• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 279 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Re:

dacooley said:
does anyone question froome's extreme talent? :)

Besides road-side fans, Twitter, Facebook, every comments section of every cycling website everywhere, forums around the globe, journalists, ex-pros, pseudo scientists and real scientists?

No, I suppose not.

Re: Re:

Jacques de Molay said:
dacooley said:

Besides road-side fans, Twitter, Facebook, every comments section of every cycling website everywhere, forums around the globe, journalists, ex-pros, pseudo scientists and real scientists?

No, I suppose not.
untalented rider is not able to finish in top 10 in grand tour not to mention about winning the tour tour twice. we are saying about the sport covered by incessant doubts, however some riders are forgiven for these doubts and turn into idols despite doubts and allegations while other ones get massive hate on completely irrational basis. to me, it says about nothing but agressiveness and immature of human nature. surely that's way easier and sweeter to hate froome than to convince his phenomenon.

Froome has many talents, some discovered later in his career, like the ability to climb better than most and timetrial better than Canc and his captain Wiggo somewhere in Spain during the month of August in 2011. Probably he showed the talent to climb with "his elbows bent as if pushing a supermarket trolley, head tilted like he's wedging a phone on his shoulder" earlier but due to the fact that he was most of the time somewhere in the gruppetto we were not able to see him much. Still a long road to legendary status.

dacooley said:
Jacques de Molay said:
dacooley said:

No, I suppose not.
untalented rider is not able to finish in top 10 in grand tour not to mention about winning the tour tour twice. we are saying about the sport covered by incessant doubts, however some riders are forgiven for these doubts and turn into idols despite doubts and allegations while other ones get massive hate on completely irrational basis. to me, it says about nothing but agressiveness and immature of human nature. surely that's way easier and sweeter to hate froome than to convince his phenomenon.

He said "extreme talent". All professional cyclists have talent, don't they?
Extreme talent is a little bit relative, but I think that it's not a coincidence that Froome has a multiple-times larger thread in the clinic forum than here, don't you think? another person with this charakteristic is Lance Armstrong and in his case I would say the same: extremely talented GC rider? Hell no.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
To me it is way to early to even consider Froome. in the rarefied air of Legendary Status. He has done some impressive things very late in his career. And all of it while being on a semi state sponsored team. Read into that what you wish. He has won 2 tours. Not 5. He has also shown you. Nothing outside of his transformation years. Pre Vuelta.

Yes this is a Froome thread. IMHO Contador has 9 Gt's. Nibs has 3. Both of them have won all 3 Gt's. Which to me is an amazing feat. Froome has a long road to get too were they are IMHO. Basing my opinion on AC's recent comments and Nibs actions in the Tour towards Froome. I don't see Froome as a well respected rider in the peloton. Also his and Porte's antics have not earned them many fans in the Peloton. IMHO

Cheers

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Froome has many talents, some discovered later in his career, like the ability to climb better than most and timetrial better than Canc and his captain Wiggo somewhere in Spain during the month of August in 2011. Probably he showed the talent to climb with "his elbows bent as if pushing a supermarket trolley, head tilted like he's wedging a phone on his shoulder" earlier but due to the fact that he was most of the time somewhere in the gruppetto we were not able to see him much. Still a long road to legendary status.

Thanks for the chuckle! I needed that after a long day on the job.

Re:

thehook said:
Yes this is a Froome thread. IMHO Contador has 9 Gt's. Nibs has 3. Both of them have won all 3 Gt's. Which to me is an amazing feat. Froome has a long road to get too were they are IMHO. Basing my opinion on AC's recent comments and Nibs actions in the Tour towards Froome. I don't see Froome as a well respected rider in the peloton. Also his and Porte's antics have not earned them many fans in the Peloton. IMHO

As far as GT's go, surely you don't mean that you think Nibali winning each GT once is more impressive than Froome theoretically winning the Tour three times?

I'm curious about the second bolded part. What has AC said to make you think he is not respected? I'm not sure there's been a true jefe since Armstrong. Remember AC getting taken out in the 2013 Tour without anyone saying a word? As for Nibali's actions towards Froome, I am not sure you can judge peloton's respect for Froome off of all that.

Having said all that, I think if Contador manages to win the Tour next year, he is a legend. If Froome or Nibali win two more Tours over legit, in-shape, top-notch competition, he is a legend. Contador has many dramatic victories with panache, was the only guy to man up and stick it to LA, will have one Tours over a span of 9 years (if he wins next year), will have won all three GTs multiple times, beaten a host of competitors who have risen and fallen during his time, and that Verbier climb...

Valv.Piti said:
djpbaltimore said:
To each their own, but I would rather take the 4 TDFs. Nibali's palmares is still top notch without question too.

I would also take 4 TdF's anyday since its still, by far, the biggest event in cycling and almost always is the hardest and hotly contested race.

Yes, exactly. Four Tours are more prestigious, in modern cycling. I will always prefer a rider who wins four different major races to one who wins one race four times, but unfortunately my preference does not decide the relative prestige of wins.

Billie said:
jsem94 said:
So how do you define a legend? If Lemond is a legend, then Froome is not THAT far behind.

LeMond is easily the Most overrated cyclist off all time. Constantly put in all time top 10's. makes me cringe. :rolleyes:

Three Tours and 2 world road championships, battled with Hinault and Fignon and won. No, he's not overrated. What has Froome done in comparison to make him worthy of legend status?

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

VayaVayaVaya said:
thehook said:

As far as GT's go, surely you don't mean that you think Nibali winning each GT once is more impressive than Froome theoretically winning the Tour three times?

I'm curious about the second bolded part. What has AC said to make you think he is not respected? I'm not sure there's been a true jefe since Armstrong. Remember AC getting taken out in the 2013 Tour without anyone saying a word? As for Nibali's actions towards Froome, I am not sure you can judge peloton's respect for Froome off of all that.

Having said all that, I think if Contador manages to win the Tour next year, he is a legend. If Froome or Nibali win two more Tours over legit, in-shape, top-notch competition, he is a legend. Contador has many dramatic victories with panache, was the only guy to man up and stick it to LA, will have one Tours over a span of 9 years (if he wins next year), will have won all three GTs multiple times, beaten a host of competitors who have risen and fallen during his time, and that Verbier climb...

IMHO. Froome winning 2 Tours. Is not as big a feat as winning all 3 GT's. That is an accomplishment over 3 separate parcours, weather, time in season. To me. That is a MASSIVE achievement.

AC's recent comments about Froome & Andy Schleck. To me although cryptic. Speak Volumes!

thehook said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
thehook said:

AC's recent comments about Froome & Andy Schleck. To me although cryptic. Speak Volumes!

What are the comments you're referencing? I'm curious and haven't seen them.

thehook said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
thehook said:

IMHO. Froome winning 2 Tours. Is not as big a feat as winning all 3 GT's. That is an accomplishment over 3 separate parcours, weather, time in season. To me. That is a MASSIVE achievement.

Far outweighs 2 tours IMO. Only 6 men have ever accomplished it. It is one of the hallmarks of a Great Champion.

thehook said:
Yes, I agree. Reading between the lines Alberto often says interesting things. Although I guess he could have just meant that Andy was very talented but didn't work hard. But to me it seems like that is not what he was trying to say (why else be so cryptic).

Re:

rick james said:
You guys are only saying what you want to see, trying to second guess everything Contador says just to have digs at Froome is crazy.
+1. many fans who fell in love with contador seem to be unable to treat froome without biased negativism probably because exactly froome (sky) broke an absolute bertie's kingship in the grand tours over 2007-2011.

dacooley said:
rick james said:
You guys are only saying what you want to see, trying to second guess everything Contador says just to have digs at Froome is crazy.
+1. many fans who fell in love with contador seem to be unable to treat froome without biased negativism probably because exactly froome (sky) broke an absolute bertie's kingship in the grand tours over 2007-2011.

They only broke his "kingship" in 2013...that isn't so bad. He wasn't there in 2012, the tarmac took him out in 2014, and the Giro in 2015.

Re:

rick james said:

I'm curious to hear what your interpretation of what was said might be. It plainly quotes that he rates Froome as his "most difficult" opponent and Andy as the "most talented".

Chris Froome will start his 2016 season at the Jayco Herald Sun Tour as the reigning Tour de France champion looks to make it another year to remember.
The two-time winner of the world's biggest bike race will become the first Tour de France champion to compete in Australia's oldest stage race, with Team Sky also making their debut at the event.
The 63rd edition of the race will be staged from Wednesday 3rd to Sunday 7th February, as the climax to the summer of cycling. Commencing with a 2.1-kilometre prologue and finishing with a showdown on Arthurs Seat, the event will also ride through the Yarra Valley and Gippsland during the five days.
Froome will make his 2016 season debut in Victoria, using the Jayco Herald Sun Tour as the launch pad for his back-to-back yellow jersey assault at next year's Tour de France.
Froome said: "I'm really pleased to start my 2016 season at the Jayco Herald Sun Tour. Victoria is a beautiful part of the world and racing in the warm climate will give me a good platform for the new season. We don't often get a chance to race in front of our Aussie fans so we're all looking forward to seeing them over there as well."
2016 promises to be a huge year the 30-year-old, with the Tour de France title defence and a tilt at the Rio Olympic Games time trial and road race among the major dates in his calendar.
Froome rode in the 2008 Jayco Herald Sun Tour as a 23-year-old member of the Barloworld team, coming off a debut Tour de France where he rode strongly up Alpe d'Huez and in the final time trial

TRENDING THREADS