• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Kris13 said:
Today 2nd stage:

150. SIUTSOU Kanstantsin 7 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
176. LOPEZ GARCIA David 5 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
195. STANNARD Ian 8 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
196. THOMAS Geraint 9 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''

4 Sky riders in last group. Taking easy after yesterdays fall, or just bad shape? Especially Lopez. Cause for concern?
Resting up for TTT. Stannard was in top shape at nationals, looking perfect for the Tour.

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
bolingbroke said:
There's no chance with SKYs reserves they are taking unfit riders to the tour.
Agree, was more concerned about injury fears. But yes most likely just taking easy for stages ahead, especially when yesterday injury report was not too bad.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Kris13 said:
Today 2nd stage:

150. SIUTSOU Kanstantsin 7 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
176. LOPEZ GARCIA David 5 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
195. STANNARD Ian 8 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
196. THOMAS Geraint 9 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''

4 Sky riders in last group. Taking easy after yesterdays fall, or just bad shape? Especially Lopez. Cause for concern?

Its nothing serious,probably resting for TTT and important stages.
Maybe G is a bit hurt tho.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, Thomas and Lopez will be pulling the peloton up the latter slopes of A3D on Saturday..Thomas especially will be in superb form.

He missed the nationals to focus on his climbing; his climbing is going to be something special..:)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, pretty obvious Thomas is going to be the penultimate mountain helper, but so solid falling out is a bit surprising. How will they go tomorrow stage if they've rested up so much today?

froomey is following other tactics you will see.no more usps train in my opinion. he's that ready, that he will solo from pailheres. he's in blistering shape

again, in the second and the third week i don't think he will remain that strong. but right now he's one level above everyone
that was quite the entertainment today!

King Boonen said:
Resting up for TTT. Stannard was in top shape at nationals, looking perfect for the Tour.

Thomas has gone for more examinations after today's finish.

Lopez and Siutsou should have been with the front group. Resting for the TTT makes no sense in these chaotic early stages. You need as many riders with your GC guys as possible. It was only thanks to Kiryienka's huge engine that they were well placed coming into the climb.

webvan said:
Froome back in usual showboating mode, wasting energy and nearly missing a turn in the descent...he's lucky Yates isn't around anymore if not he would have gotten an earful!

He complained about Sky being too conservative last year.

Also if he puts on a spectacular show whilst winning the Tour this year he'll see that as his way of gaining parity (or more) with Wiggins in the eyes of the British public. People will say Froome's the real deal and much more exciting.

Wiggo should head out to France with a box of tacks.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
froomey is following other tactics you will see.no more usps train in my opinion. he's that ready, that he will solo from pailheres. he's in blistering shape

again, in the second and the third week i don't think he will remain that strong. but right now he's one level above everyone

Evans can make up 2 min on him in the downhill from pailheres. simple physics

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

I like that youre always optimistic. I dont know if we will get a Pantani on deux alpes but we can hope :D

the sceptic said:
I like that youre always optimistic. I dont know if we will get a Pantani on deux alpes but we can hope :D

I wish we could see this but I doubt it. I hope someone can go big on one the mountain stages but I don't think it will be Froome. If all goes to plan (big if) then he should have a little buffer from the TT so it should be other who need lots of time that go and attack Froome.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Lets see how he can handle the pressure and the attacks from the other guys while leading out froome...

+1
besides the contender isnt some grandma riding her cruiser bike either. We are talking about best climbers in the world. Sky talked about 1-2 possibility, hmmm.... paris nice, dauphine is 1 week race, TDF is TDF. I would say, it would be miracle if Porte can be top 5. *but i could be wrong as well*:D

Froome19 said:
Don't worry, Thomas and Lopez will be pulling the peloton up the latter slopes of A3D on Saturday..Thomas especially will be in superb form.

He missed the nationals to focus on his climbing; his climbing is going to be something special..:)

Sigh ..............

Special is one way to put it :rolleyes:

Of course, it will depend on if he can stay on his bike. Seems to be having problems with that this year.

Jelantik said:
+1
besides the contender isnt some grandma riding her cruiser bike either. We are talking about best climbers in the world. Sky talked about 1-2 possibility, hmmm.... paris nice, dauphine is 1 week race, TDF is TDF. I would say, it would be miracle if Porte can be top 5. *but i could be wrong as well*:D

Kerrison was really bigging Porte up before the Tour. Said that his performance on La Madone climb (Armstrong's old hunting ground) the Sunday before the Tour started was amongst the most impressive he'd seen from any athlete.

Of course, Kerrison also said some silly things about Wiggins' form before the Giro so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Whereas Thomas may well finish the Tour because he appears a tough cookie he is obviously going to be severely restricted in what he can do to help Froome which is inevitably going to be a big blow.

If anything Thomas is probably the best rider for the TTT in the team now Wiggins is out. His ability in the pursuit and short TTs makes him ideal in the discipline. On top of that he seemed to be climbing better than ever at the Dauphine so subject to the form of Kiri and Svistov they may well miss his assistance there.

I cannot see how a fractured pelvis can possibly improve during the tour and given Sky coped without Svistov for most of last year the best thing for Thomas' long term health is probably to retire after the TTT and get healthy soon.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Jan the Man said:
Whereas Thomas may well finish the Tour because he appears a tough cookie he is obviously going to be severely restricted in what he can do to help Froome which is inevitably going to be a big blow.

If anything Thomas is probably the best rider for the TTT in the team now Wiggins is out. His ability in the pursuit and short TTs makes him ideal in the discipline. On top of that he seemed to be climbing better than ever at the Dauphine so subject to the form of Kiri and Svistov they may well miss his assistance there.

I cannot see how a fractured pelvis can possibly improve during the tour and given Sky coped without Svistov for most of last year the best thing for Thomas' long term health is probably to retire after the TTT and get healthy soon.

Thomas: "My mom wants me to quit, but this is the Tour" :)

http://sporten.tv2.dk/tour/2013-07-01-froome-hjælper-mor-vil-have-mig-til-udgå

Jan the Man said:

He's just cracked it slightly. That's a world of difference from a serious break. Going by his comments its already getting better as the pain is diminishing. If the team didnt think he could recover enough to contribute he wouldnt be still riding.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
JRanton said:
He complained about Sky being too conservative last year.

Also if he puts on a spectacular show whilst winning the Tour this year he'll see that as his way of gaining parity (or more) with Wiggins in the eyes of the British public. People will say Froome's the real deal and much more exciting.

It is going to be exciting to see what Froome can do without having to be concerned about upstaging his team mates. His win on the stage leading up the the airport last year was spectacular!

His surge on the descent in Corsica was also cool to watch. I think he was just trying to give himself some elbow room to avoid trouble on those twists and turns, but it certainly got the attention of the other top GC contenders. They all seem to think he is just crazy enough to try an unconventional attack and maybe strong enough to make it work.

As for Wiggins being forgotten by the British public, I don't know. I'm not British. But, Wiggins was the first to bring the yellow jersey back to the island. And, he backed it up with an Olympic gold in front of the royal palace in the same year. 2012, for Wiggo, seems too good to be quickly forgotten.

Froome stated in an interview that he plans to win a bunch of tours in a row. If he's as correct as he is brash, Wiggo's legacy will fade with each victory.

TRENDING THREADS