• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Wiggins has a long list of achievements and was knighted for the career not one race as some seem to be suggesting.

Would he have still been knighted if he hadn't become the first British Tour winner?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Would he have still been knighted if he hadn't become the first British Tour winner?

The gold medal in the Olympics confirmed him as one of the most successful British Olympians of all time. There's every chance he still would have got it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
gooner said:
The gold medal in the Olympics confirmed him as one of the most successful British Olympians of all time. There's every chance he still would have got it.

The gold medal was the final piece of his perfect season, but getting knighted was largely do to doing something no other British athlete had ever done.

Would he have been knighted without the gold medal? I think probably, without the Tour? I'm not so sure.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
If he can't beaten the so-so alberto with his current form now, how do you think he'll able to beat Alberto next time?

Surely if one assumes that 100% Froome is significantly weaker than 100% Contador on what you transparently hint.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Voigt can't see past Froome.

"Like Bradley last year, Chris has shown consistent form all season.

"Froome is going to win, Alberto Contador will finish second and I think Tejay van Garderen will finish third."

"Right now, I think it will be Froome, Contador and Van Garderen. I might end up looking like a prophet, or I may end up looking like a fool - but that is my podium.

"Chris just looks like Bradley last year, the same things - he is strong, a dominant rider and a solid leader.

"He is good in time-trials and uphill and he is absolutely the man to beat, with a solid team to back him up too. Yes, Bradley is out but [Team Sky domestique] Richie Porte is looking pretty strong and promising."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22951988

I wouldn't be at all surprised if contador finished out of the top 3. People are just assuming he's gonna suddenly 'raise his game' for the tour. Well, 'raising yr game' isnt quite as easy as it, ahem, used to be. The fact is, on this season's form , I would say he's unlikely to get a podium. Quite simply, his TTing is ordinary and he wont be gaining chunks of time in the hills.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
willbick said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if contador finished out of the top 3. People are just assuming he's gonna suddenly 'raise his game' for the tour. Well, 'raising yr game' isnt quite as easy as it, ahem, used to be. The fact is, on this season's form , I would say he's unlikely to get a podium. Quite simply, his TTing is ordinary and he wont be gaining chunks of time in the hills.

What are you talking about here, brother?

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Cyivel said:
What are you talking about here, brother?

refer to the clinic......

even in his current form contador would podium. all he has to do is practice tt'ing a bit more and he'd do it easily; he's been the overall second best climber behind froome, in his unfit state the whole season. so I don't know where you got the idea that he's that bad :confused:. beating froome is a completely different ball game however

May 12, 2010
Visit site
nick101 said:
refer to the clinic......

even in his current form contador would podium. all he has to do is practice tt'ing a bit more and he'd do it easily; he's been the overall second best climber behind froome, in his unfit state the whole season. so I don't know where you got the idea that he's that bad :confused:. beating froome is a completely different ball game however

With the form he has had so far this season, he'll have trouble finishing top-5. But I'm sure Riis will get him in shape in time, after all, Majka could barely finish a race the beginning of this year untill he suddenly started flying in the Giro.

willbick said:

BS, he is still one of the best climbers and his consistency will get him on the podium.

willbick said:
Are u trying to get me in trouble?

So you knew very well you were breaking the forum rules. And with this response you got yourself into trouble.

Well done Tom, my brother

willbick said:

This is entirely possible. I'm personally reserving judgment since he claimed at the start of the year he was taking a new approach this year and only peaking for the TdF. I dont know if that is all a bunch of bs or not--I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Lanark said:
With the form he has had so far this season, he'll have trouble finishing top-5. But I'm sure Riis will get him in shape in time, after all, Majka could barely finish a race the beginning of this year untill he suddenly started flying in the Giro.

That's called a knee injury, it's this thing that has been bothering him for years and what kept him out of the giro last year.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
That's called a knee injury, it's this thing that has been bothering him for years and what kept him out of the giro last year.

Good thing that knee injury didn't bother him enough so he couldn't train to top shape. But this is not the Majka thread.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yea I thought that was cool too.

It's not the Majka thread indeed. Nor is it the Contador thread. So why are we even discussing him.

Because we were discussing the chance of Froome winning the Tour, obviously the shape of his competitors is relevant to that.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
You're reaching in the wrong sub-forum, let alone the wrong thread. Scandalous implications and unsupported innuendos belong in the clinic

I don't see how. Contador has looked quite poor this season. To asses what chance Froome has of winning the Tour, it's important to look at what kind of progress can be expected of his competitors. For that, it's usefull to look at what kind of jumps in performances the teammates of Froome's adversary have had, to see what can be expected at the next Tour.

Lanark said:
I don't see how. Contador has looked quite poor this season. To asses what chance Froome has of winning the Tour, it's important to look at what kind of progress can be expected of his competitors. For that, it's usefull to look at what kind of jumps in performances the teammates of Froome's adversary have had, to see what can be expected at the next Tour.
You implicate that Riis prepared Majka in a 'special' way, and then when someone calls you out on it you don't dare to own it.

LaFlorecita said:
BS, he is still one of the best climbers and his consistency will get him on the podium.

So you knew very well you were breaking the forum rules. And with this response you got yourself into trouble.

Well done Tom, my brother

I didnt say he wasnt one of the best climbers, just that i dont think he will gain chunks of time over the other good climbers. And atm i dont think he's TTing well enough to get a top 3. As for forum rules, they make contador discussions a lot more comfortable for his fans, but sadly rather meaningless.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You implicate that Riis prepared Majka in a 'special' way, and then when someone calls you out on it you don't dare to own it.

It has nothing to do with owning up to anything. The method with which Majka made a huge jump in performance is irrelevant to this subforum, I'll be happy to tell you my view in another subforum, but that has no place here. What is relevant is that a prominent teammate was able to do that, regardless of the means. That is a good sign for Contador, because otherwise Froome would have little competition this Tour.

TRENDING THREADS