• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
del1962 said:
I think Knees will be in the sqaud, posibly Stannard aswell, in place of Uran and Siutsou

Agreed.

Uran is focusing on the Worlds at the end of the year, he will ride the Vuelta and is certainly not doing the Tour.

Knees will be taken surely, he is Sky's wind buffer. Only other person who could be considered is Zandio, whom Wiggins and DB like a lot, but I don't think he will get taken.. just simply not good enough. Bernie aint got a chance either imo. Stannard should be the last rider therefore.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Agreed.

Uran is focusing on the Worlds at the end of the year, he will ride the Vuelta and is certainly not doing the Tour.

Knees will be taken surely, he is Sky's wind buffer. Only other person who could be considered is Zandio, whom Wiggins and DB like a lot, but I don't think he will get taken.. just simply not good enough. Bernie aint got a chance either imo. Stannard should be the last rider therefore.

Thomas, Hagen, Stannard and Knees is way too much for flat. One of them won't start imo

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Thomas, Hagen, Stannard and Knees is way too much for flat. One of them won't start imo

Boasson Hagen will be there for his climbing ability as much as anything, noone better at dropping 90% of the peloton on the first part of a climb.

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Boasson Hagen will be there for his climbing ability as much as anything, noone better at dropping 90% of the peloton on the first part of a climb.

This.
Froome,Wiggins,Porte,Kiry,EBH,Thomas,Knees,Stannard,Eisel.
EBH and Thomas are very good in the first kms on the climbs.Kiry will be like Rogers last year.

maltiv said:
I'm pretty sure Stannard is riding, he was part of the Tenerife training camp. They need an engine like him for the flat and the TTT.

Eisel will be there too I imagine. They valued his experience highly at the Tour last year and I can't imagine he renewed with Sky without at least a promise that he'd be part of their Tour plans.

Looking at the Tour route, guys like Stannard and Eisel can be highly valuable. Obviously Knees is more versatile but it depends how he recovers from the Giro (he was pretty strong in the final week judging by results).

I think the team will be:

Froome
Wiggins
Porte
Lopez
Kiryienka
Thomas
EBH
Stannard
Eisel

Uran will ride if Wiggins isn't ready. Knees is an alternative to Stannard and Eisel. Suitsou is an alternative to Lopez, Kiryienka, Thomas and EBH.

JRanton said:

Froome
Wiggins
Porte
Lopez
Kiryienka
Thomas
EBH
Stannard
Eisel

Snap. Swap around Lopez and Kiryienka and that's probably your train order too.

I wouldn't take Brad actually or even replace him with one of the Colombians. Much better to take somebody who's going to be fully behind Froome, and somebody who can support on the flat, hills and TTT - Sivtsov or Knees probably.

King Of The Wolds said:
Snap. Swap around Lopez and Kiryienka and that's probably your train order too.

I wouldn't take Brad actually or even replace him with one of the Colombians. Much better to take somebody who's going to be fully behind Froome, and somebody who can support on the flat, hills and TTT - Sivtsov or Knees probably.

Lopez was used after Kiryienka in the train at both Paris-Nice and Romandie. I think politically they pretty much have to take Wiggins, unless he's completely unfit. It's a bit like the Cavendish situation last year. He's defending champion and has too much name recognition in Britain for Sky not to want him there. Brailsford said before the Giro that if Wiggins didn't ride the Tour then Henao would replace him. Given that Henao was running on fumes in the second half of the Giro I'd imagine the logical replacement would be Uran.

JRanton said:
Lopez was used after Kiryienka in the train at both Paris-Nice and Romandie. I think politically they pretty much have to take Wiggins, unless he's completely unfit. It's a bit like the Cavendish situation last year. He's defending champion and has too much name recognition in Britain for Sky not to want him there. Brailsford said before the Giro that if Wiggins didn't ride the Tour then Henao would replace him. Given that Henao was running on fumes in the second half of the Giro I'd imagine the logical replacement would be Uran.

Cav situation was slightly different in that Cav guarantees some success, which took the pressure off Wiggins. And he got stuck into the domestique duties with relish - I just don't see Brad or the Colombians doing that. Anyway, we both know Brad will go, as you rightly point out.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
I think Porte will finish higher than Wiggins.

So do I, but its depends wheter Porte is allowed to do his own race. Hopfully the likes of Kiriyenka, Lopez and perhaps Thomas can take care of the job he did last year.

JRanton said:

Froome
Wiggins
Porte
Lopez
Kiryienka
Thomas
EBH
Stannard
Eisel

I agree that will be the Sky team. They will pretty much have everything covered in terms of domestiques. Eisel and Stannard for the flat, a strong TTT squad and the train of Lopez, Kiryienka, Porte and Wiggo to launch Froome. Thomas and EBH can do some early work on the mountains as well as maybe a breakaway stage win in the latter days.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
HCl+HN03 said:
So do I, but its depends wheter Porte is allowed to do his own race. Hopfully the likes of Kiriyenka, Lopez and perhaps Thomas can take care of the job he did last year.

I am expecting Thomas to be impressive.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
There's more to come from the Dawg.

But he says: “I don’t feel like I’ve hit my best form yet. It’s been good but not like I’ve been absolutely flying yet. I feel on the rise but I’ve still got a few weeks to the Tour, there’s still headroom.”

“Contador’s the main threat,” says Froome. “He knows what he’s doing, he’s won a lot of Grands Tour. He’ll be hidden away in Spain somewhere riding himself into form, I’m sure.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/oth...s-and-winning-the-tour-de-france-8637316.html

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
gooner said:
There's more to come from the Dawg.

But he says: “I don’t feel like I’ve hit my best form yet. It’s been good but not like I’ve been absolutely flying yet. I feel on the rise but I’ve still got a few weeks to the Tour, there’s still headroom.”

Quote:
“Contador’s the main threat,” says Froome. “He knows what he’s doing, he’s won a lot of Grands Tour. He’ll be hidden away in Spain somewhere riding himself into form, I’m sure.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/oth...s-and-winning-the-tour-de-france-8637316.html

Only he has been doing that in Switzerland, not spain :D

Anyways, Froome is right. He shouldnt be 100% yet and he shouldnt be 100% in Dauphiné either.

TRENDING THREADS