• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Pricey_sky said:
Froome has just turned up to get the miles in his legs as he begins to peak again for the World Champs. It was obvious he would play no significant part in this race. He has been at a great level until July and he had a month off since winning the Tour so its expected that he will be a little rusty.

I find it more appalling that TVG can have a shocker (Alpe D'huez apart) on the biggest stage of the Tour but be great in his home races.

Yeah but TJVG is very talented/ last year he rode well at the TDF (would be superb but he was bad on a few days) then rode great at this race too.
Give him time to grow, not everyone can have perfect TDF's every year.

Besides if we are to believe all the Team Sky hype- Froome would be around 60%- probably just like in Oman- where he finished 49th :)

webvan said:
Froome 49th in the Vail ITT today, 3'07" down on TVG and behind Klodi and Schleckett...I know he arrived late in CO and probably can't care less, but is it just me, or is it appalling to see a TDF winner performing so poorly?

No, I disagree. With that massive season up to the finish of the Tour de France I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't do any serious at all anymore for the rest of the year. I actually think it's commendable that he's still trying for the fall apparently even though I also don't think he has a shot to win in the WC road race.

eta: and that looking at the stem tumblr is definitely funny btw.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Froome has never really convinced as a one day or classics rider. I would be surprised if he made the podium. Hilly circuit races don't have much in common with grand tours.

The only reason why this is the case is Froome has never targetted them. No doubt he has full set of skills to succeed in one day races.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Why is there no doubt about that? Because you're a fanboy?

Because history doesn't know examples when a rider has a great sprint, excellent individual engine, outstanding endurance but capitulates only because of the fact that it is one day start. Or you have something to disprove regarding skills?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Because history doesn't know examples when a rider has a great sprint, excellent individual engine, outstanding endurance but capitulates only because of the fact that it is one day start. Or you have something to disprove regarding skills?

The difference with one day classics is that they are over 250k Many riders are good up to 200k but fail at longer distances.EBH is one example.Some talented riders like Gilbert take years to come good at the longer distances.

airstream said:

He hasn't really proved to have a great sprint. Besides barely beating Contador in Oman. He doesn't stand a chance against Valverde og gilbert in a flat sprint.

EDIT: gilbert probably won't be there at the end, it's just that I disagree that froome has a great sprint.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Bushman said:
He hasn't really proved to have a great sprint. Besides barely beating Contador in Oman. He doesn't stand a chance against Valverde og gilbert in a flat sprint.

EDIT: gilbert probably won't be there at the end, it's just that I disagree that froome has a great sprint.

We are not looking into the situation of mass sprint. Froome sprints well from the small group which is the main thing.

simo1733 said:
The difference with one day classics is that they are over 250k Many riders are good up to 200k but fail at longer distances.EBH is one example.Some talented riders like Gilbert take years to come good at the longer distances.

Yes which is why the Worlds is one of the hardest races to win. Freire won three because he was such a versatile rider. The Worlds is usually a war of attrition and fast. Lots of climbing on each circuit this year but different climbing to the Tour. I just don't see Froome handling the transition even though he is an excellent climber. To be honest I would be surprised if Froome made the top 10. Plus if Froome did manage to finish in a small group with a Valverde or Rodriguez for example he would have no chance unless he attacked a long way out and got a gap. He does not have the sprint to challenge riders like that. I just can't see Froome being successful.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Yes which is why the Worlds is one of the hardest races to win. Freire won three because he was such a versatile rider. The Worlds is usually a war of attrition and fast. Lots of climbing on each circuit this year but different climbing to the Tour. I just don't see Froome handling the transition even though he is an excellent climber. To be honest I would be surprised if Froome made the top 10. Plus if Froome did manage to finish in a small group with a Valverde or Rodriguez for example he would have no chance unless he attacked a long way out and got a gap. He does not have the sprint to challenge riders like that. I just can't see Froome being successful.

Very true, Froome can beat others in a sprint when he's either had his team drill it on the final climb and drop everyone else or when they come to the end of the climb and a very select group of GT contenders are all that's left, doing it in a one day race as hard as the Florence course is much different though.

Another thing that I think will go against Froome is the style of racing of one days. In a GT different people have different goals and a lot of racing GT's is about conserving energy for the days ahead. One days though, it's all out. Much more attacks, much different tactics, and much harder then a single stage of a GT. Froomes team isn't going to be able to control it all day and drop most everyone else by the end as easily as they do in GT's.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
No he doesn't. Not on the flat.

I see only 4 guys among grand pretenders who sprint on flat obviously better - Valverde, Sagan, Gerrans and Gilbert. Well apparently these 4 are more than enough for you to say 'no'. In addition Froome has a weapon of solo move at the expense of TT engine as Evans did in 2009, so it is reasonable to think this produces some chances, no? :)

airstream said:
I see only 4 guys among grand pretenders who sprint on flat obviously better - Valverde, Sagan, Gerrans and Gilbert. Well apparently these 4 are more than enough for you to say 'no'. In addition Froome has a weapon of solo move at the expense of TT engine as Evans did in 2009, so it is reasonable to think this produces some chances, no? :)
What does a solo move have to do with his sprinting?

Both Uran and Canc have a much better sprint than Froome on the flat.

TRENDING THREADS