• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
eagleofditchling said:
I like him even less now Ive read this.

Just get off the bike and into the broom wagon. Its quite easy and no motorbikes need to be involved.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/471148/froome-disqualified-from-giro-d-italia.html

Sounds like a future GT champion. Helping out sprinters :rolleyes:

Froome helped Henderson by pulling in the first part of the stage yesterday to Brescia. He finished the day 104th in the overall classification.

Sky brought him to the Giro d'Italia was to help Bradley Wiggins for the overall classification and to help Wiggins prepare for the Tour de France.

maxmartin said:
WOW just look at the dramatic body shape change, unbelievable!!! You have to take hats off for SKY's advanced training methods.:eek:

Here's one for you.

Future GT champion giving up his bike and providing a push! Scary eh?

Obviously Sky could see his talents early on and made him push mid pack fodder like Henderson.

How did this guy get so good? #scratcheshead

giro-2010-st10-HENDERSON-FROOME.jpg

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
A. Thomas-Commin‏@a_thomas_commin3m
Chris Froome imagine un front espagnol sur le Tour : "Lors de la Vuelta 2012, c'était d'abord Contador-Rodriguez-Valverde contre moi."

Cimber said:
A. Thomas-Commin‏@a_thomas_commin3m
Chris Froome imagine un front espagnol sur le Tour : "Lors de la Vuelta 2012, c'était d'abord Contador-Rodriguez-Valverde contre moi."

That's the same stupid assumption like Cancellara always saying everybody raced against him. The constantly attacked each other during the Vuelta...saying there is a pact against him is nonsense and only contributes to glorifying himself.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
He said: "I have been a lot more consistent with my numbers this year and I have been able to hit the numbers that last year I thought were exceptional. And I feel I can still get better. Last year I felt: 'I am really flying now.' This year I am hitting that comfortably now."

"I've got my goals and personally where I want my career to go is to target the Tour," he said. "Not just this year but for the next six or seven years and each time to line up at the Tour ready to try and contend for the yellow jersey. I am driven by that goal."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/12/chris-froome-tour-de-france

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
wwabbit said:
Isolating Froome allows a rider that is climbing stronger than Froome to ride away from him.

exactly what I thought. an on form contador or schleck would tear him to shreds. he relies too much on the sky train and doesn't attack more than 3kms out whereas contador and schleck attack early climb

nick101 said:
exactly what I thought. an on form contador or schleck would tear him to shreds. he relies too much on the sky train and doesn't attack more than 3kms out whereas contador and schleck attack early climb

I wouldn't rely on that. It's not like he can't close gaps himself and also "on form" (whatever this means) Conti and Schleck wouldn't ride cicles around him. But certainly isolation would make him (and every other rider) more vulnerable to attacks.

But again, I seriously doubt that there will be real alliances between the spaniards. At least not to a degree where the others just sit up if one of them attacks and let Froome close the gap...I just don't see that happening (see Vuelta12).

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
nick101 said:

HE doesnt attack because he doesnt usually need to :rolleyes:

And when he needed - he did. i.e. Corsica International.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
judging by past form contador and schleck definitely could. his attack at criterium international was in the last 3kms and was merely an increase in pace and not an explosive acceleration like contador or schleck. Quintana is an outside possibility as well

Gloin22 said:
HE doesnt attack because he doesnt usually need to :rolleyes:

And when he needed - he did. I.e. Corsica International.

Yes, especially since he's an excellent sprinter/finisher for a GC rider. If he hangs onto the wheel of a rider like Contador or Schleck until the last 500 metres of a MTF there's a good chance he'll take 20-30 seconds in the end.

Unfortunately I'd say, because I really want to see Froome go all-out for once; maybe on the Alpe?

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
spalco said:
Yes, especially since he's an excellent sprinter/finisher for a GC rider. If he hangs onto the wheel of a rider like Contador or Schleck until the last 500 metres of a MTF there's a good chance he'll take 20-30 seconds in the end.

Unfortunately I'd say, because I really want to see Froome go all-out for once; maybe on the Alpe?

totally agree about the alpe. suits a rider like froome that has a high tempo but also a good last km pace if needed. we haven't seen how froome reacts and handles changes in pace yet. contador and schleck haven't been able to do that due to lack of form. but judging by the way froome rides with a high but constant pace with an acceleration in the final km, id say big changes in pace won't suit him.

nick101 said:
we haven't seen how froome reacts and handles changes in pace yet. contador and schleck haven't been able to do that due to lack of form. but judging by the way froome rides with a high but constant pace with an acceleration in the final km, id say big changes in pace won't suit him.

Apart from the shape Froome was in during that time of the season, you could see exactly that during last years Vuelta. The constant attacking from the likes of Contador, Valverde and JRod certainly wore him out. But as I said, we don't know what his form was compared to the Tour12. Then again a high basic pace doesn't leave much room for such variations...that's the whole intention of the Sky train.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
JimPanzen said:
Apart from the shape Froome was in during that time of the season, you could see exactly that during last years Vuelta. The constant attacking from the likes of Contador, Valverde and JRod certainly wore him out. But as I said, we don't know what his form was compared to the Tour12. Then again a high basic pace doesn't leave much room for such variations...that's the whole intention of the Sky train.

yup contador was only at about ~85% most of the vuelta and froome was a slightly less condition ~80%. but if contador reaches about 95% and so does schleck then I think the constant attacks will wear him out in the final stages. with a constant high pace it won't hurt an in form contador. in the 09 tour they had cancellara drilling the first three kms of verbier then frank surging but contador was in no difficulty. but that being said more than one rider needs to attack froome (not just contador) to put him in difficulty. btw froome is currently at ~95%, contador is only ~75%.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
nick101 said:
judging by past form contador and schleck definitely could. his attack at criterium international was in the last 3kms and was merely an increase in pace and not an explosive acceleration like contador or schleck. Quintana is an outside possibility as well

It doesn't matter whether it's explosive or not. It is only a visual impression. Riding like this, he can drop anyone.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
nick101 said:

Neither Contador nor Schleck wouldn't be squeamished to use such a train force that Froome has. It's huge team resource which is stupid not to use to the full extent. Froome will attack not from 1 km to go in the Tour surely

airstream said:
Neither Contador nor Schleck wouldn't be squeamished to use such a train force that Froome has. It's huge team resource which is stupid not to use to the full extent. Froome will attack not from 1 km to go in the Tour surely

It really depends if everything goes to plan for him or not. If Froome doesn't lose time in with a crash/puncture ect then he will surely take yellow after the TT on Stage 11 if not before. With no time bonuses he wont have to attack if he doesn't want to. He can just wait until the final 500m and take a few seconds in out sprinting his rivals. It will be up to Contador, Purito and the rest to drop him in the mountains.

Although Froome does seem to like to beat his rivals and take stage wins rather than just following them so we will have to wait and see!

airstream said:
What train force? I predict Froome's train will be a mere shadow of last year's Tour. You may quote this for posterity. :)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
It really depends if everything goes to plan for him or not. If Froome doesn't lose time in with a crash/puncture ect then he will surely take yellow after the TT on Stage 11 if not before. With no time bonuses he wont have to attack if he doesn't want to. He can just wait until the final 500m and take a few seconds in out sprinting his rivals. It will be up to Contador, Purito and the rest to drop him in the mountains.

Although Froome does seem to like to beat his rivals and take stage wins rather than just following them so we will have to wait and see!

I'm sure Froome will want to attack. He attacked Contador while being on far from optimal shape in the Vuelta and attacked the whole season so far. No doubt he wants to win 1-2 mountain stages. I rate his chances at Ax-3 and Alpe-d'Huez very highly.

I don't see why Froome may not be able to replay Ospedale and Les Diablerets even against Contador & co. He's no Purito and clearly feels his climbing power.

TRENDING THREADS