• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
nick101 said:
totally agree about the alpe. suits a rider like froome that has a high tempo but also a good last km pace if needed. we haven't seen how froome reacts and handles changes in pace yet. contador and schleck haven't been able to do that due to lack of form. but judging by the way froome rides with a high but constant pace with an acceleration in the final km, id say big changes in pace won't suit him.

I don't think changes in pace will bother him one bit. He'll simply increase his tempo to one that slowly reels in his rival(s). He doesn't try to immediately accelerate up to the attacking rider's wheel as we have seen. He and Sky simply up their tempo a bit figuring that the escapee can't maintain that same explosive speed that created the gap. They may even let them hang out there a bit to make sure that when they do finally reel them in, that if it's within a few km's of the finish that the escapee won't have anything left to respond to killer blow attack from Froome.

As many have said unless Contador hits his peak form, or some miracle happens with Andy, the mountains of July will be a predictable and boring affair unless you're a Sky fan.:(

Contadoraus Schlecks said:
I think Wiggins may want to change teams. Froome wants Armstrong's 7.

Good news for Contador though, doesn't look like Froome will be going anywhere near the Giro.

Porte will be going for the Giro next year and possibly the year after. Wiggins will have to play 2nd fiddle if he stays at Sky as he won't be able to beat Froome or Porte. It appears that Sky have got their TDF leader for the next few years while the younger riders grow and gain more experience.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Angliru said:
I don't think changes in pace will bother him one bit. He'll simply increase his tempo to one that slowly reels in his rival(s). He doesn't try to immediately accelerate up to the attacking rider's wheel as we have seen. He and Sky simply up their tempo a bit figuring that the escapee can't maintain that same explosive speed that created the gap. They may even let them hang out there a bit to make sure that when they do finally reel them in, that if it's within a few km's of the finish that the escapee won't have anything left to respond to killer blow attack from Froome.

As many have said unless Contador hits his peak form, or some miracle happens with Andy, the mountains of July will be a predictable and boring affair unless you're a Sky fan.:(
last year froome was able to peak for several months then at the vuelta he died. now do the math and froome has been at or near top form since the start of February at oman. which is a long time. while others have taken breaks, he's been racing. he can't maintain that form forever and coming into the tour already at 100% is far from ideal. meanwhile a lot of gc contenders will come into the tour below 90% but will reach maximum before the final week at ventoux so will be a lot fresher. now with the tdf last year wiggins was peaking at the start just like froome but was able to come through with the win as even if he dropped to 90% the mountain stages weren't difficult enough to allow other riders to crack him and the strength of the team prevented that anyway and he still would be able to gain minutes in the tt's.

unless contador is at least 90% then yes he will be out climbed by froome. to beat froome he would have to be nearly 100% which is a similar level to 2009. repeatedly attacking wouldn't tire an on form contador, he'd just keep attacking and sky would start loosing men who tire from closing attacks (that is assuming they could even match his constant climbing speed once he stops accelerating). likely several other riders will be also on form (but not quite to contadors ability) who will also add fuel to the fire: rolland, rodriguez, schleck, valverde, anton, evans, Quintana, fuglslang, van garderen, van den broeck, gesink, mollema all have the potential and at least a couple surely will be a major problem for him. at the vuelta we saw when froome is forced to chase attacks down he tires, yes he could catch contador but the sheer effort of chasing is what does the damage. several big contador attacks would be sufficient for an on form froome given he was pretty much dropped after the first attack by an unfit contador at the vuelta. the minor gc riders at the vuelta disrupted the sky train leaving froome isolated for contador. portes role in chasing down the threats will be important as he will last longer so could be a problem for contador et al.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
I think Wiggins may want to change teams. Froome wants Armstrong's 7.

Good news for Contador though, doesn't look like Froome will be going anywhere near the Giro.

Just like the way Lance got his 7...

nick101 said:
last year froome was able to peak for several months then at the vuelta he died. now do the math and froome has been at or near top form since the start of February at oman. which is a long time. while others have taken breaks, he's been racing. he can't maintain that form forever and coming into the tour already at 100% is far from ideal. meanwhile a lot of gc contenders will come into the tour below 90% but will reach maximum before the final week at ventoux so will be a lot fresher. now with the tdf last year wiggins was peaking at the start just like froome but was able to come through with the win as even if he dropped to 90% the mountain stages weren't difficult enough to allow other riders to crack him and the strength of the team prevented that anyway and he still would be able to gain minutes in the tt's.

unless contador is at least 90% then yes he will be out climbed by froome. to beat froome he would have to be nearly 100% which is a similar level to 2009. repeatedly attacking wouldn't tire an on form contador, he'd just keep attacking and sky would start loosing men who tire from closing attacks (that is assuming they could even match his constant climbing speed once he stops accelerating). likely several other riders will be also on form (but not quite to contadors ability) who will also add fuel to the fire: rolland, rodriguez, schleck, valverde, anton, evans, Quintana, fuglslang, van garderen, van den broeck, gesink, mollema all have the potential and at least a couple surely will be a major problem for him. at the vuelta we saw when froome is forced to chase attacks down he tires, yes he could catch contador but the sheer effort of chasing is what does the damage. several big contador attacks would be sufficient for an on form froome given he was pretty much dropped after the first attack by an unfit contador at the vuelta. the minor gc riders at the vuelta disrupted the sky train leaving froome isolated for contador. portes role in chasing down the threats will be important as he will last longer so could be a problem for contador et al.

2009 Contador will win ant GT hands down irrespectuve of Froome or Sky train. 2011 Giro form is realistic & will be competitive.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
IndianCyclist said:
2009 Contador will win ant GT hands down irrespectuve of Froome or Sky train. 2011 Giro form is realistic & will be competitive.

I used to think that but in reality Contador won the TT in 2009 and produced Verbier. I think that in 2013 Froome will win the TT and also dominate at least one of the mountain stages.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
froome will dominate the first two mountain stages as he is coming into the tour at nearly 100%, but by ventoux the others will also be peaking and froome will be losing form, so he won't be able to dominate them. contador will probably lose 10 seconds at ax-3 in the final km acceleration by froome and maybe the same in the first itt. froome doesn't have the ability to win the tt, martin and maybe one or two tt'rs have been about a minute better than him every single tt, so he can't win the first tt. you have to note that the Annecy tt in 2009 had a 6km cat 2 climb in it which allowed contador to narrowly beat cancellara. the final tt is hilly so expect froome to win with contador under 10 seconds back. at the 2011 giro contador podiumed in the tt which was completely flat and only lost 30 seconds compared to froomes consistent loss of a minute to the best tt'r.

nick101 said:
froome will dominate the first two mountain stages as he is coming into the tour at nearly 100%, but by ventoux the others will also be peaking and froome will be losing form, so he won't be able to dominate them. contador will probably lose 10 seconds at ax-3 in the final km acceleration by froome and maybe the same in the first itt. froome doesn't have the ability to win the tt, martin and maybe one or two tt'rs have been about a minute better than him every single tt, so he can't win the first tt. you have to note that the Annecy tt in 2009 had a 6km cat 2 climb in it which allowed contador to narrowly beat cancellara. the final tt is hilly so expect froome to win with contador under 10 seconds back. at the 2011 giro contador podiumed in the tt which was completely flat and only lost 30 seconds compared to froomes consistent loss of a minute to the best tt'r.

While you're at it, could you please post the final GC standings of this years Tour? This would save us the work of watching and enjoying a 3 week stage race.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
spalco said:
That analysis doesn't make a lot of sense. Froome doesn't have to win the ITT, he just has to beat the other GC contenders convincingly, whom Martin is not one of.

yeah that's what I said, but contador has proven that he is of similar tt ability to froome in the past, in comparison to martin, cancellara and the other pure tt'rs. maybe one or two other gc guys are strong enough tt'rs to lose little time to froome, but most are pure climbers so yes froome will beat the others in the tt, especially schleck and roadriguez

nick101 said:

Froome has taken breaks too. In fact he's raced 8 days less than Contador this year and the least amount of race days of any of the Tour contenders.

Froome has been building his form during the year, just like the others, it just so happens that he's been strong enough to win the races along the way. Not a great sign for his rivals...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Besides at CI when he did on the l'Ospendale. I think he would have done so in his stage win at the Dauphine if it wasn't for Contador and Valverde being too far behind after the TT and in this circumstance he didn't have to.

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
nick101 said:

I am totally intrigued by your post nick,some sort of clairvoyancy going on here?? ;)

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
JRanton said:
Froome has taken breaks too. In fact he's raced 8 days less than Contador this year and the least amount of race days of any of the Tour contenders.

Froome has been building his form during the year, just like the others, it just so happens that he's been strong enough to win the races along the way. Not a great sign for his rivals...

Exactly the way some go on, would think Froome has been in top shape how do we know that? Just because Froome is looking great does not mean he is further on in his peak phase. He is just so much better than the other GC riders, only Nibali can be spoke in the same sentance based on this season.

Its not like Froome has an unbeatable ITT either its just everyone else has got worst. I also agree with Airstream we have not seen Froome totally unleashed against big contenders. Froome could do serious damage in a 6 km effort. Its doubtful he will unless Sky have a bad day and he has to respond i just hope he goes crazy in the Mountains and does not rely on the ITT. I hope Sky are atleast 10 seconds back on Saxo before AX-3.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
All the Sky lovers seem to think it's a foregone conclusion for a Froome win. Wrong my friends. Unlike last year, this year you're going to see the Sky boys shredded in the high mountains with likely only Porte along with Froome halfway up final climbs. Then you'll see the Spanish armada of climbers launch attack after attack. You think just the fans are tired of Sky domination? If you think this is going to be a repeat dominant performance from Sky in the high mountains, it's not going to happen. Different Tour, different challengers and Team Saxo has an incredibly strong climbers team, maybe Contador's best Tour team ever and Moviestar is also extremely strong. Alberto will win it and Froome will be on the podium. I wouldn't be surprised if Purito sneaks onto the podium, he was unusually quiet in the Dauphine. Last year's top Vuelta riders will be the main protagonists in this Tour.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
hhhmmm interesting u mention rodriguez being under the radar. I never noticed him really but when I looked at the results him and Moreno finished together, both top ten on the last two mountain stages. don't forget schleck or evans :). andy is showing massive improvements every day he races plus he is going into the tour with everything to gain and nothing to lose which makes him extremely dangerous and unpredictable. Evans is able to hold a decent form year round so could be still decent also at the tour.

Everyone is sick of sky's boring style of racing. There's bound to be teams allying themselves against sky. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if a team blocked sky from moving to the front of the peleton, breaks with sky riders were chased down or sky was solely used to chase down a dangerous break. froome is in for a nasty shock if riders like rodriguez, cunego, evans, valverde, anton and dan martin are still with them when froome starts his usual final km sprint.

TANK91 said:
Exactly the way some go on, would think Froome has been in top shape how do we know that? Just because Froome is looking great does not mean he is further on in his peak phase. He is just so much better than the other GC riders, only Nibali can be spoke in the same sentance based on this season.

Its not like Froome has an unbeatable ITT either its just everyone else has got worst. I also agree with Airstream we have not seen Froome totally unleashed against big contenders. Froome could do serious damage in a 6 km effort. Its doubtful he will unless Sky have a bad day and he has to respond i just hope he goes crazy in the Mountains and does not rely on the ITT. I hope Sky are atleast 10 seconds back on Saxo before AX-3.

why "sky" and "saxo" this is about Froome and Contador

nick101 said:
hhhmmm interesting u mention rodriguez being under the radar. I never noticed him really but when I looked at the results him and Moreno finished together, both top ten on the last two mountain stages. don't forget schleck or evans :). andy is showing massive improvements every day he races plus he is going into the tour with everything to gain and nothing to lose which makes him extremely dangerous and unpredictable. Evans is able to hold a decent form year round so could be still decent also at the tour.

Everyone is sick of sky's boring style of racing. There's bound to be teams allying themselves against sky. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if a team blocked sky from moving to the front of the peleton, breaks with sky riders were chased down or sky was solely used to chase down a dangerous break. froome is in for a nasty shock if riders like rodriguez, cunego, evans, valverde, anton and dan martin are still with them when froome starts his usual final km sprint.

Schleck will be zero threat to the GC. Evans will hang in there but has shown little of the final few percent needed to be the last man standing. Cunego has become a stage hunter. The difference between Froome and the others you've named is he can sustain his final attack for the entirety of the time he chooses to go from, while the others - going by evidence of this season - cannot.

The nasty shock it would seem awaits you I'm afraid.

papafrog said:
All the Sky lovers seem to think it's a foregone conclusion for a Froome win. Wrong my friends. Unlike last year, this year you're going to see the Sky boys shredded in the high mountains with likely only Porte along with Froome halfway up final climbs. Then you'll see the Spanish armada of climbers launch attack after attack. You think just the fans are tired of Sky domination? If you think this is going to be a repeat dominant performance from Sky in the high mountains, it's not going to happen. Different Tour, different challengers and Team Saxo has an incredibly strong climbers team, maybe Contador's best Tour team ever and Moviestar is also extremely strong. Alberto will win it and Froome will be on the podium. I wouldn't be surprised if Purito sneaks onto the podium, he was unusually quiet in the Dauphine. Last year's top Vuelta riders will be the main protagonists in this Tour.

Sure those Sky fans that think it is a foregone conclusion that think Froome will win it are silly, but no less sillier than the Sky haters that think it is a foregone conclusion that Contador will win it.

The simple truth is that Froome is the favorite and has the highest chance of winning, but sometimes the favorite doesn't win.

TRENDING THREADS