• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 272 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
May 13, 2015
Visit site
So what if he was sick, that falls under the recovery aspect in a GT. It should also be noted that it's easy to say after the tour is finished. Useful for playing mindgames with your opponents and as usual Sky are putting a PR spin on it with their supposed refusal of using a TUE. If any of it is true that is.

Re:

staubsauger said:
I ain't got no love for Quintana since then anymore. First Stelviogate, then he just finally really attacks Froome when he's sick. To me he's a coward. As much talent as he's got!
It's stage racing buddy, if you don't like it then you are watching the wrong sport. Should of Quintana just sat next to Froome handing him tissues and giving him warm tea? As far as "stelviogate" goes, well with or without that Quintana wins that Giro

Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
staubsauger said:
I ain't got no love for Quintana since then anymore. First Stelviogate, then he just finally really attacks Froome when he's sick. To me he's a coward. As much talent as he's got!
It's stage racing buddy, if you don't like it then you are watching the wrong sport. Should of Quintana just sat next to Froome handing him tissues and giving him warm tea? As far as "stelviogate" goes, well with or without that Quintana wins that Giro

That is your speculation, not the fact
It is only another useless speculation but without that stage he should ride much better and attack much more then he did to win giro, just count time without that one stage (even if Uran would lose some time in that stage but not more then 1 minute), he would not win, it would be much different story that giro

And Froome being sick or not Quintana need to learn how to race if he want to beat him next time
and I do not understand how anybody have problem with Quintana attacking Froome on Alpe d Huez, sick or not it is race and nobody had problem with Froome not waiting for him in stage to Zeeland :)

Re:

staubsauger said:

This post is sheer idiocy. The idea of an attack is to hit your opponent where they are weak and/or when they least expect it. If Froome wasn't fearful of the consequences of his rivals being aware that he was sick, he would've found no need to hide it from them. What is cowardly is internet warriors calling riders cowards from the anonymous safety of their pc's.

Angliru said:
staubsauger said:

This post is sheer idiocy. The idea of an attack is to hit your opponent where they are weak and/or when they least expect it. If Froome wasn't fearful of the consequences of his rivals being aware that he was sick, he would've found no need to hide it from them. What is cowardly is internet warriors calling riders cowards from the anonymous safety of their pc's.
If he had attacked him hard earlier on already, I would be quiet. If it wasn't for Stelviogate the year before as well, I would also be quiet. But together, I stay with my words :)

staubsauger said:
Angliru said:
staubsauger said:

If he had attacked him hard earlier on already, I would be quiet. If it wasn't for Stelviogate the year before as well, I would also be quiet. But together, I stay with my words :)

I can understand some people being upset about Stelvio...but how in the world can you criticize him for his attack in this Tour. Did Quintana know Froome was sick? Please tell - what is a professional rider being paid to win the TdF suppose to do? The yellow jersey didn't have a flat, didn't crash, didn't get caught up in any other bad luck.

Jspear said:
staubsauger said:
Angliru said:
staubsauger said:

I can understand some people being upset about Stelvio...but how in the world can you criticize him for his attack in this Tour. Did Quintana know Froome was sick? Please tell - what is a professional rider being paid to win the TdF suppose to do? The yellow jersey didn't have a flat, didn't crash, didn't get caught up in any other bad luck.
I think that something is lost in translation here. Maybe OP is calling Quintana a coward because he didn't attack before last stage, and not because he attacked when Froome got sick?

Thats the only way I can justify that post

damian13ster said:
Jspear said:
staubsauger said:
Angliru said:
staubsauger said:

I think that something is lost in translation here. Maybe OP is calling Quintana a coward because he didn't attack before last stage, and not because he attacked when Froome got sick?

Thats the only way I can justify that post

I was posting based off this. "First Stelviogate, then he just finally really attacks Froome when he's sick."

I wouldn't even call it cowardly to attack when an other rider is sick, but that isn't even the point. Quintana did attack some before then...the attacks just didn't stick. Also how could Quintana have known Froome wasn't feeling well because of illness? He is suppose to attack when he thinks Froome is weak. It's not his job to determine whether that is general fatigue or actual sickness.

Re:

Metabolol said:
So what if he was sick, that falls under the recovery aspect in a GT. It should also be noted that it's easy to say after the tour is finished. Useful for playing mindgames with your opponents and as usual Sky are putting a PR spin on it with their supposed refusal of using a TUE. If any of it is true that is.
I already knew this during the Tour, Porte made a remark about Froome still being so strong despite the illness he'd been struggling with. Só they're not just saying it in hindsight. Also, it's not Sky PR, because Sky did want Froome to apply for a TUE, it was Froome himself who didn't want to. In any case, he won the Tour fair and square, regardless of what happened.

Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:
Froome was sick in the last part of the Tour but refused treatments needing a TUE!

Froome was well his way to winning his second Tour de France title when he fell ill. The Team Sky rider went into the final week with a 3:10 lead over second place Nairo Quintana (Movistar). That would be reduced to just over a minute by the time they reached Paris at the end of the week. He lost most time on the final mountain stage to Alpe d'Huez and said afterwards that he was close to cracking.

Unwilling to show any signs of weakness, Froome resorted to holding his breath so as not to cough in front of his rivals. It wasn't until one keen-eared journalist noticed a change in Froome's voice following the penultimate stage that he admitted he had been ill throughout closing stages.

" woke up all congested, blocked up, sore throat and I could feel it getting down into my chest, sort of tightening it. I was put on a short course of antibiotics but it had no effect. I was trying to hold it in, so my rivals wouldn't hear me coughing and wheezing . . . the most difficult times were on the start line where I had [Nairo] Quintana on one side, Contador on the other," Froome explained.

"I would be standing there with a burning sensation to cough or needing to get some phlegm up, but I would hold my breath to stop myself. I didn't want them to see I was battling with this. Just don't let them see anything. I couldn't wait for the neutral zone so I could get to the side of the road, blow my nose and get it all up."

That explains why Quintana was able to drop him towards the very end. Even sick, he was still better than many of the other top climbers in the world.

I better dig out the thigh high fly-fishing boots to wade through this line of bs. Sounds like another over dramatization to add to his next book: "I climbed Alpe d'Huez with the best climbers in the world all while holding my breath (and with asthma) and lived to tell the world about it!" So we are to believe that he raced for miles upon miles waiting for the neutral zone without getting rid of any of the supposed phlegm that was building up in his system? Okay. :rolleyes:

Truth or BS, why make these statements? It is so graceless. What does it do but aggrandise oneself and diminish one's opponents long after the event? He already showed his strength by winning the Tour. Surely far far more classy to underplay the situation and allow one's opponents the honour in their achievement, instead of trying to undermine it.

Re:

dacooley said:
for many it's so difficult to get over their hate or pathological dislike for froome, even impossible i'd say

I'm not justifying it at all, but...have you ever wondered why some riders have a large group of people that greatly dislike them? There are some riders that one might dislike, but the fan hardly feels the need to speak of this dislike. Other riders like Froome seem to attract great negativity. Wonder why....

Jspear said:
dacooley said:
for many it's so difficult to get over their hate or pathological dislike for froome, even impossible i'd say

I'm not justifying it at all, but...have you ever wondered why some riders have a large group of people that greatly dislike them? There are some riders that one might dislike, but the fan hardly feels the need to speak of this dislike. Other riders like Froome seem to attract great negativity. Wonder why....

Maybe because he consistently beats their favorite rider

del1962 said:
Jspear said:
dacooley said:

Even Froome can be favourite rider, which beat everyone else but for some reason he is not

May 13, 2015
Visit site

Vasilis said:
Metabolol said:
I already knew this during the Tour, Porte made a remark about Froome still being so strong despite the illness he'd been struggling with. Só they're not just saying it in hindsight. Also, it's not Sky PR, because Sky did want Froome to apply for a TUE, it was Froome himself who didn't want to. In any case, he won the Tour fair and square, regardless of what happened.

I don't trust them, it might still be a PR thing. Nothing stops them from saying that the team wanted him to apply for a TUE but he refused.

del1962 said:
Jspear said:
dacooley said:

I wasn't around back in 2009. Was there this much animosity towards AC when he was the top dog beating everyone's favorite rider?

Jspear said:
dacooley said:

because fans, unlike riders, are extremely touchy creatures and while bertie or nibs say to themselves,: 'Every year I must prove I'm the best', part of their fans have nothing left but throw mud at froome. eventually, the 2015 tour changed nothing - froome is severely underestimated on here primarily because people fear him and don't want to see him winning.

another interesting/funny fact is how all the bashers, did root for him against Wiggins in 2012, they would have loved seeing froome smash Wiggins.
when I read some sheer hating posts now, I smile a bit remembering how people cheered for Froome to get yellow in 2012.

there is also the fact that many fans on both sides (Alberto's and Froome's) look at the other fans and rider from their high horse, the holier than thou point of view, the "great Alberto Contador" and the "Great Chris Froome" points of view.
that's what sometimes bring the discussion into bad tracks, the feeling that your fav rider (being it Froome or Alberto) somehow deserves to be stronger, to beat the other rival who does not deserve to win.

luckily athletes do not think that way

del1962 said:
Jspear said:
dacooley said:

BINGO!!!!!!

rick james said:
del1962 said:
Jspear said:
dacooley said:

BINGO!!!!!!

no, it's no 100% because of that. people disliked Froome when he lost the Vuelta last year too. the same level of dislike even if Alberto beat him.
you never hear-read so many complains about a riding style of a rider in the history of cycling forums (the answer will be: we never saw a so badly styled rider during the history of cycling forums. the reply will be: when did style won races?)

the dislike and sheer hate for any breath/word/action it's something Sky built against itself year after year.
look at how Roche was not that disliked at Ag2r or Tinkoff, his Vuelta win 2 years ago was welcomed,
remember how Poels was praised winning at Pays Vasco and being a great domestique at the Giro,
remember the Henao topic opened a few years ago (a great star on the european scene, everybody upbeat for this colombian) while now people just ask about his altitude values, and will cheer again for him when he signs for [put any other team name here]
2wheeltonio tweeted a pic of a bunch of euro to Nieve after he re-upped for Sky. while he would have welcomed him with open arms to Tinkoff. or the level of madness against Porte is sometimes ridicolous.
I am curious about next year when Kwiato will wear the black/blue jersey.
I am a Sky fan, but I am aware Sky make people mad. and they just have themselves to blame, with their narrative, ZTP, marginal gains etc.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I still like:

* Roche
* Nieve
* Poels
* Konig
* Nordhaug

And next year Kwiat too.

Sorry to burst that bubble.

And I dont dislike Froomedawg too by the way, he is just so ridiculous it breaks my heart.

TRENDING THREADS