• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 339 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
I think tomorrow is the day he will show again he is the best of the world. It is a quite flat day, we came from flat stages, there is hot weather, and Aspin is not a bad climb for him...

The day is not long, the oly bad thing for him, but if the team put a high pace he could warm up before the end of Aspin and to drop everybody and taking more time at the final Km.

It will be more dificult in Andorra after some days in the mountains. Saturday,, who knows, but is a day for climbers ad with a long descent at the end...

Re:

dacooley said:
i'd rather inclined to think froome preferred not to waste any single extra watt yesterday. really difficult to imagine him not able to respond to a 200 meter pull on false flat.

I never said he could not respond but I think he was surprised by the attack. After all GVA had the stage won and it seemed that the GC group was just going to coast to the line. Maybe Bardet was just testing the legs.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
I think tomorrow is the day he will show again he is the best of the world. It is a quite flat day, we came from flat stages, there is hot weather, and Aspin is not a bad climb for him...

The day is not long, the oly bad thing for him, but if the team put a high pace he could warm up before the end of Aspin and to drop everybody and taking more time at the final Km.

It will be more dificult in Andorra after some days in the mountains. Saturday,, who knows, but is a day for climbers ad with a long descent at the end...

I think you will be surprised: going off what Sky say, and more inportNtthe parcours of this TDF, I will be very surprised if he attacks tomorrow, I see him "keeping his powder dry," until Andorra and Ventoux.

they did spend time on Sunday route and on Ventoux in June. I don't think they want the yellow jersey early in this TDF like they did in 2013 and 2015. gaining time on the GC contenders Sunday , taking the jersey on Ventoux, maybe the plan

Re:

CTQ said:
they did spend time on Sunday route and on Ventoux in June. I don't think they want the yellow jersey early in this TDF like they did in 2013 and 2015. gaining time on the GC contenders Sunday , taking the jersey on Ventoux, maybe the plan
I think there's no concern about taking the jersey tomorrow. GVA should be able to keep it.
Breakaways could be their insurance during the weekend and there they are in Provence.

Re: Re:

Poursuivant said:
Taxus4a said:

I think you will be surprised: going off what Sky say, and more inportNtthe parcours of this TDF, I will be very surprised if he attacks tomorrow, I see him "keeping his powder dry," until Andorra and Ventoux.

I think Movistar will test Contador again but with a descent after the last climb I don't think Sky will do much unless the GC group is blown apart on the climb and the opportunity to build a time gap it too good to refuse. I think there are better stages ahead for Froome but Contador can't afford to lose more time with harder stages to come.

I think tomorrow will be the day for Froome but I am sure the first GC group over the top of the final climb will be small and some riders will want to push on. Froome would be expected to be in that group with Quintana and this stage should be a better indicator of Contador's form and recovery.

Thomas indicated in an interview earlier in the week that Sunday was the big day for Froome. In my opinion Arcalis, Ventoux and then the TT are the 3 biggest days for Froome to take time. I'd be surprised if he tries something today unless Quintana seems to be struggling.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The best way to transform a strength advantage into time gains is through MTFs and ITTs. If there's a descent in there, there's a risk all that effort is for nothing. Of course, desperate riders looking for every edge should be rolling the dice, but the favourites needn't do that.

Today, I think Sky and Movistar will be content with just making it hard, to that the time gains tomorrow are once again going to be astronomical.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Today is a stage that is too hard to expect nothing, especially from lesser riders. If Porte is gonna do nothing, then what the hell is he doing here?

Might save himself and try to win on Arcalis? He's certainly capable, especially if Froome is still feeling a bit unwell

He wasn't well?

Voice sounded different in an interview before stage 5, and he didn't seem fully comfortable on that stage either

TRENDING THREADS