnt been in the tunnel before last week, its possible that sky have different techno that does the same job of testing tt position. IE this pic of cataldo earlier in the season https://twitter.com/DarioCataldo/status/291105965267353600/photo/1

come on Grupetto1, the Airline and Car industry have been using windtunnels for years to try and get the aerodynamics right using massive budgets. Cycling is just capitalizing on existing technology. There are no alternatives to windtunnel testing at this time.

Sky just figured that out this year.

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
wwabbit said:
He was disqualified for holding on to a motorbike.
He claimed that he was sick and intended to DNF anyway

I like him even less now Ive read this.

Just get off the bike and into the broom wagon. Its quite easy and no motorbikes need to be involved.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Froome already said he'd had no tunnel time as of 2/3 months ago. I think we can be pretty sure he hadn't been until S'hampton a week or two ago.

I can empathise with that - there isn't much to recommend it.

By sheer coincidence, I have rather dissatisfactory memory of an Oasis concert in 2000, during which my aural experience was dominated by racist chants performed by a group of Saints supporters immediately behind me. I should have known better than travel to that dusty dump in north west London, but I was lured away from town by a free ticket.