• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 268 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
damian13ster said:
It is not my fault that 99% of your posts are the same as 99% of Tinkoff and Contador's PR - pure, and empty BS.
Stop inputing that off-topic crap into every thread on this forum and you won't have me responding to it
Stop hating on Contador at every opportunity and I'll stop calling you out on your obsessive hatred.

Then look at the thread title before inserting your Contador BS in there.
You have a thread specifically for that. Stick to it

Dog said:
LaFlorecita said:
damian13ster said:
Nope, Froome has nothing to do with Majka. He just kicks Contador's (and everyone else's) ass at the Tour every chance he gets. So he backs up his words with actions. Trait that Contador does not have.
You were the one who brought Alberto and his 'claims without any backing' in here
My point was that you had another dig at Contador by posting "At least Froome does more result-wise at Tour than just talk".

But isn't it a fact? Contador hasn't performed at the Tour since 2009 (or 2010 depending on how biased you are). Froome on the other hand has finished on the podium in three of the last four Tours and won two.

She is not concerned with such trivial things as facts

Dog said:
LaFlorecita said:
damian13ster said:
Nope, Froome has nothing to do with Majka. He just kicks Contador's (and everyone else's) ass at the Tour every chance he gets. So he backs up his words with actions. Trait that Contador does not have.
You were the one who brought Alberto and his 'claims without any backing' in here
My point was that you had another dig at Contador by posting "At least Froome does more result-wise at Tour than just talk".

But isn't it a fact? Contador hasn't performed at the Tour since 2009 (or 2010 depending on how biased you are). Froome on the other hand has finished on the podium in three of the last four Tours and won two.
It is a fact of course, but damian13ster stated that fact purely to have a dig at Contador, which is his favorite passtime besides fanboying about Majka, and it rustles my jimmies. :)

damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
damian13ster said:
It is not my fault that 99% of your posts are the same as 99% of Tinkoff and Contador's PR - pure, and empty BS.
Stop inputing that off-topic crap into every thread on this forum and you won't have me responding to it
Stop hating on Contador at every opportunity and I'll stop calling you out on your obsessive hatred.

Then look at the thread title before inserting your Contador BS in there.
You have a thread specifically for that. Stick to it
I just replied to something SeriousSam posted, not my fault you read "Contador" and immediately felt the need to jump in and spread your hatred.

Anyway, enough of that, I apologize for steering the discussion off-topic. Can we maybe discuss Froome's outfit (as I tried to do earlier) :D

By the way, I am not an expert on Froome but he seemed a bit heavy in recent pictures, and I believe The Cound is due to give birth in a couple months, not the best preparation for a successful season I'd think?!

damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:
He was so focused to win this Tour,” says Nicolas Roche, one of Froome’s key domestiques. “He is very sure of himself on the bike. He knows no one can beat him. That gives him confidence in the decisive moments.”
Interesting coming from an experienced rider like Roche
Especially interesting considering Contador in 2014 was sure he would beat Froome because they knew the numbers necessary to be faster - and he reached those numbers.

Maybe they knew the number needed to beat him in 2013? Which might not be the same numers as required to beat him in 2014 and 2015?
We will never know.

At least Froome does more result-wise at Tour than just talk

True...but I really think Froome's greatest year was 2013. I don't think he's ever reached that high level since.

LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:
Yeah, assuming Roche was aware of that and is a trustworthy truth teller, it appears Froome has stepped it up and is now once again out of reach numbers wise. Very impressive.
That is one way to spin things. Probably, Roche is just babbling nonsense, he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. After all Froome has never raced against Contador in top shape, so he has no idea which numbers Contador can put out when he is at his absolute best.

Where to begin

Roche is actually a very smart guy and is very honest . Bit insulting to imply that he is talking nonsense or babbling . He is specifically talking about the Tour in 2015 and I think Froome was confident against Contador . In an interview before the tour he mentioned Quintana as his greatest rival. Froome & SKY knew Contador was knackered and not a threat. I noticed this at the time.How they knew I am not sure. maybe they read in on here

But I also think that Froome probably has improved numbers wise from 2014 and 2013 .
Does that make him unbeatable ...NO

It would be better if Contador was younger but I believe he has the beating of Froome if man o man on long climbs

Remember Froome was not the strongest climber in the last week of the Tour.And what i don't understand is the SKY modis operandi is so transparent . Survive in the opening week, blitz everyone the day after the rest day,control the race and hang in there on the last 2 days of climbing. Its quite simple ..its genius. Everyone goes on and on about Froome and doping and where he came from etc.He is a very good rider with a great plan and he is the best over the last 2km of a climb at speed if he can get to the point without being attacked

THis is why its is so important Contador has a good team to get him to the final week of the Tour without losing too much energy and that he can attack from further out. In that way he can beat Froome imo.
Little TT miles also would be helpful

Contador has his weaknesses but so too has Froome. 2016 Tour will be the last battle between the 2 and Contador will want to win at all costs

HelloDolly said:
LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:
Yeah, assuming Roche was aware of that and is a trustworthy truth teller, it appears Froome has stepped it up and is now once again out of reach numbers wise. Very impressive.
That is one way to spin things. Probably, Roche is just babbling nonsense, he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. After all Froome has never raced against Contador in top shape, so he has no idea which numbers Contador can put out when he is at his absolute best.

Where to begin

Roche is actually a very smart guy and is very honest . Bit insulting to imply that he is talking nonsense or babbling . He is specifically talking about the Tour in 2015 and I think Froome was confident against Contador . In an interview before the tour he mentioned Quintana as his greatest rival. Froome & SKY knew Contador was knackered and not a threat. I noticed this at the time.How they knew I am not sure. maybe they read in on here

But I also think that Froome probably has improved numbers wise from 2014 and 2013 .

It would be better if Contador was younger but I believe he has the beating of Froome if man o man on long climbs

Remember Froome was not the strongest climber in the last week of the Tour.And what i don't understand is the SKY modis operandi is so transparent . Survive in the opening week, blitz everyone the day after the rest day,control the race and hang in there on the last 2 days of climbing. Its quite simple ..its genius. Everyone goes on and on about Froome and doping and where he came from etc.He is a very good rider with a great plan and he is the best over the last 2km of a climb at speed if he can get to the point without being attacked

THis is why its is so important Contador has a good team to get him to the final week of the Tour without losing too much energy and that he can attack from further out. In that way he can beat Froome imo.

Contador has his weaknesses but so too has Froome. 2016 Tour will be the last battle between the 2 and Contador will want to win at all costs

Good sensible post.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Scarponi said:
What's going to happen if someone matches froome on that first mtf?

The battle for GC at the Tour will be genuinely exciting and close, for the first time in many years.

Worse case scenario, even if hilarious, is LRP being the second to cross the line a minute down, like in 2013 and 2015.

Jspear said:
damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:
He was so focused to win this Tour,” says Nicolas Roche, one of Froome’s key domestiques. “He is very sure of himself on the bike. He knows no one can beat him. That gives him confidence in the decisive moments.”
Interesting coming from an experienced rider like Roche
Especially interesting considering Contador in 2014 was sure he would beat Froome because they knew the numbers necessary to be faster - and he reached those numbers.

Maybe they knew the number needed to beat him in 2013? Which might not be the same numers as required to beat him in 2014 and 2015?
We will never know.

At least Froome does more result-wise at Tour than just talk

True...but I really think Froome's greatest year was 2013. I don't think he's ever reached that high level since.

Agreed. Based on last two seasons, he is still able to reach his superpeak, but the time he can hold this peak has significantly diminished. These days he needs to time his peaking much more precisely, than he needed to 2-3 years ago. hence the changes in build up of form before the Tour this year.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Scarponi said:
If that happens Froome needs to have the TT-skills that he had in 2013 or durning the first half of the 2014 season to gain some time. To be honest I was a little bit surprised that he faded in the 3rd week, he wasn't flying for the whole season like in 2013/2014, after Andalucia he was good but not great (for his standarts) in Romandie and got better and better durning the Dauphine, so I thought that he had learned from his previous mistakes and abbandoned the peaking for the whole season model because he wanted to avoid fading in the 3rd week. I still think that plan was to finish the Tour strong, so I wouldn't dismiss the talk about him being sick in the 3rd week.

Mayomaniac said:
Scarponi said:
If that happens Froome needs to have the TT-skills that he had in 2013 or durning the first half of the 2014 season to gain some time. To be honest I was a little bit surprised that he faded in the 3rd week, he wasn't flying for the whole season like in 2013/2014, after Andalucia he was good but not great (for his standarts) in Romandie and got better and better durning the Dauphine, so I thought that he had learned from his previous mistakes and abbandoned the peaking for the whole season model because he wanted to avoid fading in the 3rd week. I still think that plan was to finish the Tour strong, so I wouldn't dismiss the talk about him being sick in the 3rd week.
He fell a little ill in the third week. Coming into the third week, he still felt strong and was thinking about attacking, but then illness forced him into the defensive. That's what I heard, although they didn't make a big deal out of it.

Vasilis said:
Mayomaniac said:
Scarponi said:
He fell a little ill in the third week. Coming into the third week, he still felt strong and was thinking about attacking, but then illness forced him into the defensive. That's what I heard, although they didn't make a big deal out of it.

Yes illness for him & Richie Porte
And he was ill in 2013 on last few days

But that is the price he pays for being able to blitz everyone in the mountains in earlier stages and for being so thin. He has a small window to be at peak and win. And infairness to SKY they have played a blinder on this over the last few years

The margins between the top riders ARE actually very small

Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome delight at 'great course'

Britain's two-time Tour de France champion Chris Froome believes the route for the 2016 race is perfect for him to claim a historic hat-trick.
The course for the 103rd edition of the race was announced in Paris on Tuesday.
The 21 stages feature 28 categorised climbs, visits to Andorra, Spain and Switzerland, and two time trials.
"I think it's a great course. It really challenges every aspect of cycling - time trials, mountains, a technical descent," the Team Sky rider said.
"It's such an amazing, special race, I'm still 30 years old and feel I have a lot left in my legs.
"(Next year's course) suits me better," he added, in reference to the two time trials that total 33.5 miles, a big increase on the one short individual time trial that featured in this year's race.
The race will also return to Mont Ventoux on Bastille Day - 14 July - three years after the famous victory that effectively sealed Froome's first Tour win .
"I think the beautiful thing about the Tour de France is that it's not specifically about one stage - I think it's going to take a complete cyclist - but the stage that certainly stands out for me is Mont Ventoux," said Froome.

"I know how difficult this climb is and how much time can be won or lost on that climb."
The battle for the leader's yellow jersey will be fought out over 2,187 miles of racing from Normandy's iconic Mont-Saint-Michel to the grandiose Champs-Elysees in Paris.
After leaving Normandy, the race heads south to the Pyrenees, via a tough fifth stage to Le Lioran in the Massif Central.
That is the most challenging day in a relatively sprinter-friendly first week, which opens with a dash to Utah Beach that should put a sprinter in yellow for the third time in the past four years.
But once the race reaches the Pyrenees on stage seven, the Tour reverts to recent type and largely becomes a climbing contest, punctuated by a couple of opportunities for the speedsters and the two tests against the clock.
"It's so hard,'' said British sprinter Mark Cavendish, who is third on the all-time stage win list with 26.
"For 21 days, it's going to be full gas.'"
Among the highlights are a brutal eighth stage from Pau to Bagneres de Luchon, followed by a monumental day in Andorra, stage 17's finish on the Emosson dam in Switzerland and a decisive penultimate stage from Megeve to Morzine, via some of the Alps' most testing climbs.
French hopes will rest with the likes of Thibaut Pinot , who was third in 2014, but he was honest in his assessment of the challenge he faces in regaining a spot on the podium.
"The favourite will be Chris Froome, he's the most complete rider , he's the stronger," said Pinot.
"But it will also be good for Nairo Quintana (who finished behind Froome in 2013 and 2015)."

HelloDolly said:
LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:

Where to begin

Hopefully both will arrive in top shape and battle it out to the end, along with Quintana etc

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The favourite will be Chris Froome, he's the most complete rider , he's the stronger," said Pinot.
"But it will also be good for Nairo Quintana (who finished behind Froome in 2013 and 2015)."

A common sense assessment, coinciding with the bookmaker odds. I imagine it's the dominant view in the peloton.

damian13ster said:
Hopefully both will arrive in top shape and battle it out to the end said:
The thing is: you never know whether they are in a top shape. If Contador loses, people will claim it was because he was not in best shape. If Froome loses.... it will be exactly the same

For once I agree with you although let's be clear not to generalize and just say "some people". There are folk on this forum that are fairly reasonable and relatively unbiased when it applies to both riders. Not that I include myself as one of them, admittedly! I'm trying though. :D

TRENDING THREADS