• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 361 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
SKSemtex said:
Red Rick said:
SKSemtex said:
Anybody has prediction who will be in Froomes train in Vuelta? Froome desperatly needs to beat Conti here otherwise half of the forum will never admit he is 3 times TDF champ :)
I've yet to see somebody deny that.

Train is also approximately 62.4% less important in the Vuelta. Maybe more. I calculated that using science.

You are right. I should have said "otherwise 3/4 of the forum will never admit he is better then Conti :) ".
If Conti wins here mano a mano we are where we were before the Tour.

Why? AC winning should be expected. It was no shock when Froome beat AC with the Giro in his legs, it should be no shock AC beating a Tour tired Froome.

Re:

dacooley said:
Inspired Dawg beating AC would not be a big shock too.

I think it would be an amazing feat. I would have nothing but good things to say about Froome if he managed it, but it will be extremely difficult. Froome has said he was peaking for the 3rd week of the Tour. The 3rd week is over. His peak peak form won't last forever. He has Rio before the Vuelta. Winning the Vuelta isn't very likely.

Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
Another Tour victory is usually (as always, it depends on the context under which the race is won) much more impressive than winning either of the other two GTs and it's not even close. When Armstrong had those 6 Tours, winning a 7th still did much more for his palmares than a Giro or Vuelta would have.

There's a reason most of Contador's non Tour victories are a result of circumstances preventing his participation at the Tour.

That's complete bs. 6 Tours & 1 Giro would have been much bigger proof that he could handle a variety of weather and tougher parcours

PremierAndrew said:
SeriousSam said:
Another Tour victory is usually (as always, it depends on the context under which the race is won) much more impressive than winning either of the other two GTs and it's not even close. When Armstrong had those 6 Tours, winning a 7th still did much more for his palmares than a Giro or Vuelta would have.

There's a reason most of Contador's non Tour victories are a result of circumstances preventing his participation at the Tour.

That's complete bs. 6 Tours & 1 Giro would have been much bigger proof that he could handle a variety of weather and tougher parcours
The only reason why Armstrong ever dared to win that 7th Tour was imho the new sponsorship deal with Discovery Channel which stated Armstrong has to attempt the Tour once in either 2005 or 2006. Lance always intended to retire after the 2005 season so a 7th Tour victory was the only option. If US Postal had prolonged it's sponsorship for 2 more years I fully believe Armstrong would've raced and won the 2005 Giro. People seem to forget that the original intention of his comeback was to win the anniversary Giro in 2009. Since he felt it was a big miss in his palmares and thought he could do it after someone like Sastre even won the Tour!

Jspear said:
SlickMongoose said:
Valv.Piti said:
Hoping he will chill a bit with the crits and get some rest. Will be very hard to compete for the win otherwise

They're all fixed anyway, right?

Yeah I don't think they push themselves that much.

True, but it's a distraction from training and doesn't encourage good habits. For instance Froome was interviewed when he was in Aalst yesterday. He said he flew from Paris to London and then to Belgium, and the only sleep he got was on the short journey over. He'd also been drinking on Sunday and drank more on Monday. Now, I'm all for cyclists letting their hair down and acting like normal people, but I'm guessing Team Sky don't recommend Froome's current booze to snooze ratio as ideal Olympics/Vuelta preparation.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Flamin said:
Froome really deserves massive credits for riding the Vuelta after having won the Tour. Again.

Agree, i love his mentality. If it wasn't for Alberto getting crushed by him sometimes and for sky, i would cheer for him

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

TMP402 said:
Jspear said:
SlickMongoose said:
Valv.Piti said:
Hoping he will chill a bit with the crits and get some rest. Will be very hard to compete for the win otherwise

True, but it's a distraction from training and doesn't encourage good habits. For instance Froome was interviewed when he was in Aalst yesterday. He said he flew from Paris to London and then to Belgium, and the only sleep he got was on the short journey over. He'd also been drinking on Sunday and drank more on Monday. Now, I'm all for cyclists letting their hair down and acting like normal people, but I'm guessing Team Sky don't recommend Froome's current booze to snooze ratio as ideal Olympics/Vuelta preparation.

I'm willing to bet none of that will affect Froome. We've all seen how ridiculous he and his team are...

El Pistolero said:
TMP402 said:
Jspear said:
SlickMongoose said:
Valv.Piti said:

I'm willing to bet none of that will affect Froome. We've all seen how ridiculous he and his team are...

Well, he did lots of crits last year and was still pretty good in the Vuelta, so perhaps not. The Olympics makes this year different, though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Valverde ruining my enjoyment for the Giro and Froome for the Vuelta. The Armstrong era is looking very good right about now. At least he only ruined one race.

And why the *** are they giving Landa so many chances? Why not Poels? Being a Sky domestique must really pay well because that's all you're getting from that team if your name is not Froome.

SKSemtex said:
Red Rick said:
SKSemtex said:
Anybody has prediction who will be in Froomes train in Vuelta? Froome desperatly needs to beat Conti here otherwise half of the forum will never admit he is 3 times TDF champ :)
I've yet to see somebody deny that.

Train is also approximately 62.4% less important in the Vuelta. Maybe more. I calculated that using science.

You are right. I should have said "otherwise 3/4 of the forum will never admit he is better then Conti :) ".
If Conti wins here mano a mano we are where we were before the Tour.

But the Dawg spanked him on the run up the the Tour, but I guess some are so caught up on the fact that its only Bertie that can improve between the Dauphine and the Tour! :redface:

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Froome riding the Vuelta is good news, Vuelta Froome is usually fun to watch and the teams tents to be less dominant, if that Froome showed up in every race without his dominant Skytrain I'd probably cheer for him.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
Valverde ruining my enjoyment for the Giro and Froome for the Vuelta. The Armstrong era is looking very good right about now. At least he only ruined one race.

And why the **** are they giving Landa so many chances? Why not Poels? Being a Sky domestique must really pay well because that's all you're getting from that team if your name is not Froome.
How did Valverde ruin your enjoyment for the Giro? :confused:

Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:
Flamin said:
Froome really deserves massive credits for riding the Vuelta after having won the Tour. Again.

Agree, i love his mentality. If it wasn't for Alberto getting crushed by him sometimes and for sky, i would cheer for him

Something that Alberto never has done

You can even argue he was 'forced' to ride his home race, all the 3 times he has won it.

Contador giving two cracks at the Giro-Tour is even more commendable.

Re:

El Pistolero said:

And why the **** are they giving Landa so many chances? Why not Poels? Being a Sky domestique must really pay well because that's all you're getting from that team if your name is not Froome.

Well, his next deal is probably going to be seven figures and few teams have that budget.

PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:
Flamin said:

Something that Alberto never has done

You can even argue he was 'forced' to ride his home race, all the 3 times he has won it.

Contador giving two cracks at the Giro-Tour is even more commendable.

He did choose to ride the Giro 2015, yes, not really 2011. And 08 was obviously due to Astana shenanigans. So he has actively chosen to ride 1 (ONE) GT which has not been TdF.

TRENDING THREADS