• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 271 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:
Elite athletes can easily lose that much in a month.
So why don't they all do it :rolleyes: are they lazy, is that it? :rolleyes:

Because everyone is different

And because the ability to lose weight and keep power is just as individual and as great an asset as the ability to accelerate up a climb. Tom Dumoulin (roughly same height weight as Froome at Vuelta ) said he didn't know if he had this ability until this years Vuelta. I also know some very good riders that if they could get down to the same BMI as Froome would be far better climbers but they cannot without losing their power or/and getting sick. Wiggins has the ability to lose weight fast and keep power . Its like the brilliant recovery ability of Alberto Contador ...you either have it or you ain't

Froome will lose the weight slowly. I expect he will carry weight up to the Dauphine. Just needs to be in top form for July & August 2016. Alot of SKY riders were ill last spring and the spring before because they were very thin for long periods. Its a risk they carry so I don't expect Froome to rush to take the weight off

LaFlorecita said:
Velolover2 said:
I can easily lose 5-7 kg in a month and I'm of average weight but I guess extreme diets don't apply to cyclists. :D
I once lost 5 kg in one month without excessive exercise, and 3 months later I had gained all that weight back plus 2 extra kg. Hardly ideal for a cyclist. Don't disturb your metabolism.
Jesus H christ, if this was bertie you'd be telling us, its all ok, he needs some extra timber for the winter months

Re:

SeriousSam said:
sptdw341_670.jpg

sptdw329_670.jpg
what a fat ride the dawg is

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, obese. Surely he'll have real trouble losing all that weight again without a loss of power. Also, he can't ride descents, cobbles or hills. Oh wait.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
pink_jersey said:
Richeypen said:
CSEvzK2UcAAAuF4.jpg

Looks alright to me. Most riders' race weight is several kilos below their natural weight. He has not exactly gone Betancur has he!

He's the skinnest of 'em all...Maybe on par with Poels.
Yes, Poels is really thin, but they claim that he's 1.83m and 65kg. I think when he's in top shape he's at least 3kg lighter, I'm 1.83m 65kg when I'm in top shape and he's much thinner than me.

Cyclists probably are the exact opposite of fitness girls when lying about their weight.

Like Rasmussen is still listed at 59 kilo when in fact his raceweight was 55-57 kilos at 1.72 meters height.

Aru stated he was still above 60 kilos in May when everyone saw he was tiny under it and super skinny.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Cyclists probably are the exact opposite of fitness girls when lying about their weight.

Like Rasmussen is still listed at 59 kilo when in fact his raceweight was 55-57 kilos at 1.72 meters height.

Aru stated he was still above 60 kilos in May when everyone saw he was tiny under it and super skinny.
Aru is quite tall though.

LaFlorecita said:
staubsauger said:

Yeah I agree; Aru being 60kg I can believe, and if he is 59 or so then that makes little difference about him lying, his weight probably changes a bit day on day.

Froome just lies about it though. He's 5cm taller than Aru and 6kg lighter (Wikipedia source). And a much better climber. Froome is 63.5-65 IMHO.

LaFlorecita said:
staubsauger said:

Aru has the same height as Nibali, 1.81.

Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
staubsauger said:

Yep, and for 60kg that is quite tall :)

They all lie.

Remember when Horner released his power data? People here looked at it and said 'well, that proves he's 62.5kg, not the 66 he claims'.
The Horner fan brigade tore everyone a new one....until two months later Horner admitted at a public talk that he raced the Vuelta at 62.5

They all lie.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Froome was sick in the last part of the Tour but refused treatments needing a TUE!

Froome was well his way to winning his second Tour de France title when he fell ill. The Team Sky rider went into the final week with a 3:10 lead over second place Nairo Quintana (Movistar). That would be reduced to just over a minute by the time they reached Paris at the end of the week. He lost most time on the final mountain stage to Alpe d'Huez and said afterwards that he was close to cracking.

Unwilling to show any signs of weakness, Froome resorted to holding his breath so as not to cough in front of his rivals. It wasn't until one keen-eared journalist noticed a change in Froome's voice following the penultimate stage that he admitted he had been ill throughout closing stages.

" woke up all congested, blocked up, sore throat and I could feel it getting down into my chest, sort of tightening it. I was put on a short course of antibiotics but it had no effect. I was trying to hold it in, so my rivals wouldn't hear me coughing and wheezing . . . the most difficult times were on the start line where I had [Nairo] Quintana on one side, Contador on the other," Froome explained.

"I would be standing there with a burning sensation to cough or needing to get some phlegm up, but I would hold my breath to stop myself. I didn't want them to see I was battling with this. Just don't let them see anything. I couldn't wait for the neutral zone so I could get to the side of the road, blow my nose and get it all up."

That explains why Quintana was able to drop him towards the very end. Even sick, he was still better than many of the other top climbers in the world.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
That explains why Quintana was able to drop him towards the very end. Even sick, he was still better than many of the other top climbers in the world.
something hints that this opinion is doomed to be very unpopular on boards. :D

mindgames is definetely a key element in any grand tour because what your opponents think about your strength sometimes is more important than how strong you really are. we can infinitely discourse about nairio being not enough determined over the 3rd week but all remembered stage 10 and froome frightened the field very much back then. on pierre-saint-martine froome laid both physic and psychological foundation for his victory

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Froome was sick in the last part of the Tour but refused treatments needing a TUE!

Froome was well his way to winning his second Tour de France title when he fell ill. The Team Sky rider went into the final week with a 3:10 lead over second place Nairo Quintana (Movistar). That would be reduced to just over a minute by the time they reached Paris at the end of the week. He lost most time on the final mountain stage to Alpe d'Huez and said afterwards that he was close to cracking.

Unwilling to show any signs of weakness, Froome resorted to holding his breath so as not to cough in front of his rivals. It wasn't until one keen-eared journalist noticed a change in Froome's voice following the penultimate stage that he admitted he had been ill throughout closing stages.

" woke up all congested, blocked up, sore throat and I could feel it getting down into my chest, sort of tightening it. I was put on a short course of antibiotics but it had no effect. I was trying to hold it in, so my rivals wouldn't hear me coughing and wheezing . . . the most difficult times were on the start line where I had [Nairo] Quintana on one side, Contador on the other," Froome explained.

"I would be standing there with a burning sensation to cough or needing to get some phlegm up, but I would hold my breath to stop myself. I didn't want them to see I was battling with this. Just don't let them see anything. I couldn't wait for the neutral zone so I could get to the side of the road, blow my nose and get it all up."

I better dig out the thigh high fly-fishing boots to wade through this line of bs. Sounds like another over dramatization to add to his next book: "I climbed Alpe d'Huez with the best climbers in the world all while holding my breath (and with asthma) and lived to tell the world about it!" So we are to believe that he raced for miles upon miles waiting for the neutral zone without getting rid of any of the supposed phlegm that was building up in his system? Okay. :rolleyes:

Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:

I better dig out the thigh high fly-fishing boots to wade through this line of bs. Sounds like another over dramatization to add to his next book: "I climbed Alpe d'Huez with the best climbers in the world all while holding my breath (and with asthma) and lived to tell the world about it!" So we are to believe that he raced for miles upon miles waiting for the neutral zone without getting rid of any of the supposed phlegm that was building up in his system? Okay. :rolleyes:

Froome is our savior!

Really tho, I think Serious Sam's post is kinda trolly and he probably also knows that himself. Noticed he does that a lot when it comes to Froome since it creates the biggest outrage in here. But I think there is some truth to it.

Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:

I assumed he meant the neutral zone just after the start. If so, have some these :rolleyes: back across the net

LaFlorecita said:
Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
staubsauger said:

Yep, and for 60kg that is quite tall :)
Yeah, but I've got friends with his height that ain't fat either and they're more around 70 kilos. I guess they're even some girls that are a bit smaller, but ain't fat as well that sit around 65+ kilos as they ain't got superb low body fat percentages.

So Aru in fact is super skinny. Of course he's a full trained professional. But he also got some strong leg muscles. Not as muscular as the ones of other cyclists. But he certainly ain't got as tiny chicken legs as me and Ras as well!

Still he obviously sits just closely on top of a weight range (57-59) which would/should be my (and chickens) normal weight (still low though) while being much taller. Of course that's also his build-up to a certain degree. But claiming to be above 60 kilos with a BMI of 19-20, sounds much healthier than saying to be closely under 60 with a BMI around 18, including some muscle mass.

Re:

SeriousSam said:

Something I've been saying for a while, he fell ill in the final week. I also posted the article here. Nobody noticed though...

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

Vasilis said:
SeriousSam said:

Something I've been saying for a while, he fell ill in the final week. I also posted the article here. Nobody noticed though...

yes, i know about this post. i saw froome sick too. it was obvious. he was more pale than ever, was dropped by teammates. the flue was in camp sky anyway. movistar/nairo not using this made them less and less my favorite team/rider. to a real cyclist with brain you cannot hide illness. you can hold your brath ok,but there is not only ears, but eyes and nose and something important between the ears.

TRENDING THREADS