• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 342 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

burning said:
Gloin22 said:
cantpedal said:
Gloin22 said:
movingtarget said:
Not bad for an awful bike handler ! Quintana has to respond tomorrow and I am sure he will try.

Well the descent was just straight roads..you hardly have to be a good bike handler for that.

Kudos anyway, he knows Quintana will gain time on him now and needs buffer for 3rd week. And he doesn't have the cobbles help he had last year. He needs 2 minutes on Nairo to be comfortable in last week imho.

Are you aware that he took 0 min 0secs of Quintana on the cobbles last year? Invalid point plus he has TTs and will be in far better shape in the final weeks because of his Olympic aims, good try though!

Don't like fans getting in rider's faces. Don't like riders hitting fans. Didn't like it when Contador did it. Don't like it when Froome does it. Quite aside from it being completely unnecessary violence, it will only escalate hostility between riders and subsets of fans and sooner or later some fan will take a swing back.

As for the actual race, Chapeau to Chris Froome.

Hgriffiths2606 said:
Well the descent was just straight roads..you hardly have to be a good bike handler for that.

Kudos anyway, he knows Quintana will gain time on him now and needs buffer for 3rd week. And he doesn't have the cobbles help he had last year. He needs 2 minutes on Nairo to be comfortable in last week imho.

Are you aware that he took 0 min 0secs of Quintana on the cobbles last year? Invalid point plus he has TTs and will be in far better shape in the final weeks because of his Olympic aims, good try though!

Those cobbles were pretty much as smooth as tarmac

Has to be admitted, Froome brought the excitement today.
That downhill was hair raising.

And it isn't the first time he thrilled us.
His self-paced performances after being dropped were something to remember, as well.
And his every Tour stage victory was a prominent display of strength.

Can't be said he's a boring rider.

I'm starting to really like this guy.
The way he has improved his riding skills in recent years is amazing. We saw it last year on the cobbles, we are seeing it this year on the descent. Balls of steel on pedalling in that position... insane I would say.

As for the punch... Chris! Next time much much harder! That's all those morons deserve!

WOOHOO CF! Nice move! HMM...Who can't descend?

I hate to advocate punching someone, but what are the riders supposed to do when idiots are jeopardizing their race? He isn't the first, nor will he be the last champ to react that way. AC flattened a massengill's nose a few years back,

Re:

jmdirt said:
WOOHOO CF! Nice move! HMM...Who can't descend?

I hate to advocate punching someone, but what are the riders supposed to do when idiots are jeopardizing their race? He isn't the first, nor will he be the last champ to react that way. AC flattened a massengill's nose a few years back,

Agreed. What are the riders supposed to do?
The fine doesnt make sense though.

I wish the organisation defended the riders a bit more instead of fining them when they are being endangered or does the organisation feel that people running along is something that belongs to cycling? I hope not....

Sure he hit the guy quite hard, but these guys are on the limit and it's not like he had time to think about what to do. It's more or less a reflex.

I'm not really happy about riders hitting spectators, but from their perspective it's understandable.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
rick james said:
El Pistolero said:
rick james said:
He is saying he is getting abuse for pushing that fan away

He didn't push, he hit him with a fist in his face. Showing his true nature.
Offt, someone is hurting...what the money if you were at the side of the road you'd throw a cup of piss at him?

To be fair, that cup never tested positive for urine. We cannot rule out that it was Heineken

At least we know it wasn't Carling. That would have been worse than urine.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
rick james said:

It's not like spectators ever cause unnecessary crashes, so it's totally unreasonable for Froome to be pissed at someone who could potentially end his Tour and all the training he must have put in to get here.

How many times has a spectator caused a crash when they were going uphill? Push them away, don't hit them in the face unless they're actually doing something seriously wrong. The guy was just running besides him.

But hey, we're talking about the guy who stole baby rabbits from a kindergarten to feed his pet snake. Like I said, that's his true nature.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
rick james said:

It's not like spectators ever cause unnecessary crashes, so it's totally unreasonable for Froome to be pissed at someone who could potentially end his Tour and all the training he must have put in to get here.

How many times has a spectator caused a crash when they were going uphill? Push them away, don't hit them in the face unless they're actually doing something seriously wrong. The guy was just running besides him.

But hey, we're talking about the guy who stole baby rabbits from a kindergarten to feed his pet snake. Like I said, that's his true nature.
Exactly, Froome's nasty personality has once again come to light. I don't know why so many people think he's a nice guy, just look at those eyes you can tell there's evil in him. In that respect his eyes remind me of Armstrong's, his personality could well be similar.

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Found it a lengthy video of stage 8 with Froome's attack. His tactic was pretty genius. Attacking while the others are resting at the top and getting bottles. Never seen that before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9LJLGdDeFU

Thanks.

I can get in a low tuck on the top tube for a short while when I run out of gears, on empty roads I know. For that long, that far forward, with the crazy cadence and knees level with the forks (!), up to 80 kmh?

Not. A. Chance.

Chapeau.

Quoteing Hgriffiths2606

Are you aware that he took 0 min 0secs of Quintana on the cobbles last year? Invalid point plus he has TTs and will be in far better shape in the final weeks because of his Olympic aims, good try though![/quote]

Response
he took about 15 sec between 7.5 and 5 k near the bottom of the decent and 10 to 12 at the start of the decent. the were the "technical" parts of the course they held him to ablut a 10 -12 sec gap in the "straight" middle section

El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
rick james said:

Don't get me wrong, I know he's two faced and that actually he's quite ruthless, with another good example being the way he registered for the 2006 Commonwealth TT.

But that doesn't mean what he did today was another example of that. He was quite right to be frustrated, and sure, he didn't need to use that much force, but come on. You're super focused at that point in the race, and the last thing you need is a fan getting way too close, so in the heat of the moment he lashed out. Not saying it was right, but it's not as bad as you're making out either

Ramon Koran said:
Exactly, Froome's nasty personality has once again come to light. I don't know why so many people think he's a nice guy, just look at those eyes you can tell there's evil in him. In that respect his eyes remind me of Armstrong's, his personality could well be similar.
Interpol should circulate a red notice.
... For speeding.

Ramon Koran said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
rick james said:

Dear me. I actually laughed out loud at this. Let go of the hate.

Ramon Koran said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
rick james said:

not as good a swing as your boys i'll admit
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/16/0F2F5E8D00000578-0-image-a-4_1424107604460.jpg

El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
rick james said:

bait bait bait.
Froome can't help it that the fellows head was exactly at his elbow height! :)

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
Exactly, Froome's nasty personality has once again come to light. I don't know why so many people think he's a nice guy, just look at those eyes you can tell there's evil in him.

Anakin:

article-2435574-1AD6312E000005DC-499_634x462.jpg

Chris:

JakeLloyd0001.jpg

Just sayin'